• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Retool: Stage 2

Tatar is signed for 2 more seasons, there is no reason to extend him and by the time his contract is up he will be 30 and we should have replacements coming up in the system.

Tatar got detroit a 1st/2nd/3rd. Now, since we are not in rebuild mode, we won't trade him. But given what he did last year and his salary, he should net a late first. That's why we will never win sht, we just went from rebuild to win now mode and won't do anything properly.

Tatar got detroit a 1st/2nd/3rd. Now, since we are not in rebuild mode, we won't trade him. But given what he did last year and his salary, he should net a late first. That's why we will never win sht, we just went from rebuild to win now mode and won't do anything properly.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a good return, most people would, that is not the question. The question is will someone offer that in the summer? That wa a deadline deal and teams have overpaid for a run many times. If he can net us even a first and a solid prospect I would do it at this point.

I'm expecting him to stay though, Julien loves that line and I suspect Bergevin is happy with them too. They where a bright spot this season.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a good return, most people would, that is not the question. The question is will someone offer that in the summer? That wa a deadline deal and teams have overpaid for a run many times. If he can net us even a first and a solid prospect I would do it at this point.

I'm expecting him to stay though, Julien loves that line and I suspect Bergevin is happy with them too. They where a bright spot this season.

Do you agree the goal is to make the playoffs next year now given the record this year? If so, what in the last 25 years has led you to believe that we would flip players for younger/picks while competing for a spot? Never have, never will. That's why the tank thread will start again shortly.

Except they are not. They got younger.

It would be prudent to watch what happens this summer before making that determination. Bolster the D, fix the PP (Muller has to be stripped of this duty) and get another 25-30 goal man and the Habs will be above average. No I am not expecting the kind of offensive output of the Leafs and Lightning but they most certainly aren't "in a bad spot". They just aren't in a position to draft #1 picks.

The Habs will not be better than Tampa, Boston or Toronto next season - and probably not the year after. At that point Price will be 33 and Weber will be 37.

They are a wildcard team going forward. That's not a good spot to be in at all.

Last edited:

A guy pushing 30 coming off a 58 point career season is not gonna get you a first rounder these days.

Except they are not. They got younger.

It would be prudent to watch what happens this summer before making that determination. Bolster the D, fix the PP (Muller has to be stripped of this duty) and get another 25-30 goal man and the Habs will be above average.

In pro sports, striving to be above average is the enemy of greatness.

One of the issues that folks seem to want to ignore is just exactly where is Montreal's place within the league under the leadership of MB.

He's been here now going on 7 years and the Habs just missed the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years and outside if Price they still don't have a game changer.

Some people think they are on the way up, but are they really?

Montreal will likely not be better than Tampa, Boston or Toronto for the forseeable future. So really the only path to the playoffs for them for at least the next 2 seasons is the wildcard. At that point what will Price and Weber be like?

For the next few years at least you're hoping to squeak into the playoffs and then massively upset teams to tey to win a cup.

The Habs are in a bad spot.

Mostly in the wrong division. Tampa and Toronto have young teams set for years if they manage it well but the rest of the conference is fairly open. Boston is not getting younger, Marchand, Bergeron and Krejci are over 30 and Chara will eventually retire. Pittsburgh and Washington are getting old as well. Columbus is about to disintegrate this summer. I think we're in the mix with the rest of the conference.

Mostly in the wrong division. Tampa and Toronto have young teams set for years if they manage it well but the rest of the conference is fairly open. Boston is not getting younger, Marchand, Bergeron and Krejci are over 30 and Chara will eventually retire. Pittsburgh and Washington are getting old as well. Columbus is about to disintegrate this summer. I think we're in the mix with the rest of the conference.

Don't count out teams below the habs

Don't count out teams below the habs

My favourite Pierre Mcguire Hab hating rant at exactly this time last year was when he was trying to make Hab fans feel even shittier thanthey already did by saying that “it aint gonna get easier buffalo, Florida, NJ, Philly are coming on and are coming on fast, these are teams that Montreal will have to worry about”

Lol....none of those teams where worrisome at any point this year. Things change and they change fast.

NJ amd Philly were the talk of the east last year because of the progress they made in a year.

Florida and Buffalo although they have nice talent just cant seem to put together a full season of good hockey.

I expect Columbus and the Isles to be far inferior next year and the Bruins are not a team that is excatly young, same can be said for Pit amd Was but they still have a window.

The big bad Leafs for all we kmow may remain as they are, a team with three building block forwards and that’s about it, iffy depth, iffy defense and iffy goaltending.

Last edited:
My favourite Pierre Mcguire Hab hating rant at exactly this time last year was when he was trying to make Hab fans feel even shittier thanthey already did by saying that “it aint gonna get easier buffalo, Florida, NJ, Philly are coming on and are coming on fast, these are teams that Montreal will have to worry about”

Lol....none of those teams where worrisome at any point this year. Things change and they change fast.

NJ amd Philly were the talk of the east last year because of the progress they made in a year.

Florida and Buffalo although they have nice talent just cant seem to put together a full season of good hockey.

I expect Columbus and the Isles to be far inferior next year and the Bruins are not a team that is excatly young, same can be said for Pit amd Was but they still have a window.

The big bad Leafs for all we kmow may remain as they are, a team with three building block forwards and that’s about it, iffy depth, iffy defense and iffy goaltending.
Actually I feel the Islanders might be the most up and coming team in the conference.

Re: The Retool: Stage 2.

What is the identity of this team?

Copernicus and Julien seem to be creating a “lunch bucket” group up front, somewhat reminiscent of Julien’s Boston team. Getting rid of Pacioretty and Galchenyuk seems to have been beneficial.

Rolls Royce quality in net.

But that D needs a serious upgrade.

So, that’s the question. There is cap space to burn. Where will it go?

What is the identity of this team?
IMO speed w skill & high hockey IQ (to facilitate the high tempo game being demanded) while trying to develop prospects & acquire players who are a spitting image of Gallagher (tenacity & work ethic).

Did not backoff from giving Mete tons of ice time down the stretch in difficult situations, let KK contribute to play down the stretch even though it was evident he had stalled, and balanced TOI for 4-lines. It’ll be a roll 4-line strategy, now they need viable assets to populate all 4-lines.

Drouin the way he performed last half season just doesn’t fit the identity unless there’s a step change in desire or attitude (there’s that word)...

There is cap space to burn. Where will it go?

IMO - MB will try to overpay for Duchene, freeing up the possibility to deal Drouin for a young Dman (Brodin?). When that plan fails, I dunno where he turns to, just hope there’s no Alzner desperation move.

I’ve stated my personal opinion- I’d throw boatloads at Kevin Hayes (up to $2M more per season than competition) and force him to turndown a substantial overpayment

The rest of the roster will be via organic growth of prospects - Jo Jo’s role of master developer becoming vital going forward. I fully expect a couple of Evans, Vejdemo, Fleury to break the lineup at some point next season.

Fans will also need to be patient, development is a roller coaster ride - need to stay the course.

Last edited:
Actually I feel the Islanders might be the most up and coming team in the conference.

They are actually getting up there in age up front.

Barzal and Beauvillier are young

Lee 28
Bailey 29
Nelson 28
Filpula 35
Cizikas 28
Eberle 28 (UFA)
Leddy 28
Boychuk 35
Lehner 28

Many of their guys are right in the thick of their prime.

Back