• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League: 2019-2020 Regular Season

****ing plague I'm telling you. The whole West Coast has a huge homeless/drug addiction/mental illness problem.

And it has spread to the BC interior in the last five or so years: Kelowna, Kamloops, heck even small towns like Vernon, Penticton and Salmon Arm are crawling with these types like it is a zombie apocalypse! Mainly the warm weather attracts them

And it has spread to the BC interior in the last five or so years: Kelowna, Kamloops, heck even small towns like Vernon, Penticton and Salmon Arm are crawling with these types like it is a zombie apocalypse! Mainly the warm weather attracts them

Summerland?

Define elite. No goalie is winning an MVP every year or even a Vezina every year.

He was playing at elite level the year after his MVP, except he was injured after 12 games. Hardly his fault.
He was elite in 16-17, Vezina finalist is elite regardless of your standards.
Year after he sucked no doubt.
Last year he was close to elite, top 10 in the league, but I guess that would put him in the very good category.

Teams don't pony up for elite performance every year, they pony up for stability and piece of mind. Other teams rotate goalies every 2-3 years hoping to find one on a good year.

Simply put you dominate . Up until this summer no goalie was within his pay scale .

Not his fault we were dumb to overpay him , but he is paid to be the elite the best in the game .

Finishing 7th in the Vezina is not elite , it says you had a good year that’s it .

Time to put in another MVP type year , no excuses

Simply put you dominate . Up until this summer no goalie was within his pay scale .

Not his fault we were dumb to overpay him , but he is paid to be the elite the best in the game .

Finishing 7th in the Vezina is not elite , it says you had a good year that’s it .

Time to put in another MVP type year , no excuses

That's what I said. But he finished 3rd in 16-17, that's elite.

I'll put the thresholds like this:

Top 5 : Elite
6-10 : Very Good
11-20: Average
20+ : Mediocre.

Top 5 for goalies isn't elite IMO ....unless your a Vezina nominee multiple times on a consistent basis

That could mean he is tied with Kuemper or Talbot in any given year and gives you no year end ALL STAR team

Elite is Sid and CMD or Ovy performances for years

That's a tier for special players

Last edited:
Top 5 is an elite year for a goalie. An elite goalie is one that is in or around the top 5 most of the years. Goalies are widely inconsistent one year to the next, elite ones are able to perform at a high level with more consistency. But every year you're going to have a couple of goalies that are on fire.

I think that is fair, less goalies in the league so smaller gap.. Sid is elite, but he doesn't always have a league MVP season.. but you know what you get with him..to say Price has to play like a league MVP to be elite is a stretch considering he is the HABS MVP..

Top 5 for goalies isn't elite IMO ....unless your a Vezina nominee multiple times on a consistent basis

That could mean he is tied with Kuemper or Talbot in any given year and gives you no year end ALL STAR team

Elite is Sid and CMD or Ovy performances for years

That's a tier for special players

I think Sid, Ovie and CMD are a notch above elite. Maybe generational? Meaning Price fits the elite bill.

Generational is a great way to describe Ovi-Sid-McDavid.

In terms of talent, Price should also be in the generational conversation. But for goalies, you need to win lots and lots of awards (or Cups) to be considered generational.

Do people know that Ovi has more MVPs than Sid ? But Sid will always be remembered as the greatest of his era

Ovi is Manning, Sid is Brady (of their era, not all time obviously)

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, the players have voted Carey Price the best goaltender in the league for the last 2 years (2017-2018 and 2018-2019).

He is currently recognized as the best by his peers.
Regardless of stats and award nominations, NHL players sure seem to think Price is an Elite goalie.

NHL players were surveyed on more than 20 hockey-related questions with more than 500 players taking part in the poll. Players weighed in on a variety of questions – covering skills, arenas, teams and a few other entertaining topics in between.

https://www.nhlpa.com/player-poll/2018-19

For what it’s worth, the players have voted Carey Price the best goaltender in the league for the last 2 years (2017-2018 and 2018-2019).

He is currently recognized as the best by his peers.
Regardless of stats and award nominations, NHL players sure seem to think Price is an Elite goalie.

NHL players were surveyed on more than 20 hockey-related questions with more than 500 players taking part in the poll. Players weighed in on a variety of questions – covering skills, arenas, teams and a few other entertaining topics in between.

https://www.nhlpa.com/player-poll/2018-19

Interesting to see the Bell Centre surpass Rogers Place in Edmonton for having the best ice in the league. The players would know.

Back