• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League: 2019-2020 Regular Season

Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

Yes, better than the alternative. And I don't know if Columbus is up to the task of taking out the Leafs.

Columbus has more scoring depth than the Bruins.

Bruins are a one line team threat, shutdown the Bergeron line and you are going to win.

I mean after Bergeron, pastarnak and Marchand who is really a threat? Kreijci, Debrusk Coyle?

Columbus throws Panarin, Duchene, Atkinson, Dubois, Anderson, Bjorkstrand and if that’s not enough their bottom two lines have Jenner, Dzingle and Foligno.

They are a far bigger threat than Boston...I’m still amazed Boston managed to finish as high as they did this season.

Columbus has more scoring depth than the Bruins.

Bruins are a one line team threat, shutdown the Bergeron line and you are going to win.

Bruins have been playing Pasta on a line with Krejci. So they're running two legit scoring lines against us, not one.

I mean after Bergeron, pastarnak and Marchand who is really a threat? Kreijci, Debrusk Coyle?

Krejci had 70+ points this season (which would have ranked 2nd on Columbus...even if you counted Duchene's full season total as belonging to Columbus) and Debrusk had 27 goals, which would have tied for 3rd on Columbus

Columbus throws Panarin, Duchene, Atkinson, Dubois, Anderson
Okay....

Bjorkstrand

Really pimping a guy who had 36 points this season?

They are a far bigger threat than Boston...

Well this is just silly. I get that they loaded up with a couple of guys putting up career high numbers on a terrible team force feeding them premium opportunity and all, but to call them a far bigger threat than Boston? Boston runs 3 guys out there that is the offensive threat Panarin is. Sure, the 3rd line might chip in a couple more goals than Coyle-Johanssen and whatever plug next to them but these series are won by the top talent, not the muckers.

I’m still amazed Boston managed to finish as high as they did this season.

Elite defensive team with high end offensive talent at the top of the lineup. I get that it's normal to hate the Bruins around here (trust me, I'm on board that train) but they're a really good team. Columbus was a legit bubble team that added some temporary firepower. They're not to be overlooked, but they're not as good as Boston, even with the upgrades.

If he didn't have the first round label, he'd be just another guy.

There aren't a lot of "just another guy" types putting up elite possession numbers as a top 3 defender in the AHL at 19 yrs old. 57% possession, 1.2 points per 60 while being asked to do the defensive heavy lifting (high defensive zone starts, while Rosen and Sandin both got a ton of offensive zone starts, especially Rosen).

I'm fine with someone who doesn't think he's got top pairing potential (though I personally disagree), but he's not "just another guy" or a long shot to make the league at all. He could probably play in the league now.

I don't know why they insisted on playing him in the AHL at 18.

Because his SHL team was dicking him around with minutes and wouldn't guarantee him a bigger role with the club.

Even Cherry was surprised Leafs first goal was allowed. But no surprise.....anyone really expect a call to Toronto in the third period on the game's first goal to go against the Leafs?

I’ve seen plenty go against the Leafs. It’s a numbers game. If any team gets favorable treatment far more often it’s Boston. Hands down.

I hope the bruins win in overtime in game 7. I know I'm mean...

How can you in good conscience root for the Bruins? That’s like rooting for China to create the new world order.

I’ve seen plenty go against the Leafs. It’s a numbers game. If any team gets favorable treatment far more often it’s Boston. Hands down.

It's strategic. Call a few against the Leafs in less important games/situations, so its no as obvious when Leafs are favoured in big situations,like third period of a crucual playoff game. It seems every sports analyst was surprised by the call.

A questionable call against the Habs late in a close game with Toronto is a stable of our sport.An opportuniy to call a 5 on 3 in the same situation is often not passed up.

That’s some deep seeded Leaf hatred there. I can relate, it’s how I feel about the Bruins.

How can you in good conscience root for the Bruins? That’s like rooting for China to create the new world order.

Cause i remember the days when it was the leafs and the habs and nothing else mattered. I thoroughly enjoyed the incompetence of the leafs over the years and hope it continues for eternity.

Anyway, as I said in another post I am not surprised the Leafs are on the verge of winning, they screwed the pooch for the last month of the regular season planning for this series. They will not beat Columbus though in the next round, Columbus is the team of destiny this year. Then again, it would be totally Leaf like to blow this series against the Bruins, it wouldn't be too much of a surprise.

It's strategic. Call a few against the Leafs in less important games/situations, so its no as obvious when Leafs are favoured in big situations,like third period of a crucual playoff game. It seems every sports analyst was surprised by the call.

A questionable call against the Habs late in a close game with Toronto is a stable of our sport.An opportuniy to call a 5 on 3 in the same situation is often not passed up.
You clearly haven't watched this series.

Anyway, as I said in another post I am not surprised the Leafs are on the verge of winning, they screwed the pooch for the last month of the regular season planning for this series. They will not beat Columbus though in the next round, Columbus is the team of destiny this year. Then again, it would be totally Leaf like to blow this series against the Bruins, it wouldn't be too much of a surprise.

I think Columbus’s time off will cool them off.

Bruins have been playing Pasta on a line with Krejci. So they're running two legit scoring lines against us, not one.

Krejci had 70+ points this season (which would have ranked 2nd on Columbus...even if you counted Duchene's full season total as belonging to Columbus) and Debrusk had 27 goals, which would have tied for 3rd on Columbus

Columbus throws Panarin, Duchene, Atkinson, Dubois, Anderson
Okay....

Well this is just silly. I get that they loaded up with a couple of guys putting up career high numbers on a terrible team force feeding them premium opportunity and all, but to call them a far bigger threat than Boston? Boston runs 3 guys out there that is the offensive threat Panarin is. Sure, the 3rd line might chip in a couple more goals than Coyle-Johanssen and whatever plug next to them but these series are won by the top talent, not the muckers.

Elite defensive team with high end offensive talent at the top of the lineup. I get that it's normal to hate the Bruins around here (trust me, I'm on board that train) but they're a really good team. Columbus was a legit bubble team that added some temporary firepower. They're not to be overlooked, but they're not as good as Boston, even with the upgrades.

Columbus today and right now as we speak is a better team than the Bruins.

What they did to TB is simply put amazing, that series wasn’t even close

It would be more accurate to simply say Columbus has been playing better than the Bruins the last two weeks of the season and playoffs. They are the hot team going in, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re better on the whole.

Well this is just silly. I get that they loaded up with a couple of guys putting up career high numbers on a terrible team force feeding them premium opportunity and all, but to call them a far bigger threat than Boston? Boston runs 3 guys out there that is the offensive threat Panarin is. Sure, the 3rd line might chip in a couple more goals than Coyle-Johanssen and whatever plug next to them but these series are won by the top talent, not the muckers

Fyi Bkorkstrand had 23 goals this season,

Last edited:

It would be more accurate to simply say Columbus has been playing better than the Bruins the last two weeks of the season and playoffs. They are the hot team going in, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re better on the whole.

Today as we speak they are a better team than the Bruins.

They have the better goalie, I don’t know if it gets any better than Jones/Werenski pairing out there right now and they have a talented group of forwards.

Call it what you want, hot or playing better you are pretty much saying the same thing as I am

Last edited:

We all must accept the fact the Leafs will win a Cup in our lifetimes.

tenor.gif

That’s some deep seeded Leaf hatred there. I can relate, it’s how I feel about the Bruins.

If I'm really honest with myself... I hate the Bruins team a lot more. The rivalry, the actual players... everything. Thing is, I only know like 3 Bruin fans and almost never interact with any of them. I actually have nothing against the current Leafs team, and the rivalry is currently dormant. Thing is, I know a ton of Leaf fans... and many are quite obnoxious.

I really have a hard time picking who I want to lose more. Either way is good and bad. I'll definitely be cheering against one of them in the next round.

Back