• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League: 2019-2020 Regular Season

Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2019

Subban iirc has some $12M in bonus payouts the last 2-years of his deal, 19-20 season has no bonus payouts - Preds aren’t the type of team to eat bonus to deal players...have to think Subban gets dealt this summer

Also Poile is 69 gotta think succession planning is already in place - he’s not doing a rebuild.

Clutch is more commonly used in Basketball than in hockey, usually referring to the last minutes of the 4rth quarters when then game is still up for grab by both teams.
Clutch time.
Players performing in Clutch Time in Basketball are Clutch.

82games.com sorts NBA Clutch stats and defines Clutch as follow :
“4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points”

—///

In sports in general, analyst refer to clutch plays by players when teams/players are under pressure at the end of games, when victory is on the line.

—-///

In hockey, I personally believe that clutch goals/saves/plays happens in overtime, or when the game is tie or 1-2 goal difference in the 3rd period.

I would think that game 7 and elimination are so important and the pressure is so enormous that clutch applies to most of the game unless it’s a blowout.

I mean to me if Carolina was down 2 goals in the first period in a game 7, and Justin Williams scores 2 goals at the end of the period to make it 2-2, I would call him and his 2 goals clutch as fck.
A lot more clutch than Pacioretty scoring in the last 15 seconds of the 3rd period to make it 5-0 for VGK.

Speaking of NBA, they use the word clutch to loosely: most analyst say Kobe was clutch, but ESPN showed 1-2 years ago that Kobe missed more of his last minute shots than the league average....that's not really clutch, but Kobe is said to be ''the clutch player'' of his era.

Also Poile is 69 gotta think succession planning is already in place - he’s not doing a rebuild.

Lou is how old in New York?

Poile likely keeps at it until his heart stops. Unless he continues to burn assets to try to grab a cup leading to a hard rebuild, in which case he gets the boot.

But if he sets the preds up for a 2-3 year rebuild, I can see him sticking around for that.

Window is pretty shut, unless Poile can start flipping assets.

If he can get a young top 6 forward for one of Ekholm PK or Ellis, window is extended. Dante Fabbro can step into a top 4 role if one of those 3 leave

If they can fix the powerplay, window opens a little more.

But as it stands the current team has gotten as far as it's going to go. It's been a fun ride though, no issues with that. Two division titles, a cup final, 5 straight years in the post season is about as much as one can aim for in the cap era.

Unlike Montreal though, I expect front office changes from the Preds. Lots of coaches are going to get canned over the PP issues, if not Laviolette. Poile is likely safe, but his leash just got much shorter. Lets see what the off season brings, but I don't see Nashville keeping their top 4 defensemen beyond this year, and I can see them stocking up on picks and tanking if they can't get the young assets that they need.

Even with flipping assets , they cant fix their issues to keep the window going .

Turris is finished and RJ has plateaued into a 60 point C , nice but not enough for the stud they gave up in Jones.

Agreed the team has gone as far as they can go and age is creeping up on some players .

The next steps are critical . Do they unload some vets for kids and picks to soften the decline ?

Or do they remain stubborn like the Kings and not unload and let the ship sink ?

Subban iirc has some $12M in bonus payouts the last 2-years of his deal, 19-20 season has no bonus payouts - Preds aren’t the type of team to eat bonus to deal players...have to think Subban gets dealt this summer

Doubt they get much of a haul without a bad contract coming back

Give them Drouin and Alzner

:couch

Doubt they get much of a haul without a bad contract coming back

Give them Drouin and Alzner

:couch

If 3 years ago, the best deal you could get was Weber, imagine now.....

i could see Tampa going for Subban, instead of overpaying for Karlsson

If 3 years ago, the best deal you could get was Weber, imagine now.....

i could see Tampa going for Subban, instead of overpaying for Karlsson

Its doable if the Preds take back a few 5 mil forwards

Well that's it I guess, going to be a fascinating off season in Leaf land. Don't know what happened in the last 2 games, only watched bits and pieces. But it seems like the Bruins laid down the defensive hammer.

That game was not Mike Babcock's shinning moment. Yikes.

All three of those goals Toronto gave up should not have happened. Anderson looked like a sieve and Jake Gardiner, well, who knows what he was thinking.

Down by two and Babcock is playing Mathews less than 4 minutes.

That game was not Mike Babcock's shinning moment. Yikes.

All three of those goals Toronto gave up should not have happened. Anderson looked like a sieve and Jake Gardiner, well, who knows what he was thinking.

I pray MB stays away from Gardiner this summer

Meanwhile Uncle Lou and his defense first team and coach are alive and well. Wonder boy GM doesn't look so good. Although I admit its tough luck the Leafs have drawn the Bruins 3 times in a row.

There is something missing on that Leaf team to take it to another level.

Back