• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Capitals, Game Two, 3:00 Eastern, NBC

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Carolina trails the series 0-1

OK. You want a split in the first road set in any series, so this one has serious weight. We'll surely get some info from the press ahead of puck drop, but I don't expect many changes for Carolina. I'd go with Mrazek in net again. He didn't do anything wrong in that loss and the Canes post game efforts rightly focused on the short circuiting special teams that were a much more immediate concern. In fact, Mrazek came up huge in the 3rd to keep them in it prior to Svech going off to actually put them in it. Cal de Haan actually skated yesterday, but I doubt you trow him directly back into this particular cauldron. Maybe Game 3 at home. Up front I wouldn't be surprised to see Mainalenen in for Foegele. Not because Foegele did anything wrong, but rather because Mainalenen offers a bit of a nastier game. They're both an annoyance to the other team, but the big Finn has a real knack for being effective when the game gets a bit nastier. I'd also look for Svech to get parked next to Staal on the second unit again to start the game, but either way could I see Brindy once again shifting him around to match him up against the weaker D lines and pairings. Carolina's forwards are pretty flexible that way, and that could be an advantage to exploit. I wouldn't be surprised if they start the game with Williams and Svech flanking Staal, with Turbo shifting up to the first line and Ferland down to the third. Then you can turn loose Ferland and Martinook on a seek and destroy line while Willams and Staal watch the kid's back.

Caps ... I don't think you change what works if your Reirden. They'll keep the 2nd line matched against Aho, for sure. From there I assume they'll continue to try and keep Carolina focused on surviving heavy shifts and off of their forecheck. I expect an even higher level of headhunting from Orpik, Niskanen and Wilson too. It's not like that crew got any penalties for Game 1 shenanigans, so ... even more of the same.

Keys ...

Carolina needs to kill off a penalty and build back some confidence on the kill.

Rattle Holtby ... get in that big lump's personal space early and often. Make him stop shots with traffic in front, and make him play the puck. He got pretty annoyed in the 3rd on Thursday, so keep that up.

It's all about the forecheck, boys ... Carolina's best tool for cracking this egg is possession. Washington starves for the puck when they don't have it, so keep the cycles going and win some offensive draws. Keep the pressure on them and frustrate them into falling into that cherry picking game that they seem to love. When they're constantly trying to leak a forward out of the zone like they do when they get frustrated, guess what? That's a guy not defending his point. Use it.

A strong forecheck is the key - and has been the key all season during the Canes successful run to the playoffs. Also, I agree that parking a body in front of Holtby is not an easy job, but is needed if we are to keep the Caps on the defensive. For some strange reason, I'm not all that anxious about this game. The Caps could easily come away with another win, but I don't worry that our boys are either too uptight or nervous. Just play a hard game and let's try to frustrate them whenever we can.

The pp was the differance last game, 5v5 Canes were the better team. If they build on that and stay out of the penalty box then we have a good chance of stealing this one. Also, Aho needs to step up and show he is the best player on the team.

Brindy also confirmed that de Haan would not play today and that "one guy" was a game time decision. Didn't notice anyone any more banged up than anyone else at the end of game one, so ... meh

Brindy also confirmed that de Haan would not play today and that "one guy" was a game time decision. Didn't notice anyone any more banged up than anyone else at the end of game one, so ... meh

I’d love to see McKegg out and the bigger bodied Finn in the game. Aho needs to get going quick for the Canes to have a chance. Ferland has not scored since February, that needs to change too. A tied series headed home sure would feel nice.

Maenalanen is in, Kegger out. Lines look close to the reg season ending setup with a few tweaks. I bet we’ll see some juggling as we go though. Early scoring chances for both teams ... I’m gonna actually watch now

Doesn't take long for the Caps to get going. 1-0 Caps.

Tripp ripping on Faulk for that one.

TVR's retaliation gets called instead of the initial penalty, which Mrazek was going off for the extra attacker...

Wallmark was always a play off preformer so good on him for continuing like that.

I don't get why we let the Caps dominate us early on. We looked so slow and soft and started playing first after being 2-0 down. That's not a good recipe for winning hockey games.

Last edited:
All of Ferland's hits have been clean... until that one.

They already forgot about Ovi’s Head hit I guess??? If Ferland gets suspended you have to do the same for Ovi, they both are hits that made head contact...but it’s all about the name on the back of the jersey when it comes to suspensions it seems...Ferland gets tossed and a major penalty and Ovi gets a minor penalty...typical NHL.

Last edited:
Mrazek with a save right off the mask. That looks painful.

An Oshie penalty will end the Caps power play and give one to the Canes.

Now a 5-on-3. Tie it up, guys.

They don't.

Learn to pass, guys. This is the playoffs.

Last edited:
Back