• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

These UFA deals are going to be nutso. I love Panarin but yikes. Tavares contract will look like a bargain soon nevermind Willy’s deal. With all the doom and gloom, Dubas has done great

We’ll just say that about Panarin’s contract when the next one signs for $12.5m.

Friedman saying the Leafs will be in on Hutton once FA starts

Not sure why

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I know it's just kicking the can down the road but... 2 x 8 might work out pretty well.
If Mitch puts up another couple of 90+ point seasons and some other wingers get big paydays between now and then, he could end up getting paid more than Auston Matthews, at least for a few years.

And the Leafs would hopefully be in a better cap situation to handle that kind of increase by then. Though two summers from now is also when we'd first be able to start negotiating with Morgan Rielly on a contract extension, as he'll have one year left on his current contract at that point.

Was actually wondering if they'd target Hutton. He has really good PK numbers. Not that I know how you effectively measure PK ability. But he was near the top of the league in CA/60 and xGA/60 4 on5. Also his zone exit/entry defense numbers are pretty good. Terrible play driver though.

Dubas from TSN.ca:

“I know it’s a point of consternation within our fan base and publicly,” Dubas said about the ongoing negotiations. “But Mitch [and agent Darren Ferris have] been excellent throughout. What we think about Mitch is not up for debate. He’s an excellent person, first and foremost, and an excellent young player. I’m optimistic and feel good about where things will go in the future.”

Was actually wondering if they'd target Hutton. He has really good PK numbers. Not that I know how you effectively measure PK ability. But he was near the top of the league in CA/60 and xGA/60 4 on5. Also his zone exit/entry defense numbers are pretty good. Terrible play driver though.
Unless you are playing him on the 3RD is there any point?

We have the left side locked down with Rielly Muzzin and Rosen (assuming Demott shifts to the right)

Rumor is that buffalo is looking to move Ristoleinen. Any interest? Buy low or is he shit? Still young and locked up for 3 more years at 5.4.

Unless you are playing him on the 3RD is there any point?

We have the left side locked down with Rielly Muzzin and Rosen (assuming Demott shifts to the right)

Yeah 3rd pair pker. Hainsey played their whole PK.

they’ll probably still add depth. Especially with Dermott out. And they can’t spend anything on it.

So Kyle mentioned he's been speaking to some league min or near league min players. Predictions on some targets:

Corey Perry. Fancy stats aside, I can see them looking at Perry. Kyle mentioned he's looking at potential reclamation projects. Well here's one.

Brandon Pirri: nerds have always loved him. Will come cheap. Babs will hate him. But the dude puts up points.

Jason Spezza. Similar to Corey Perry.. I personally think he's a bit better than Perry. He has a bit left in him, he just kind of fell out of favor in Dallas for whatever reason. Still real useful on the pp. If he can make it work as a third line center for a year maybe that opens up kadri as a trade chip. In that case they run the hell out of the top two lines and dial back the third and fourth.

Brendan leipsic. Has a history with him. He can provide solid minutes on the fourth line LW and move up and down the lineup in case of injury. I wouldn't mind this.

Those are the main guys I can think of based on what dubas said and based on what they have room for.

Just an aside....the one thing I am really not looking forward to next week is that I believe all of these young rfa's are going to all wait on Mitch to set the market.

Rantanen, point etc aren't going to sign anything until Mitch.....and that sucks because this is going to hand cuff us from doing anything else until we are sure of the contract.

I could see Point getting done for like 8.5 or something and then everybody saying...we'll that is actually 11 with Canadian taxes.

Why can't the league have one set tax rate from the league...if everyone is paid in American funds...why not have the new York state tax rate as this is where the league headquarters are and technically you could make it act as a central bank of sorts. This would make it a level playing field. Or.....every other teams tax rate is incorporated in the cap with the difference of the lowest tax team....so if your state or country has a 7% difference in taxes from Florida, you can have a higher cap so the after taxes salary is the same.

Just some morning rants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Kyle mentioned he's been speaking to some league min or near league min players. Predictions on some targets:

Corey Perry. Fancy stats aside, I can see them looking at Perry. Kyle mentioned he's looking at potential reclamation projects. Well here's one.

Brandon Pirri: nerds have always loved him. Will come cheap. Babs will hate him. But the dude puts up points.

Jason Spezza. Similar to Corey Perry.. I personally think he's a bit better than Perry. He has a bit left in him, he just kind of fell out of favor in Dallas for whatever reason. Still real useful on the pp. If he can make it work as a third line center for a year maybe that opens up kadri as a trade chip. In that case they run the hell out of the top two lines and dial back the third and fourth.

Brendan leipsic. Has a history with him. He can provide solid minutes on the fourth line LW and move up and down the lineup in case of injury. I wouldn't mind this.

Those are the main guys I can think of based on what dubas said and based on what they have room for.

Yeah Dubas also specifically mentioned older guys chasing a cup.

Its tough to predict who will accept a 1 year $900k contract, but I trust Dubas and co to find a couple solid players.

Just an aside....the one thing I am really not looking forward to next week is that I believe all of these young rfa's are going to all wait on Mitch to set the market.

Rantanen, point etc aren't going to sign anything until Mitch.....and that sucks because this is going to hand cuff us from doing anything else until we are sure of the contract.

I don't think they'll wait around forever, though.

what if Mitch does what Nylander did?

Back