• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

Bobo has looked very annoyed whenever Dreger brings it up next to him. Basically he's saying just because people tell you offersheets will happen, don't fall for it. Dreger seems to believe everything said to him.
It does put him in an awkward position. It forces him to either attach his name to their offer-sheet horseshit, or he has to find a gentle way of saying that the co-workers who'll be headlining his network's hockey coverage when he retires in a couple of years are full of shit on this subject.

It does put him in an awkward position. It forces him to either attach his name to their offer-sheet horseshit, or he has to find a gentle way of saying that the co-workers who'll be headlining his network's hockey coverage when he retires in a couple of years are full of shit on this subject.

Yeah. Even when he does it subtlely (Like this morning), he's stuck coming across as giving a shot to them. He clearly does not even want to waste time discussing o/s.

Bobo is the only one willing to say he doesn't know things that he doesn't know. Its why he is the best.

Yup. Everyone else is afraid to do that. Yet, that builds his credibility. Dreger was making it sound yesterday like Marner and his agentswill be dressed to the nines, on a private jet at 6 am on the 26th and laughiing maniacally at the $ they will make from signing an offershet and will have half a dozen to choose from.

Shocked Dreger still has credibility. He should go back to Sportsnet, he fits in great with Kypreos, Burke etc

Zaitsev whining in the Russian press about being run down because he sucks.

He even pulled a Zeke, claiming you're run down in toronto simply because you're a defenceman.

"Everybody said that the defence in Toronto was (word). Everybody wanted Muzzin, but he began to smear the next day. You just need to understand that this is Toronto. You will be defrauded anyway, because you are a defender.

I can only assume by smear he's referring to his own head coach, who is the only one I have ever heard say anything negative about Jake Muzzin.

He is certainly as tone-deaf as Babs is, that's for sure.

I mean, this comes off as sour grapes, but he's also not wrong at all. The Toronto media and fans wouldn't know an all-star d-man if it hit them in the dicks.

Zaitsev whining in the Russian press about being run down because he sucks.

He even pulled a Zeke, claiming you're run down in toronto simply because you're a defenceman.

I can only assume by smear he's referring to his own head coach, who is the only one I have ever heard say anything negative about Jake Muzzin.

He is certainly as tone-deaf as Babs is, that's for sure.
Nahh. I've encountered a lot of Leaf fans who think Muzzin is shit.

Which really confuses me, since he's Canadian, big and truculent, which checks a lot of boxes for the casual fan. But there it is.

Leaf fans in general have always been dummies when it comes to evaluating defensemen.

As for Zaitsev, he's always struck me as the overly sensitive type, and I think he does pay an inordinate amount of attention to his press clippings. So I'm sure he hasn't missed the fact that a lot of the talk around the Leafs this off-season is about how badly Toronto needs to dump his contract.

Nahh. I've encountered a lot of Leaf fans who think Muzzin is shit.

Which really confuses me, since he's Canadian, big and truculent, which checks a lot of boxes for the casual fan. But there it is.

Leaf fans in general have always been dummies when it comes to evaluating defensemen.

okay. I haven't, but that is purely anecdotal I guess.

As for Zaitsev, he's always struck me as the overly sensitive type, and I think he does pay an inordinate amount of attention to his press clippings. So I'm sure he hasn't missed the fact that a lot of the talk around the Leafs this off-season is about how badly Toronto needs to dump his contract.

He has his head up his ass if he thinks it's simply a case of being perceived unfairly. I didn't mind him the first year but he has dropped off a cliff since.

You know what really worries me is the scouting angle here. They spent a whole year scouting Ozighanov too, and thought he was the tits.

whoever scouts in Russia needs to be fired, if they haven't been already.

I'm sure it's total coincidence that the Leafs have continually lacked blue line depth and talent for decades.

has to be.

definitely more likely that every dman that has come through the organization in the last 30 years, no matter who brought them in, was dogshit.

Yeah Zaitsev is right. In this case Toronto also happens to be right, but the list of underappreciated Dmen in Toronto is long.

Pertaining to Marner, they are not close at all on a new deal. Hoping its just an early ploy by Ferris with the hardball negotiation, but I can definitely see a major trade happening if the tone remains the same. Apparently the numbers being pushed are at or higher than Matthews cap hit

Pertaining to Marner, they are not close at all on a new deal. Hoping its just an early ploy by Ferris with the hardball negotiation, but I can definitely see a major trade happening if the tone remains the same. Apparently the numbers being pushed are at or higher than Matthews cap hit

If that's the case, and it stays that way as we get towards the draft, then definitely trade his ass.

I'm waiting for the Toronto fans to turn on Mitch like they turned on Willy....

giphy.gif

Which probably won't happen. The media and the muppets on the call in shows will twist themselves into a pretzel to explain why Mitch is worth it, it's Dubas' fault for giving Matthews that contract (because more points = more money amirite?). Basically how it's everyone's fault other than Marner's for having insane contract demands.

A fair deal based on comparables is about 9.5-9.7 million. Yeah, I fully support Dubas playing chicken with Mitch if his ask is north of Matthews money.

If that's the case, and it stays that way as we get towards the draft, then definitely trade his ass.

I personally would prefer that he signs with another team for the 4 first rounders. And then sign a panarin for the money allocated for marner.

I believe it is all a ploy to pressure dubas.
If dubas caves and the numbers being promoted is the final result, dubas will not be long for this job. But I dont believe that shannahan would let that happen.
Marner will get his 9 or 9.5 a season. If he does get offer sheeted for 11 or 12 a season, let's hope it is LA or NYI. So their 1st round picks for 2 seasons at least, will be lottery picks lol.

I'm waiting for the Toronto fans to turn on Mitch like they turned on Willy....

giphy.gif

Which probably won't happen. The media and the muppets on the call in shows will twist themselves into a pretzel to explain why Mitch is worth it, it's Dubas' fault for giving Matthews that contract (because more points = more money amirite?). Basically how it's everyone's fault other than Marner's for having insane contract demands.

A fair deal based on comparables is about 9.5-9.7 million. Yeah, I fully support Dubas playing chicken with Mitch if his ask is north of Matthews money.

Marner has led the team in scoring the past two seasons ..... nylander .... nah

Turning on Mitch over the stupid contract rumours is just as dumb as turning on Nylander for them.

Dubas is going to sign Marner to a reasonable deal just like he did with Matthews and Nylander.

Back