• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

By the way, I still think Zaitsev is pretty decent. Usage is the problem. Babs destroys him, and I’m sure that’s why he wants to leave. I mean, why else? No one has yet offered up his reason for wanting to leave a top team where he gets top minutes.

He’ll go somewhere else where the coach will use him properly and he’ll do well. And like idiots, it’s looking like we’ll give up assets to cause that to happen.

I'm sympathetic to the argument that Babs system and deployment set Zaitsev up for consistent failure, given his skill-set.

But, on the other hand, I've also watched Zaitsev try to make a simple pass, and it's not pretty.

Physically, Zaits has the tools to be an effective top-4 d-man. But I'm not sure he has what it takes between the ears. Time will tell. But I don't think it's in anyone's interests to keep him around next season.

Whats his ideal usage though? Press box?
I guess if you're talking about having him in a lineup, his "ideal usage" would be as a sheltered bottom-pairing defenseman that doesn't play a lot of minutes.

Because if he can't play a shut-down role, and he can't make a pass, handle the puck or skate with the puck to save his life, I'm not sure what else there is for him.

Bob McKenzie on TSN690: “I don’t expect offer sheets to happen, that’s not to say they couldn’t happen...expecting them to happen would probably be a FOOLISH sentiment.”

Dreger says on TSN1050 that there are 3 teams meeting with Marner for sure and maybe a 4th. Dreger says that an agent and a NHL exec told him could be an offersheet "in the teens". 13, 14Mx5 years.

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
Is this the year of the offer sheet? The RFA speaking window opens Wednesday. In my Tuesday notebook we look at a special class of RFA stars, why none of them have signed yet, and perhaps the mostly likely target for an offer sheet. Plus some UFA notes:
theathletic.com/1046683/2019/0…
2:44pm · 25 Jun 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

Shawn @badloons
13m
Replying to @PierreVLeBrun
Stop it! Bob McKenzie on TSN690: “I don’t expect offer sheets to happen, that’s not to say they couldn’t happen...expecting them to happen would probably be a FOOLISH sentiment.”

Joey Jackson @ShoelessJJay
21m
Replying to @PierreVLeBrun
I swear to god every year has been "the year of the offer sheet"

The crazy thing is...when none of these players receive an offer sheet this summer, that's not going to put a stop to this going forward.

Hacks like Lebrun & Dreger will still discuss the possibility of offer sheets non-stop in the future when they need to come up with lazy talking points.

They're basically TMZ for hockey. Sensationalists. Bobo is boring but when he has nothing to report or when he doesn't know something he'll say that.

ugh Lebrun is sullying the athletic by association.

it's pretty hilarious that in a sense he was vindicated about Toronto and Carolina trading together. too bad it was nothing remotely close to any of the ridiculuos scenarios he has been pumping for months now.

I don't think LeBrun is that bad...but yeah, these talking heads are paid to say something other than "I don't know what's going to happen"

So what team would be appealing to Marner AND have cap space AND have 4 1st rounders? Only legit threat I see here are the Avs

Like I said earlier, if offer sheets were viable (and they should be) Marner wouldn't be where we'd see it. (cost is extremely prohibitive). We would see it with players like Andreas Johnsson and Kasperi Kapanen where 6 X 4.2 puts pressure on the Leafs and only costs a 2nd rounder.

Back