• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

If I were going to offer sheet, I would wait until into the season when the cap hit is much higher in season 1 of the agreement. The picks owed would be less vs the financial/cap impact for the upcoming season. Not sure the actual number, but if someone offered 10.5 per, prob what like 13 million cap hit if done in November/December?

ELC Performance:

Draisaitl: 191gms, 50gls, 137pts, -12, 17:22
Nylander: 185gms, 48gls, 135pts, +18, 16:21

ELC Performance:

Sure, let's ignore the fact that Draisaitl dropped 77 and 70 points prior to his 105 point campaign and Willy has never bit higher than 60. Your convenient use of the 3 year sample which includes Draisaitl's truncated rookie season is also pretty funny.

ELC Performance:

Sure, let's ignore the fact that Draisaitl dropped 77 and 70 points prior to his 105 point campaign and Willy has never bit higher than 60. Your convenient use of the 3 year sample which includes Draisaitl's truncated rookie season is also pretty funny.

Convenient use?

We are talking about the contract he signed after his ELC, No?

Why are you counting seasons from after he signed that contract?

Screenshot-2019-07-20-A3-Z-Player-Comps-Updated-7-16-19.png

You do realize that Leon asked for far more than he got right? This is an ask. It's a negotiation. Asking for drai money is a perfectly reasonable starting point. Thing is, he also asked for 8 years, like drai, which just makes it an even more fair ask. Honestly, if the leafs offered 8x8 he probably would have taken it. And frankly, they may have been better off if they did. Considering how they starting their careers, 500k less per year (accounting for cap inflation it's probably closer to 750-800k less) is very fair.

But meh. They got him at a nice enough deal.

You are the one harping on semantics. What he was asking for was unprecedented relative to his production. Contribute something more than jumping on a word or two of somebody's post. It will look good on you.

Semantics? I'm 'harping' on a matter of fact.

You are prone to ridiculous hyperbole with Nylander.

And what do you mean truncated rookie season?

Yr 1

Drai: 37gms, 2gls, 9pts, 12:42
Willy: 22gms, 6gls, 23pts, 16:20

Yr2

Drai: 72gms, 19gls, 51pts, 18:03
Willy: 81gms, 22gls, 61pts, 16:01

Yr3

Drai: 82gms, 29gls, 77pts, 18:53
Willy: 82gms, 20gls, 61pts, 16:41

One thing I'll say about this Vs the marner situation: so let's say willy didn't stack up to Leon. It's true... He didn't. Leon is a big center that scores more goals (although not that much more at the time their contracts were up). Asking for the Leon contract is a close enough comparison for a starting point at the very least. Obviously they couldn't agree on an 8 year deal in the end but would 8x8 have gotten a deal done? I'd like to think so but it's hard to know for sure. That would have been fair enough I think. After accounting for cap inflation it is probably closer to 750-800k or 1% less per year.

Now let's pivot to marner. He's asking for a Matthews contract. Obviously he doesn't stack up to a big center that scores waaaaay more than him, but you know what? If that's your starting point, I get it.

Now the difference between Leon and Willy at the time of their contracts was far less than the difference between Matthews and Mitch, but the point stands. I'm fine with him asking for the Matthews contract but he can't expect to get anything close to it. We'll see what they settle on in the end. It should probably be closer to 1.5-2% less than Matthews on a 5 year deal but I have my doubts that this will happen.

One thing I'll say about this Vs the marner situation: so let's say willy didn't stack up to Leon. It's true... He didn't. Leon is a big center that scores more goals (although not that much more at the time their contracts were up). Asking for the Leon contract is a close enough comparison for a starting point at the very least. Obviously they couldn't agree on an 8 year deal in the end but would 8x8 have gotten a deal done? I'd like to think so but it's hard to know for sure. That would have been fair enough I think. After accounting for cap inflation it is probably closer to 750-800k or 1% less per year.

Now let's pivot to marner. He's asking for a Matthews contract. Obviously he doesn't stack up to a big center that scores waaaaay more than him, but you know what? If that's your starting point, I get it.

Now the difference between Leon and Willy at the time of their contracts was far less than the difference between Matthews and Mitch, but the point stands. I'm fine with him asking for the Matthews contract but he can't expect to get anything close to it. We'll see what they settle on in the end. It should probably be closer to 1.5-2% less than Matthews on a 5 year deal but I have my doubts that this will happen.

The Daisaitl comp was very good. Both transition monsters who produced at a similar rate. The only reason Willy isn't a centre is because Mike Babcock and John Tavares.

The Daisaitl comp was very good. Both transition monsters who produced at a similar rate. The only reason Willy isn't a centre is because Mike Babcock and John Tavares.

But the fact is, he wasn't a center. Can't pay him center money if he isn't a center.

Nothing wrong with that being your starting point though. The leafs weren't bending on their 6.1 offer. Why should willy bend on his? 8x8 would have gotten a deal done. Maybe even mid-high 7's. That would have been market value and probably a steal in the long run.

I think what 2005 forgets is that he wasn't asking for Leon money on a 6 year contract. It was over 8 years. That buys two more UFA years. If that ask dropped to 7.5-8 mil, it's a very reasonable contract. I don't have a doubt in my mind that he would have done that. Leafs were in a but of a cap crunch though so I understand why they probably preferred to get him for quite a bit less while sacrificing two years.

hopefully one day Nylander figures out that you can score a goal in any part of the net. It is absurd that a guy with a shot like that has such a low goal total. I've never seen anything like it.

Don't think it's reasonable to say 'you're not a centre' when he is a centre and just doesn't often play the position because same management took away that opportunity.

Don't think it's reasonable to say 'you're not a centre' when he is a centre and just doesn't often play the position because same management took away that opportunity.

I would have been pretty upset if the leafs paid him center money tbh. Whether it's his fault out not, if you haven't proven longterm to be an NHL center you can't possibly pay him center money. In the end they paid him market value for a winger of his caliber (maybe 200-300k more if we're being generous).

Back