• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

I don’t believe that rumor either, but the only way it could be true is if Dubas wanted to frontload it and Shanny said no out of principle or to avoid setting a new precedent.

Steve Dangle took my theory that men hate William Nylander because he's too good-looking. I said that months ago. If he was fugly there'd be less hate.

Last edited:
No way that's true. Any decision/offer/discussion points regarding compensation, flex hours etc. that I have with my reports are strictly within the limits I have already agreed to with my Sr. Talks of front loading, total $'s, NTC's, etc. are so fundamental that Dubas would know exactly his boundaries before talking to Marner.

Marner on the contract:

"I'm sure something is going to get done before the season starts. I think both sides are certain that will happen. I think there is no rush. There is still a lot of time between there. "

They may hate on him but I doubt anyone really thinks he won't resign with the Leafs. If another team was going to do something they would have already. Now it's a waiting game and the Leafs hold the cards. If he doesn't sign they may decide to move him (slim at best on this) but ultimately, I think everyone believes it'll get done.

Who's hating? All anyone discussed is the amount that he's worth - dollar values they would like to get him at, dollar values they can live with, and dollar values they would rather trade him / not match.

His Dad is clearly a crazy hockey parent. That's a fact.

His agent has been a dick in the media. That's a fact.

Other than that all the discussions have centered around his worth vs the ask being reported. Quit acting like everyone suddenly hates Mitch and you're the only reasonable one.

Last edited:
The people who “hate” Mitch are saying they’ve changed their opinion on him because he hasn’t signed yet, are good with trading him, etc.

People have said they have lost some respect due to him letting his agent and dad be a mouthpieces in the media, and the fact that it appears his camp is using guys like Dreger and Kypreos to push the offer sheet narrative and dollar value. I haven't seen anyone say they've change their opinion of him because he hasn't signed - except maybe lf2005, who for some reason hates all young hockey players for not just being grateful and taking whatever they're offered.

And everyone who has said they're good with trading him attaches a dollar value to that statement. There's a cap. Can't just pay him anything.

But whatever it's clear by your run of posts on the subject you're trying to set yourself up for a big "I told you so" when he signs. Have fun.

I don't know that anyone hates Mitch. He's legit one of the best players in the world.

But the negative attention, and media driven hysteria, around a typical contract negotiations has been way overboard in this market. It was never really a story.

I don't know that anyone hates Mitch. He's legit one of the best players in the world.

But the negative attention around a typical contract negotiations has been way overboard in this market. It was never really a story.

Probably fair. The whole Nylander debacle has driven most of this I think.

Still, Bobby Mac is one of the few media guys I put any faith in. And that recent quote of his definitely makes me think that where there's smoke, there's fire. We shall see.

I'm not worried about Mitchy signing. I'm worried about the number he signs for, how it compares to what the market indicates he's worth, and how it affects our ability to compete and build around him.

But yeah, by far the likeliest outcome here is him reupping with us. Just a question of when he signs, and what the term/AAV will be.

People have said they have lost some respect due to him letting his agent and dad be a mouthpieces in the media, and the fact that it appears his camp is using guys like Dreger and Kypreos to push the offer sheet narrative and dollar value. I haven't seen anyone say they've change their opinion of him because he hasn't signed - except maybe lf2005, who for some reason hates all young hockey players for not just being grateful and taking whatever they're offered.

And everyone who has said they're good with trading him attaches a dollar value to that statement. There's a cap. Can't just pay him anything.

But whatever it's clear by your run of posts on the subject you're trying to set yourself up for a big "I told you so" when he signs. Have fun.

Nah, just hate when young players who haven't really achieved anything meaningful in their career ask for record-setting salaries outside of league-wide comparables. One such player missed a few months of the season and was a big reason the team underachieved last year. Mitch hasn't gotten to that level yet, but asking for a salary that is $2-3 million more than he is worth is definitely worthy of the criticism he is receiving. And yet other teams don't tend to have such issues when locking up their young guys. The most recent crop of RFA's haven't signed yet (outside of Aho), but there really hasn't been much animosity in negotiations and by all accounts the negotiations are just waiting on Marner to establish a comparable.

If he hasn't signed by training camp I might start to care. Until then this is all just a tactic by the agent to maximize the earnings for his client. I still believe this gets done by then.

Back