• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother****ing Off Season Thread

Dubas told Siegel that they want to accomodate Zaitsev, but they "need a similar player back" because of lack of depth on defence and not wanting to rush rookies.

8VOf0sA.png

As much as I think writing that kind of shit to athletes/celebrities on social media is idiotic, at least the mouth breathers are being consistent and starting to give golden boy Mitch the same treatment they gave Nylander.

Kinda love the comments.

But how can Mitch be so sure he himself won’t be in Carolina or SJ to start the season? Maybe he’ll be reunited with Papa Patty. Sure doesn’t sound like a guy who’ll be entertaining offersheet as or not playing in TO.

Mirtle:

They’ve seemingly talked to every team in the league about every defenceman they could plausibly add, including some surprising names such as Darnell Nurse, a former Soo Greyhound whom Leafs GM Kyle Dubas apparently tried to pry out of Edmonton a few weeks ago in a blockbuster deal before talks broke down. They’ve also expressed interest in Carolina’s Jaccob Slavin, which was a non-starter for the Canes.

But the Leafs are going to have to swing something far bigger to reshape their blueline. Every indication this weekend was that they’re willing to think outside the box and put some surprising names on the table to do so. Where talks go at this point is difficult to forecast.

The more I look at what they have and what they need, however, the more I think it’s going to take trading a key player such as Nazem Kadri or Jake Muzzin to shift things forward and better balance the roster. And it doesn’t feel impossible that Marner could be dealt, given the contract impasse and the fact that Toronto really can’t afford to concede much more than it already has on the AAV.

I am quite stunned Mitch is ok with destroying his reputation in this city.

Yep, he had this whole "aww shucks" thing going on that the corporate sponsors were eating up. That's dead now. He was the golden child who honestly could do no wrong in the city. My attitude towards him now is pretty simple...okay, you want top dollar, you better win then pussy. There's no more jerking ourselves silly over sexy assists against mediocre teams in November. Want elite elite money, we better get elite spring time production for it.

You're quite stunned a guy that recently turned 22 is listening to his parents? Really?

That's the way I see this.

Sure, but this is what an agent is supposed to be for. Not just the couple times in your career that you're negotiating a contract, but especially for a marketable player like Mitch, doing the right thing to protect his image, which can be worth 10's of millions in a place like Toronto over the course of his career.

What would the reaction have been if William Nylander had met with clubs leading up to July 1st last year?

He was painted as such a villain.

Sure, but this is what an agent is supposed to be for. Not just the couple times in your career that you're negotiating a contract, but especially for a marketable player like Mitch, doing the right thing to protect his image, which can be worth 10's of millions in a place like Toronto over the course of his career.

Sure, that is what agents are for however agents didn't raise the kid. If his Dad overrides the Agent's advice you know Mitch will listen to his dad.

What would the reaction have been if William Nylander had met with clubs leading up to July 1st last year?

He was painted as such a villain.

I warned certain people here on the board that were irrationally losing their shit about Willy, that Mitch was going to be a tough sign because his old man and his agent were both *******s.

We find out later that Dubas admits he ****ed up those negotiations, and it's pretty widely believed that we could have had Willy at 6.9 at the beginning of the process but Dubie was trying to be a hard ass. Willy has been about as fully exonerated as possible, but I don't think that has effected him image in the city.

Sure, that is what agents are for however agents didn't raise the kid. If his Dad overrides the Agent's advice you know Mitch will listen to his dad.

We're talking about a 22 yr old, not a 12 yr old. You hire professionals for a reason.

For Mitch and his camp, this is the only way they can push his salary into Matthews territory - if the market dictates that another team would pay him north of $10.5.

If no team steps up, he'll sign the Leafs best offer IMO.

Yep, he had this whole "aww shucks" thing going on that the corporate sponsors were eating up. That's dead now. He was the golden child who honestly could do no wrong in the city. My attitude towards him now is pretty simple...okay, you want top dollar, you better win then pussy. There's no more jerking ourselves silly over sexy assists against mediocre teams in November. Want elite elite money, we better get elite spring time production for it.

Do we have any real info on what’s actually happening, or is just speculation that is making Marner look like the bad guy?

Willie also looked unreasonable a year ago. Now it seems that “aw shucks” Dubas was in the wrong.

Yeah, there is no real info out there. People are overreacting just like they were with Willy.

Its just contract negotiations and posturing. I don't understand holding that against anyone. None of the big RFAs have signed.

I warned certain people here on the board that were irrationally losing their shit about Willy, that Mitch was going to be a tough sign because his old man and his agent were both *******s.

We find out later that Dubas admits he ****ed up those negotiations, and it's pretty widely believed that we could have had Willy at 6.9 at the beginning of the process but Dubie was trying to be a hard ass. Willy has been about as fully exonerated as possible, but I don't think that has effected him image in the city.

I assume you are talking about me here.

I will stop you right there. Have already mentioned that if Marner pulls the same shit (and it looks like he is heading down that road), that I will hold him to the same standard. These kids want big time dollars that are completely outside of comparables around the league. They talk like this, and then say some stupid shit like "I love being here" and "playing for this team is a dream", etc. It's all bullshit. At least come out and say I want to maximize my money and don't give a shit about anything else. Would respect them a lot more if they took that stance.

Yeah, there is no real info out there. People are overreacting just like they were with Willy.

Its just contract negotiations and posturing. I don't understand holding that against anyone. None of the big RFAs have signed.

Are we going down this road again?

The media heads were pretty spot on with the Nylander negotiations. And contract negotiations are one thing, but this guy's father has publicly berated our future captain and has gone public with a lot of the negotiation tactics including his son meeting with other teams. At least the Nylander camp didn't do shit like that. And Marner's reported ask is way more unreasonable than what Willy was asking for. You will see guys like Raantanen and Point pull in $9-9.5 million contracts, and this guy will still hold on to some stupid dream that he is on Matthews' level.

Back