• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Bruins, Game 1, 5/9, 8:00 PM Eastern, NBCSN

Ferland should be watching game 2. I'd pull him. He was worthless. He's not outplaying his Checkers replacement. Not even close. I

I had to go back and check the time on ice because I don’t remember hearing his name in the 3rd period. He played 5 shifts for 3:35. But 2 of the shifts were at the end of the period, he played all but 14 seconds of the last 2:02. Aside from the penalty he took in the 2nd, he was a cipher.

I had to go back and check the time on ice because I don’t remember hearing his name in the 3rd period. He played 5 shifts for 3:35. But 2 of the shifts were at the end of the period, he played all but 14 seconds of the last 2:02. Aside from the penalty he took in the 2nd, he was a cipher.

That wasn’t a Ferland thing. The entire 4th line had only 5 shifts in the 3d. Brindy shortened the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That wasn’t a Ferland thing. The entire 4th line had only 5 shifts in the 3d. Brindy shortened the bench.

Yeah but I heard McKegg’s and Martinook’s (or is it Martinuke?) names when they were on the ice. Very rarely heard Ferland’s.

So the analysts agree, particularly our old Jeff O'Neill, that it was a complete BS call against Hamilton. Yeah?!?

Anyway, I still think we largely outplayed the Bruins. This team needs to respond solid with a full 60 minutes of what worked against the Bruins and avoid as much as possible what didn't. Getting penalties particularly.
As for Ferland, I thought early in the game he made a couple of passes/plays that made me think oh yeah, he's not just a grinder, welcome back. But after that yeah he was pretty insignificant.

I also noticed Doc pronouncing it MartinUKE.

Well, they know if they can stay out of the box, that they can beat these guys. The Canes were the better team until halfway through the 3rd.

All specifics aside, The Canes had won 6 straight. A setback was inevitable. Nobody wins this thing without playing through some adversity. Regroup, and try again. I like how we match up against them in a long series. We just gotta get back to grinding it out and grinding them down.

Kuraly's hit on Svech was a blind crosscheck or could have even been called charging as he took several strides to lay it. Did Svech have the puck? I had just come back in the room...

Svech was nowhere near the puck or the play. He was basically just standing there and got cross-checked. The cameras and commentators were all focused on that incident, so it was a complete shock to EVERYONE that a call was made on Dougie for roughing.

The two penalties against Dougie were total BS and they cost us dearly. But we lost our mojo after Boston tied it up and that's 100% on us. For the most part in these playoffs, we've dominated the 3rd period and in this game we got beat in the 3rd.

I also noticed Doc pronouncing it MartinUKE.

Well, they know if they can stay out of the box, that they can beat these guys. The Canes were the better team until halfway through the 3rd.

Doc also couldn’t decide if #44 was dee Haan or day Haan.

At 5 on 5, Rask kept them in the game. That and McGinn missing a sitter short handed. Maybe it will be different with McAvoy back but they were better than the Bruins at even strength.

Svech was nowhere near the puck or the play. He was basically just standing there and got cross-checked. The cameras and commentators were all focused on that incident, so it was a complete shock to EVERYONE that a call was made on Dougie for roughing.

The two penalties against Dougie were total BS and they cost us dearly. But we lost our mojo after Boston tied it up and that's 100% on us. For the most part in these playoffs, we've dominated the 3rd period and in this game we got beat in the 3rd.

Svech did not get x-checked. Kuraly’s stick never touched Svech. Never. Kuraly drove into Svech with his arm and shoulder and made no effort to avoid blind-siding Svech. Could be interference depending on where the puck was, but there’s no way it was a x-check. In fact, if Dougie’s interference is the standard, then it was definitely interference.

I don't think you understand what roughing is. Reversing a hit on a guy isn't roughing. Complete horseshit call.

It can be if you get the elbow up. They've been calling that all season and Dougie has been popped for it a couple of times before. It's a bad habit for him. That said, it's a BS call because it LOOKED a lot worse than it actually WAS. He got the arm up but the contact was hardly dangerous. It was a nothing event. Ditto that interference call he got later on. Turned out he was playing the man with the puck, but from the initial camera angle it didn't look like it and I'm 90% sure the ref had roughly the same viewpoint as the camera in the corner.

Bottom line ... the refs were garbage and by the 3rd period they were flat out rattled and guessing at stuff. That said, Carolina took at least two STUPID penalties (Ferland and Staal) that they simply cannot take if they're going to win this series.

Svech did not get x-checked. Kuraly’s stick never touched Svech. Never. Kuraly drove into Svech with his arm and shoulder and made no effort to avoid blind-siding Svech. Could be interference depending on where the puck was, but there’s no way it was a x-check. In fact, if Dougie’s interference is the standard, then it was definitely interference.

It was fairly aggressive interference. Kuraly just sold it as accidental contact. He took a run at a guy with his back turned to him with the puck 10-15 feet away. Honestly, without the distraction of the call being made on Hamilton at the time, I'd guess that one gets called.

Let me skate at ANY of you at full speed, while you are against the boards. And if you don't put your arms up, you win a prize.

I'm about 6-3" 240 if it matters.

Morning after thoughts on Game 1

Refs ...
Look. They suck. All of them. And worse yet, the rulebook sucks and the MHL doesn't really have a handle on how they even want them to call the game anymore. As a result, every single playoff game I've spend more than 15 minutes watching has been poorly officiated in one way or another. I honestly don't think they're trying to screw anybody ... they just suck. Carolina came out on the bad end of a couple of calls, but they also took some dumb penalties ... against the best power play remaining. Don't do that.

Canes ...
In general, I thought it was a good effort. It took them a bit to get their game legs and hands, but they settled in fairly well and went about their business. Boston fought back though, because they're legit good and aren't going to allow Carolina to steam roller them with their possession game. There was plenty there for the Canes 5v5, they need to convert a bit better and the offense should be fine. Defensively, I thought they were solid as well. Boston's first line is a freaking load, and they had some killer shifts, but that's gonna happen ... especially on home ice when they can sneak them out against preferred matchups. I'm not mad at the effort or the game plan at all. Execution was an issue though, and I though Carolina got a little too fizzy in the moment last night. It's a young team that has played with almost ridiculous amounts of poise thus far, but last night I thought the emotions got away from them a bit. It's a big stage and not a lot of these guys have been there before. Crap like that happens ... just learn from it.

Coaching ...
Both benches had solid opening plans I thought. And unlike Trotz, Cassidy has some options at his disposal. We'll see how Brindy counters now that he's seen Boston's basic approach, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next two days aren't more about self examination than strategy for Carolina.

Goaltending ...
Mrazek was the right call, I think, and he played well enough. Everything went south in the last few minutes but he made some wonderful stops and had his battle level up where you want it. Rask was a little busier than he's used to and looked a bit scrambly at times. Still, he made the saves he needed to make to get the W so he gets the gold star.

Dougie ...
Get your head together, son. He made a million little mistakes trying to grab a bigger role in the game than was really on offer. Forget the two penalties for a minute, because even if those don't happen Dougie was a problem too often. I know you want to put the hammer down on a former club hat has largely treated you like garbage, but ... Chill The EFF Out.

Playoff Svech ...
This is kid is still a kid, right? Holy crap he was good.

Bottom line ...
It's fine. The result sucked, but it's all fine. Carolina played a good foundational game and there's plenty to build on moving forward. And they came out of a game relatively healthy for once. That's actually a big deal.

Let me skate at ANY of you at full speed, while you are against the boards. And if you don't put your arms up, you win a prize.

I'm about 6-3" 240 if it matters.

And that's fine. If I don't get the arm bar up in your face then I wouldn't get called for that. And I'm serious here. I don't like the call either, but at least it's a call we've seen them make frequently in the regular season. And once again, it LOOKED worse than it was once you had the benefit of replay. And there's no possible way I want those idiots in Toronto reviewing crap like that.

Last edited:
For the record, I predicted that Bruins fans would hate Foegele by the end of the first period.

NAILED it.

Svetch is turning into a monster. Aho looked better than he has in months.

If I’m the Bs I’m concerned because they got lucky on some calls and the timing of those calls and the resulting penalties gave them the lead and took us off our game, which they have no answer for.

If we can get to our game consistently we’ll be fine.

I expect this game to be a good motivator for Sunday. Obviously they’ll get an important defensive player back but at times our forecheck suffocated them and Chara looks slower every game so I liked what I saw there. Turbo and Aho looked darn solid and dangerous. Onward boys.

Regarding Chara, in that one scrum in front of the Bruins net, I would have given him a swift kick to the foot. Just saying.

I expect this game to be a good motivator for Sunday. Obviously they’ll get an important defensive player back but at times our forecheck suffocated them and Chara looks slower every game so I liked what I saw there. Turbo and Aho looked darn solid and dangerous. Onward boys.

Yeah. Matchups will change a bit with McAvoy back. He and Chara will draw Aho's line on defense assuming Chara isn't hobbled ... which is hard to tell, as slow as he is. That honestly doesn't bother me at all. McAvoy's a big part of what they do, but Chara is a liability when he's got to deal with Aho and Turbo flying around out there. You can only club baby seals if you can catch them.

Morning after thoughts on Game 1

Dougie ...
Get your head together, son. He made a million little mistakes trying to grab a bigger role in the game than was really on offer. Forget the two penalties for a minute, because even if those don't happen Dougie was a problem too often. I know you want to put the hammer down on a former club hat has largely treated you like garbage, but ... Chill The EFF Out.

Yes, you've nailed it with Dougie - but it also applies to the whole team. I love our physicality, but I think too many players let it get the better of them - almost like we were trying to out-Bruin the Bruins. If we stick to our hard fore-checking, possession-style game, we'll have the Bruins chasing us, which works to our advantage. Aside from poor officiating, a couple of brain farts and a melt-down during the last few minutes of play, this was an exciting, well-played game that we could have won. Move on.

Back