• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Trapezoid. Is it still needed?

NoMich

Something I've been kicking around in my head for a while now is the question: is the trapezoid behind the goal still needed? Just want to hear y'all's thoughts on that if you have any.

Regardless of the current rule, I think the trapezoid, outside of the crease SHOULD represent the only area that opposition can make contact with the goalie, song long as it is legal. While goalie's should be limited to playing the puck up to the hash marks.

Something I've been kicking around in my head for a while now is the question: is the trapezoid behind the goal still needed? Just want to hear y'all's thoughts on that if you have any.

What has changed since the rule was instituted that would now make it unnecessary? Brodeur retired? If that’s what’s changed, then the question should be was it ever really needed in the first place. Unless something else has changed, then getting rid of the rule just invites the same problem back into the game. Personally, I never thought there was a problem that needed to be solved. To me, it’s like the shifts in baseball. Don’t just outlaw it. Let teams figure out a way around it. Same thing with goalies handling the puck. You don’t like the goalie handling the puck? Find another way into the zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a pointless rule in the first place. And frankly, the whole rule book needs to be re-examined, re-worded so it actually does what everybody thinks it does, and generally streamlined to what amounts to an Idiot's Guide. The refs ARE idiots, after all. Spoon it to them in short sentences, using simple concepts, large colorful diagrams (preferably featuring cartoon characters) and VERY small words.

For example ... the word trapezoid is too big, comes from math for God's sake, and 90% of the NHL refs couldn't draw one on a napkin if their life depended on it. And you want them to enforce that just because you put a couple of lines on the ice that they don't really understand either? Please.

I'm going to be the contrarian. Regardless of the poor reasoning behind the original implementation of the rule, I think preventing the goalies from playing the puck in the corner keeps the game moving and adds offense overall. I would keep the rule as is.

I'm going to be the contrarian. Regardless of the poor reasoning behind the original implementation of the rule, I think preventing the goalies from playing the puck in the corner keeps the game moving and adds offense overall. I would keep the rule as is.

You want to keep the play moving and want more offense? How about not letting the goalie grab a dump in, then hold his hand over the puck for a few seconds while an opposing player gets into the neighborhood and then put his glove down over the puck and get a whistle? Mrazek did it a few times yesterday. Talk about an abuse of a rule that should be outlawed. If there is not an opposing player below the dots, play the puck or its a minor penalty for delay of game. Trapezoid? Don't need it. At least the goalie is keeping the play going when he plays it in the corners.

Regardless of the current rule, I think the trapezoid, outside of the crease SHOULD represent the only area that opposition can make contact with the goalie, song long as it is legal. While goalie's should be limited to playing the puck up to the hash marks.

I think just the opposite, James. Make the Trapezoid and the Goal Crease the goalies' protected area. Let the goalie play the puck any where he wants to, but outside of the protected areas he becomes a regular skater at that point and can be checked.

So if Broduer II wants to play the puck in the corner, have at it, but now you risk a body check instead of a poke check.

I think just the opposite, James. Make the Trapezoid and the Goal Crease the goalies' protected area. Let the goalie play the puck any where he wants to, but outside of the protected areas he becomes a regular skater at that point and can be checked.

So if Broduer II wants to play the puck in the corner, have at it, but now you risk a body check instead of a poke check.

Actually thanks for catching that - that's what I meant =D

You want to keep the play moving and want more offense? How about not letting the goalie grab a dump in, then hold his hand over the puck for a few seconds while an opposing player gets into the neighborhood and then put his glove down over the puck and get a whistle? Mrazek did it a few times yesterday. Talk about an abuse of a rule that should be outlawed. If there is not an opposing player below the dots, play the puck or its a minor penalty for delay of game. Trapezoid? Don't need it. At least the goalie is keeping the play going when he plays it in the corners.

Enforcing that rule and keeping the trapezoid don't strike me as mutually exclusive options.

The game is getting too rough so I think more restrictions are needed.
First, a green line from the center spot to the center of the cage. D’men would have to stay in their quarter of the ice. No more going over center line. Also d’men can go over their goal line.
Wings would have more latitude, they can go from their blue line into the attacking zone to the goal line but can’t go over it or cross over the green line. The also can’t go into their defensive zone. Centers can go most anywhere depending on the whim of the refs and the day of the week.
In order for this to work, the different positions players need to wear different color jerseys.
For example the center of team a might wear a nice chartreuse Jersey while his wings could wear amber and the d’men lime green.
These rules will open reduce and spread the number of people in any zone and open the game up to more skating.

The game is getting too rough so I think more restrictions are needed.
First, a green line from the center spot to the center of the cage. D’men would have to stay in their quarter of the ice. No more going over center line. Also d’men can go over their goal line.
Wings would have more latitude, they can go from their blue line into the attacking zone to the goal line but can’t go over it or cross over the green line. The also can’t go into their defensive zone. Centers can go most anywhere depending on the whim of the refs and the day of the week.
In order for this to work, the different positions players need to wear different color jerseys.
For example the center of team a might wear a nice chartreuse Jersey while his wings could wear amber and the d’men lime green.
These rules will open reduce and spread the number of people in any zone and open the game up to more skating.

b918feea-60fe-4904-8fd6-ec2f688fbfdb_1.bf29bc569fde3a0aa5bf91e10227112f.jpeg

Oh man that game was my jam, I had some set plays that were unstoppable. They need to update that game to include video review for goals. Once you really start shooting the puck around quickly to the point that it gets off the playing surface, it was hard to tell sometimes if the puck went in or not or hit the post or crossbar. :lol

Anyone remember playing the game with the stationary players on a slanted ice surface using a black marble for the puck? Now that was fun times.

Oh man that game was my jam, I had some set plays that were unstoppable. They need to update that game to include video review for goals. Once you really start shooting the puck around quickly to the point that it gets off the playing surface, it was hard to tell sometimes if the puck went in or not or hit the post or crossbar. :lol

The "stuff it somewhere near the net" from the one forward who could go behind the goal and the "shovel it towards the net from the center" were the only moves I had in slot hockey.

The Bobby Hull hockey game by Munro was designed so that if you could get the puck from the right D positioned directly over the slot and push/shoot the rod forward it was labelled top shelf over the goalies right shoulder every time. In fact, some models had a raised mini ramp along the center ice dasher where the wing could slide the puck back to the D for a potentially devastating one timer. But if you did it too hard or too fast, the whole game winds up in the other guys lap.

I had the big, table top rod hockey game. Used to love that. There wasn't a SuperChexx bubble hockey anywhere near where I grew up.

I tried to buy one back in the 90s, but decided the $2500 tag was just too much.

Back