• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Off Season Thread

Ryan Warsofsky (newly appointed Checkers head coach) was interviewed on NHL Radio's The Power Play show this afternoon.

- advantage knowing the Checkers players, systems in place, and what the parent org desires, including knowing principals at that level

- sees his youth (youngest AHL coach) as an advantage in that he has coached players older than himself and now is not that much older than his roster

- some talk about the positive benefits of their playoff run and success last season with lessons learned from that experience

- interview question about Jake Bean being close to a breakout and possible ascension to the NHL level was enthusiastically echoed ("special player") and how much he progresses "every day" with his hard work

- interview question about Nedeljkovic being also possibly ready to move up: great person and good puck handler, confident player that feeds bench confidence, thinks he will get his opportunities ("know the organization is happy with him") and eventually will move up.

Pretty short interview, but certainly enthusiastic energy in Ryan's answers to questions. Seems a happy guy that's looking forward to his next season as head coach of the Checkers.

It will be interesting to see if Jake Bean really is ready to make a mark. Everyone in the organization seems to be pretty high on him and I think our actions (trading de Haan even with TVR questionable for the start of the season) seem to indicate we have confidence in the kid being at least a capable first callup for injury player this coming season.

Every day that Zach Werenski, Kyle Connor, Patrik Laine, Matthew Tkachuk, Brock Boeser, Charlie McAvoy, Mikko Rantanen, Braydon Point and Mitch Marner remain unsigned should be a day we thank the Habs for getting Sebastian Aho signed for us.

Brock Boeser has it worse than any of those other guys. He isn't even offer sheet eligible, having only 2 years of 'professional experience' as defined in the CBA.

Other RFAs still waiting on contracts and without arbitration right include Canes killers Travis Konecny and Pavel Zacha , Ivan Provorov, and '40 point players' like Colin White, Kevin Fiala and Jakub Vrana.

Thank you Marc Bergevin!

Every day that Zach Werenski, Kyle Connor, Patrik Laine, Matthew Tkachuk, Brock Boeser, Charlie McAvoy, Mikko Rantanen, Braydon Point and Mitch Marner remain unsigned should be a day we thank the Habs for getting Sebastian Aho signed for us.

Brock Boeser has it worse than any of those other guys. He isn't even offer sheet eligible, having only 2 years of 'professional experience' as defined in the CBA.

Other RFAs still waiting on contracts and without arbitration right include Canes killers Travis Konecny and Pavel Zacha , Ivan Provorov, and '40 point players' like Colin White, Kevin Fiala and Jakub Vrana.

Thank you Marc Bergevin!

And Vancouver only has $5 million in cap room but, CapFriendly shows them with 24 players under contract, so they may not have to make a trade. But they have 12 forwards making at least $1.25 million (for $42.4 million) and that doesn’t include Petterson. They have 5 dmen making at least $2 million (for $20.775 million), $4.7 million in goalies, $1 million in Spooner’s buyout and $3 million in Luongo’s recapture penalty.

2 scouts promoted including Kron and 3 new scouts hired

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-announce-changes-to-scouting-staff/c-308238074

Did Kron move back to Europe to scout from there? I assume he moved back.

I don’t know if he moved to Europe, but he doesn’t live in Wake County anymore. He used to live near me in North Raleigh.

Dzingel acquisition provides a lot of roster flexibility for next season.

Williams decision now has a bit less impact if he's deciding to retire. Removed the "now what?" moment.

Also provides flexibility as to how to react to the arbitrator's decision regarding McGinn's next contract.

I see Dzingel listed as a center, but believe he has mostly played left wing. His career FO% is 40% and looking at his FOW and FOL totals he appears to have only taken about one FO per game. That could easily be just second-man-in after his center was kicked out of the FO circle.

NCSU BB will now sell beer and wine to all fans starting this season . I assume that means extra money for Gale Force/Dundon.

(They are also selling beer and wine to everyone for FB games)

Before this new law they only sold beer/wine in FB and BB only in the suites to high rollers.

Darling might be able to get an AHL job to see if he can make it back to the NHL. But with his buyout he might take some time off first.

Congrats on his engagement! I wish Darling the best. I consider his failure here as much on him as I do the management team that signed him to that huge contract without putting in measures or taking actions to ensure he showed up in shape and ready to play NHL hockey-- physically and mentally.

Darling might be able to get an AHL job to see if he can make it back to the NHL. But with his buyout he might take some time off first.

Considering he had been signed to an NHL contract for years and then got bought out, with proper money management, dude shouldn't have financial issues or need to play hockey anytime soon.

Jim

Also if Darling were to take a year off that might make teams shy away from signing him even at the AHL level. Remember he did not play much last season. If he wants to get back into the game he should probably take any AHL offer he gets for this upcoming season. Or he could end up in Europe if that's the best offer.

and there is a report Forsling might go to the KHL

Last edited:
Back