• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Off Season Thread

WHY ARE WE REHASHING THIS DISCUSSION AGAIN?!

Whether or not other teams have done this or not is not going to change anyone's mind...some people like when we wear the Whalers jerseys, some don't. There is no right or wrong here. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

Whoa. Touchy touchy. lol
In itself, class move. On the greater discussion of wearing former jerseys... whatever. I think this is also a special case since the city of Montreal also probably being recognized for the hurdles they helped overcome in Jackey Robinson (this was with the Royals not the Spos...) but I think that history and maybe a small "one of two other only" Canadian baseball teams plays into this. Not quite the same.
I don't really care if we wear em or not. It was nice to see, but the team are the Hurricanes. Basta.

WHY ARE WE REHASHING THIS DISCUSSION AGAIN?!

Whether or not other teams have done this or not is not going to change anyone's mind...some people like when we wear the Whalers jerseys, some don't. There is no right or wrong here. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

Thank you.

Arguing over this is ridiculous. Have an opinion and be done with it.

Dustin Tokarski follows Vellucci and signs an AHL contract with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He had an NHL contract with the Rangers last season but didn’t play for them. The Checkers got him on loan from Hartford in exchange for loaning Josh Wesley to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dustin Tokarski follows Vellucci and signs an AHL contract with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He had an NHL contract with the Rangers last season but didn’t play for them. The Checkers got him on loan from Hartford in exchange for loaning Josh Wesley to them.

Considering the Canes will have at least one guy in the A with significant NHL experience (presumably Forsberg), another that they'd like to get some NHL experience (presumably Ned), and Callum Booth likely stuck in the ECHL for another year there not only wasn't room for Tokarski ... he kinda had to go. He wasn't even Carolina's player anyway, as noted. I know a lot of people down in Charlotte who are getting quite salty about all these guys leaving the Checkers, but it's not like they won't see a team with some quality prospects and I feel certain that they will also add some AHL vets before camps open.

Another day, another Finn. Canes sign dman Alex Lintuniemi to a 1 year, 2 way deal. He had 25 points in 67 games for the Ontario Reign in the AHL. Originally drafted by LA in the 2014 2nd round, he was non-tendered by the Kings. He and Aho were teammates on Finland’s 2015 U-20 team.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-sign-alex-lintuniemi-to-one-year-two-way-deal/c-308180464

I think CapFriendly was showing him in the Canes non-roster list on Friday or Saturday. That paperwork took a WHILE. Low key prospect but from what I can gather he's a solid AHL 2-way defenseman. Size is good and he's a right shot ... so he's got that going for him. Remember when we had next to no D with right shots? Yeah.

I'm wearing a Whalers t-shirt right now typing this, and my opinion is that Whalers night doesn't need to happen again anytime soon. It was both fun and awkward, and it's over. Doesn't need to be an every year thing.

Good to get McGinn out of the way sooner rather than later. Forsberg is easy ... he's an asset we got dumping salary. If they don't like his award they can just waive goodbye and give him a crisp "play great where ever you land." McGinn not so much. He may not be a top 6 guy, but he's a pretty important cog in the machine since he can kill penalties, grind on a grunt line, slot up with a couple of skilled guys and generally does everything at the pace that Brindy wants. He and Martinook are significant players on this roster, no matter their ice time.

Good to get McGinn out of the way sooner rather than later. Forsberg is easy ... he's an asset we got dumping salary. If they don't like his award they can just waive goodbye and give him a crisp "play great where ever you land." McGinn not so much. He may not be a top 6 guy, but he's a pretty important cog in the machine since he can kill penalties, grind on a grunt line, slot up with a couple of skilled guys and generally does everything at the pace that Brindy wants. He and Martinook are significant players on this roster, no matter their ice time.

RBA said as much-- he's not a star on this team, but any team in the league would want him. He's the type of player all teams want and need.

I hope they can come to a decent agreement and the arbitration hearing is not needed.

RBA said as much-- he's not a star on this team, but any team in the league would want him. He's the type of player all teams want and need.

I hope they can come to a decent agreement and the arbitration hearing is not needed.

I'll take it either way. So long as he gets a new deal, I'm past caring about the "how." I suspect there's going to be a LOT of close calls in contract negotiations with Dundon. He's a guy who doesn't give a crap about perception, but who gives many craps about wasting money.

I'm hoping Brock is re-signed just so I can hear Wade Minter say his name in the arena. It's my personal favorite player introduction.

I'll take it either way. So long as he gets a new deal, I'm past caring about the "how." I suspect there's going to be a LOT of close calls in contract negotiations with Dundon. He's a guy who doesn't give a crap about perception, but who gives many craps about wasting money.

Jim Rutherford would never have made it in Dundon's world-- never!

2 years $4 million would be a perfect contract for McGinn at this stage. I would expect him to be asking for $2.5 million and the Canes submitting $1.5 million. It will be interesting to see if the Canes really go all the way to the hearing with the new regime in place.

McGinn is easily worth $2 million per based on his last 2 seasons at this point in his career.

Back