• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Off Season Thread

Elliotte Friedmann says Bales is a candidate for the same job in Buffalo. So he’s following the path that Steve Smith blazed last June.

New article from Chip today with a few tidbits.

- Waddell will talk to Aho’s agent at the draft in Vancouver. He says “there’s still some real negotiating to be done”. Yikes
- Williams has not made a decision on playing next season yet. RBA has been talking to him. Waddell will talk to Williams at the NHL Awards ceremony in Las Vegas.
- There have been no discussions with Ferland. He gone.
- As he noted in the post season presser, Waddell wants to re-sign (sorry, CMal) both Mrazek and McElhinney. The Oilers just re-signed Mikko Koskinen for 3 year/$13.5 million. Mrazek has better numbers, so if you were hoping to stay near Darling’s contact value, you may be disappointed.
- Tony MacDonald, the Director of Amateur Scouting is retiring after the draft.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article231439148.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who hates that resigned and re-signed look just about the same but mean opposite things? Someone needs to fix that.

That is a nuance that causes confusion when mishandled by casual posting on some fan boards I read.

And while someone is fixing that confusing aspect of our language, have them look into the fact that "flammable" and "inflammable" do mean the same thing.

Of all things to be kind of vague about. Kinda important to know that "inflammable" does NOT mean "not flammable".

This March 5th Greg Wyshynski article and Mike Bales interview seems relevant:

The secret to the Carolina Hurricanes' goaltending turnaround

Bales was a Francis hire after Fleury left the Penguins and Bales lost his position there. Have read quotes in the past from Fleury crediting Bales with turning his game around by having him focus on finding the post before attacking the puck.

Seems from what Bales himself and others say he was a fairly hands-off in his coaching unless the goalie asked for some help in working on something.

Yeah ... weird how much difference a year makes. I doubt anyone around Raleigh would have given a crap if Bales had resigned last summer, but coming off of a successful season people are acting like this is the beginning of the end or something. God, but we've been deeply conditioned to failure around here.

Bottom line ... go hire another goalie coach. Big whoop.

Yeah, I'm in the big whoop camp as well.

Heck, we don't even know who our goalies are going to be next season.

It won't take long for the Hockey Media pundits to start a new round of slamming Dundon trying to do things on the cheap regardless of the facts.

Honestly considering we squeezed out Chuck K. last offseason, I am a bit nervous about John and Tripp. Hopefully that doesn't become contentious in any way. Also I noticed Waddell already indicated that our economics impact our offers...meaning top dollar is not in the cards for anyone negotiating a new contract with the Canes. I mean, I get that, and I don't doubt that we will continue that approach, but I hate seeing that publicly stated like that. Yeah we are not about to pay Jeff SKinner $9 million per and if Edmonton signs a questionable goalie to a ridiculous contract that doesn't mean we have to pay more than that to retain Mrazek, but we also don't want to get into the business of lowballing everyone either.

Elliotte Friedmann says Bales is a candidate for the same job in Buffalo. So he’s following the path that Steve Smith blazed last June.

This makes sense considering Buffalo's new GM, Jason Botterill, was an assistant GM for the Penguins when Bales was first hired as a goalie development coach and amateur scout in 2011 and then promoted to goalie coach in 2013.

Supposedly Bales had one more year remaining on his contract with the Canes.

This makes sense considering Buffalo's new GM, Jason Botterill, was an assistant GM for the Penguins when Bales was first hired as a goalie development coach and amateur scout in 2011 and then promoted to goalie coach in 2013.

Supposedly Bales had one more year remaining on his contract with the Canes.

Well, hopefully the value of quality starting and backup goaltending was made obvious to ownership so that there is no skimping when it comes to getting a quality goalie coach.

It won't take long for the Hockey Media pundits to start a new round of slamming Dundon trying to do things on the cheap regardless of the facts.

Honestly considering we squeezed out Chuck K. last offseason, I am a bit nervous about John and Tripp. Hopefully that doesn't become contentious in any way. Also I noticed Waddell already indicated that our economics impact our offers...meaning top dollar is not in the cards for anyone negotiating a new contract with the Canes. I mean, I get that, and I don't doubt that we will continue that approach, but I hate seeing that publicly stated like that. Yeah we are not about to pay Jeff SKinner $9 million per and if Edmonton signs a questionable goalie to a ridiculous contract that doesn't mean we have to pay more than that to retain Mrazek, but we also don't want to get into the business of lowballing everyone either.

I don't want to start anything, but be aware that I caught wind of a rumor that Tripp might be done.

Exhibition schedule for next season is out ...

Canes play 3 Ex-games at home ... Tampa on 9/18, Nashville on 9/27, and Washington on 9/28

Do with this what you will.

The Facebook and social media comments are already handing Bales position to...wait for it...Cam Ward!!!

:couch

I was at an event for his winery on Saturday. Jim Cain interrupted my conversation with Cam (let’s face it, he’s more important than me and probably spends a lot more on Cam’s wine than I do). As I was backing away gracefully, I heard Cain ask him was was next. From what I could overhear without making it too obvious, Cam answered with a word salad.

OK, I’m done dropping names. Carry on.

According to Mike Smith, Bales has an out in his contract if a full time assistant job was offered. Buffalo inquired so they let him go. He was officially named to Buffalo’s staff today.

According to Mike Smith, Bales has an out in his contract if a full time assistant job was offered. Buffalo inquired so they let him go. He was officially named to Buffalo’s staff today.

Jason Botterill and Bales apparently worked together for a few years in Pittsburgh and maybe he wanted a new "challenge" in Buffalo, after all, turning around the Sabres is certainly a challenge for Bales moving forward!

Back