• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Offer Sheet for Aho

Apparently Aho's agent and Point's agent are one in the same. MTL debated between tendering offer sheets for Aho or Point. I suspect a wee bit of guidance from the agent on this one tipped the hand for Bergevin toward Aho. Unclear how the negotiations were working, but when Waddell said there was no response to the Canes offer on Friday, he suspected an offer sheet was in the mix. Yet he had to know the offer sheet risk was real as that was part of the reason he gave to unload deHaan-- the potential for an offer sheet. So, the Canes were willing to risk going up against an offer sheet to squeeze Aho if you ask me....

If the Canes don't match then yeah... You should be pissed off.

If they do match, you should probably be happy the Habs made that offer. If they were REALLY serious, they would have offered $10+.

So now you’re going to tell us how we should feel. Ok. I guess that comes off as condescending. That’s when you talk down to someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now you’re going to tell us how we should feel. Ok. I guess that comes off as condescending. That’s when you talk down to someone.

Oh for **** sakes.

I was just having a conversation.

I'll show myself the door.

There’s no reason for hostility, Canes will match and everyone will be happy.

Oh for **** sakes.

I was just having a conversation.

I'll show myself the door.

You know we are a bit sensitive here. The best thing that’s happened to us in 10 years— a team coming together, making the playoffs, an owner with pockets— and we are being toyed with and tested as we rebuild. I think last year was one of those “lightning in a bottle” season. We need to build on this and now We are getting poked. I’m good with the excitement, but right now I’m of the opinion Dundon matches, but sense this one will sit in his craw for quite a bit...

Sign him and then trade him next year once we can; to Siberia.. I like what is going on here and it is coming from the backend. The Aho is a star, but if he wants to go then let the Aho go. Faulk too. Package them even. The signing bonus scale may screw that all up so the Aho better play well and good if he stays. I wish I could do anything worth 5 years at 8,4+ or find a sucker to pay me pennies on those dollars

You know we are a bit sensitive here. The best thing that’s happened to us in 10 years— a team coming together, making the playoffs, an owner with pockets— and we are being toyed with and tested as we rebuild. I think last year was one of those “lightning in a bottle” season. We need to build on this and now We are getting poked. I’m good with the excitement, but right now I’m of the opinion Dundon matches, but sense this one will sit in his craw for quite a bit...

Fair enough.

To be clear... I wasn't telling anyone how to feel or talking down to anyone. It was a figure of speech. I was saying "if they match you should be happy that the Habs did what they did." As in "if I were a Canes fan I would be happy with that outcome."

By no means do I think I have the right to tell anyone how to think, nor do I feel my opinion is any more valid than anyone else's. It's a chat forum... I'm here to discuss things. That's all. Check my record... I don't come on this board to stir shit.

Now that I have had a few hours to let this sink in, I am stunned at the vitriol that (some) people are expressing towards Aho. The kid has been nothing but a model player and citizen since he got here. All he did today was sign an offer from another team willing to put over $40 million in his bank account over the next five years. It's the way the system works, and in the end, it will result in him almost definitely being on the home bench in the PNC Arena this fall and allowing his team's management to not waste time negotiating further with his agent--who was the catalyst for all of this--and focus on building out the rest of the line-up.

I'm confident he is happy to remain a Carolina Hurricane and with the extra bonus he got today of being able to be an unrestricted free agent at the earliest point possible, which is all this offer sheet accomplished.

Aho's offer will be matched, Mrazek is back, Haula should be a solid addition, Necas is hopefully ready to make the jump...now we need one more scoring winger (two if JWill doesn't re-sign) and a few other spare parts and we should be good to go.

Fair enough.

To be clear... I wasn't telling anyone how to feel or talking down to anyone. It was a figure of speech. I was saying "if they match you should be happy that the Habs did what they did." As in "if I were a Canes fan I would be happy with that outcome."

By no means do I think I have the right to tell anyone how to think, nor do I feel my opinion is any more valid than anyone else's. It's a chat forum... I'm here to discuss things. That's all. Check my record... I don't come on this board to stir shit.

Bloody shit disturber, what’s wrong with you?

Dunden's first sapling
grow or die, buy or sell, do anything now
My son is watching

Were you trying for a haiku there?

I'm not thrilled by how the whole thing was managed/mangled, but having Aho under contract for five more years should be a good thing, and if Aho does for us what Feds did for Detroit, it'll be worth it. So I guess I'll call that optimistic.

Last edited:
:cheers2:
Fair enough.

It’s all good... now, let Bergevin stew for seven days.

Were you trying for a haiku there?

I'm not thrilled by how the whole thing was managed/mangled, but having Aho under contract for five more years should be a good thing, and if Aho does for us what Feds did for Detroit, it'll be worth it. So I guess I'll call that optimistic.

Trying? It sort of is or is not. I might have miscounted the syllables but I did include a seasonal element, making it even more properly a haiku. Feds was the only other offer sheet I thought of today, and that one set the bar. This one may too, but the outcome will take a few years to digest. I thought Aho was being fast tracked to be the captain.

Last edited:
:cheers2:

It’s all good... now, let Bergevin stew for seven days.

As much as I’d like to see the Canes temporarily hamstring the Habs’ finances, it’d make far more sense from the Canes’ side to match the offer ASAP.

Back