• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

David Pastrnak had surgery to repair his left thumb and will be out at least 2 weeks. The Bruins are 3rd in the Atlantic, 1 point ahead of Montreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also worth noting that Boston are on 70 points and sit only one thin point above the first wildcard team ... Montreal.

Washington's struggles have continued and they're creeping into the Wildcard zone as well, at 69 points ... only 4 ahead of Columbus for 3rd in the Metro. The East is starting to take on the typical look of the West underneath Tampa. There's only ten points between 2nd in the Conference NY Islanders and 9th in the Conference Carolina. A large-ish pile of teams that aren't bad but aren't all that good either.

That is NOT good news for the NHL regional TV contracts. Sinclair is a freaking joke.

The Chicago Cubs are going the way of the Yankees and setting up their own TV network. It will be their exclusive TV home starting in 2020. They’re partnering with Sinclair. The Cubs current TV home is WGN, the flagship TV station of Tribune Broadcasting, which Sinclair tried to buy before the FCC killed the deal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dannyecker/status/1095664534944182272

For decades the Cubs essentially had their own network in WGN, and the club was actually owned by the Tribune for almost 30 years. Weird relationship to say the least ... with the Cubs being owned, operated, broadcast on radio and TV and reported on in the market's major newspaper all by the same company. WGN gave the Cubs a national footprint even though they really didn't earn it on the field ... kind of like TBS and the Braves. But all of those old relationships fade into the mists eventually.

Red Wings place Hurricanes legend Martin Frk on waivers...

We got Frk from them the last time they tried that, didn't we? If he's being waived again, I'm guessing that Frk and fine wine aren't related.

We got Frk from them the last time they tried that, didn't we? If he's being waived again, I'm guessing that Frk and fine wine aren't related.

He was with the Canes for 22 days in October, 2016. After being claimed by Detroit, he spent the rest of 2016-17 season in GrandRapids. But he spent all of last season in Detroit, scoring 11 goals in 68 games. He only played 25 games this season, with 1 goal.

Frk is just one of those guys that would appear to do well in the NHL, but always proves to be AHL material.

The AHL is filled with guys like Frk. Most of them have names with more vowels though.

I have 12 letters in my last name and only 3 are vowels— running multiple consonants together scares people. There is a stretch of five consonants without a vowel in my last name.

There's some irony in the fact that Nedeljkovic keeps popping up in lists of the top 30 goaltending prospects. Granted, he's consistently between 21 and 30, but still...

There's some irony in the fact that Nedeljkovic keeps popping up in lists of the top 30 goaltending prospects. Granted, he's consistently between 21 and 30, but still...

I mean, Ned's a decent prospect. Not top shelf based on the glacial pace of his development, but his pedigree is solid and he's done well taking on the full time starter role in Charlotte. Not sure what's surprising or ironic about him appearing on a goalie prospects list in the bottom 3rd of the pile.

The Lightning are going to break 100 points before the end of February. Wow.

Being down east all weekend, having the NHL Network but not the Fox Sports stations, I've seen lots of non-Canes hockey. Admittedly, I haven't watched much of that lately. The west is a train wreck. The Sharjs just look old. The Blues and Hawks game was ugly. The Blues have one line. The Hawks have no goaltending. What a mess.

Being down east all weekend, having the NHL Network but not the Fox Sports stations, I've seen lots of non-Canes hockey. Admittedly, I haven't watched much of that lately. The west is a train wreck. The Sharjs just look old. The Blues and Hawks game was ugly. The Blues have one line. The Hawks have no goaltending. What a mess.

Canes have 68 points, tied with Vegas for 12th in the league. They’d have the 5th most points in the West, 9 points from the top. Calgary and San Jose are tied with 77 points, a staggering 15 behind Tampa. They’re on pace for 128 points.

Mostly, what I've noticed this season is that the Western teams, in general, look big and more importantly slow. Some of their bigger name teams like Chicago, San Jose and Anaheim have kind of all gotten old at the same time, but the general trend in the NHL towards youth and speed has bit them collectively in the butt. While teams like Vancouver and Arizona aren't great right now, with the way they're built both of those teams are in a much better position to take a next step than those old heavy hitters. Arizona would have to find some money, of course ... but that's another subject.

Pens win to push the Canes back below the line, but the Habs lose (to FLA) leaving them still 1 point ahead of the Canes with a game in hand. Canes need to continue to put together a whole lot of wins, but they have themselves in a prime spot if they can keep winning.

Mostly, what I've noticed this season is that the Western teams, in general, look big and more importantly slow. Some of their bigger name teams like Chicago, San Jose and Anaheim have kind of all gotten old at the same time, but the general trend in the NHL towards youth and speed has bit them collectively in the butt. While teams like Vancouver and Arizona aren't great right now, with the way they're built both of those teams are in a much better position to take a next step than those old heavy hitters. Arizona would have to find some money, of course ... but that's another subject.

You might want to leave San Jose out of your Western grouping. They are a pretty fast and skilled team and currently sit tied for 2nd overall in the NHL. Generally, I agree with your sentament that the West is not very good this year outside of Winnipeg, Nashville, San Jose and Calgary. There is a pretty big drop after those 4 teams.

Back