• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Prospect and Calder Cup Winning Charlotte Checkers Thread

Re: 2018-19 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

Sending Velluci to Charlotte was what got Ned back on the right track. After he finished in juniors, Ned was floundering and was really struggling. Vellucci has made sure a lot of those prospects are coming along-- nice job. He's more effective behind the bench than in an office in Raleigh.

Yeah. I keep expecting to see his name linked to an NHL opening, but nothing so far.

2018-19 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

Both new guys in the Cherkers lineup tonight for their playoff opener in Providence. Pritchard is at 3LW with Roy and Gauthier. Matthews is 4C between Lorentz and Nastasiuk.

FWIW, Bishop is healthy and at 2C tonight with Jurco and Necas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, the Checkers won game one 5-4 on the road. Geekie scored two in the opening frame and Sanguinetti got the game winner after a furious Baby Bruins comeback.

As much as there are plenty of issues with the NHL's playoff format, the better team starting the first two games on the road in a best of five series is a head scratcher. I can see what they're trying to do in theory, but home ice is supposed to be an advantage.

As much as there are plenty of issues with the NHL's playoff format, the better team starting the first two games on the road in a best of five series is a head scratcher. I can see what they're trying to do in theory, but home ice is supposed to be an advantage.
Yeah, pretty much everything about AHL scheduling is a mystery

Yeah, pretty much everything about AHL scheduling is a mystery

I'm sure it's done 100% to keep travel costs to a minimum. If you only want there to be one round of travel between the two cities, it's the only way to fairly split things in a five-game series.

Ya it's for travel. It's normally 2-2-1 but if the distance between the cities passes some limit (that I didn't catch), highest seed gets to choose whether they want first 2 or last 3 at home, so Cherkers chose last 3.

Checkers lost game 2 to Providence and apparently have lost Trevor Carrick to a series ending 3 game suspension with Bobby Sanguinetti also getting suspended. I bet Fleury, Brown, Bishop, Saku and McKegg are all on an express flight to Charlotte if the Canes lose tonight. The Checkers are going to need the extra bodies!

Too bad Svech isn't AHL-eligible. He would be a REAL jolt to the offense.

Checkers lost game 2 to Providence and apparently have lost Trevor Carrick to a series ending 3 game suspension with Bobby Sanguinetti also getting suspended. I bet Fleury, Brown, Bishop, Saku and McKegg are all on an express flight to Charlotte if the Canes lose tonight. The Checkers are going to need the extra bodies!

I don’t think McKegg can go back without waivers. Bishop already went back as soon as Martinook came back to play.

Ned pitched a a shutout tonight, Poturalski x2 and Saarela with the goals.

I don’t think McKegg can go back without waivers. Bishop already went back as soon as Martinook came back to play.

Ned pitched a a shutout tonight, Poturalski x2 and Saarela with the goals.

I guess nobody is going back now!!! I guess perhaps Brown could go back down if Svech and/or Ferland can play, but I like the way things have turned!

I guess nobody is going back now!!! I guess perhaps Brown could go back down if Svech and/or Ferland can play, but I like the way things have turned!

I'd guess they'll either keep Brown until both of them are able to play or maybe swap him for somebody else. You HAVE to keep an extra forward around, especially given how banged up we are.

2018-19 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

I'd guess they'll either keep Brown until both of them are able to play or maybe swap him for somebody else. You HAVE to keep an extra forward around, especially given how banged up we are.

I think Brown was an emergency recall so he’d have to go back if Svech plays.

I think Brown was an emergency recall so he’d have to go back if Svech plays.

Pretty sure they can designate him as replacement for Ferland if he also isn't ready to go. Could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure we've slid that designation around in the past.

Clark Bishop was recalled again today.

That's ominous. Martinook out and Svetch not coming back tomorrow?

Martinook played almost 13 minutes last night on heart and guts. He didn’t play at all in the OT. Svechnikov still has 1 more test to pass before he’s fully cleared. I think this move is insurance if nothing else.

I think if Marty has to play on nothing but "want to" he will, but you probably shouldn't ask that of a guy in Game 1. He certainly didn't help that leg get any better by playing on it the last two games. And honestly, if Svech still has to clear the contract practice hurdle, he's not going to get a chance until Game 2. The Canes took yesterday off and today is game day. It sounded like Ferland might be an actual possibility but we'll see. Bishop gives you options.

Back