• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

I don't mind seeing the Lakers go for it.

In my ideal world, the Raptors re-sign Kawhi and face off against Lebron in the finals next year. "Lebronto" would be a pretty satisfying dragon to slay.

So yeah:

Lebron: 37.44
AD: 27.1
Kemba: 32.7
Deng: 5.0
Wagner: 2.1
Kuzma: 2.0
Bongo: 1.42
= 107.76

Cap is expected to be 109 million. The Lakers will have the ~8.5 million dollar MLE to use, as well as the 3.3 million dollar bi annual exemption. This is where they'll grab their veteran ring chasing group from.

They have cap holds on Reggie Bullock & Mike Muscala, allowing them to go over the cap to sign, so they'll almost 100% do this (even if it means to trade them for other bodies later)

They have KCP's early bird rights, but he may price himself out of their ability to pay him. You have to be under the cap to sign someone with early bird rights (and by 20% of the 1st year salary) and KCP is going to want a steady 15 million or more. Sign him first, and you don't have Kemba space, so I don't see how this works out.

They can sign as many players to the veteran minimum as they can get to show up (so yeah, Javale McGee probably comes back, though Rondo and Lance likely don't)

C - AD
PF - Kuzma
SF - Lebron
SG - Bullock
PG - Kemba

MLE target
Bi Annual target
McGee
Muscala
Wagner
Bongo
Vet Minimum

Unadulterated ass for a rotation beyond the big 3.

Depends on what you mean by "wiggle room".

We would have the MLE to use. We would also have the bi annual exception, and we can sign as many vet minimum ring chasers as well. We can go over the cap to re sign everyone on our roster.

As to strictly wiggle room though, almost none. The MLE, Bi annual, and vet min exceptions is all. If Kawhi stays though, I'd be surprised if we didn't see some vet ring chasers show up wanting to play.

A round up of other shit going on during F5 season

- The Wizards rumours won't **** off, with Obama allegedly trying to recruit Masai now. But while that's going on, the Wizards have the 9th pick and apparently haven't worked out any prospects that are considered by observers to be top 10 prospects for this draft, and the draft is this week. It's an epic cluster **** of an organization. The thing I don't think the US sports media is really getting here is that a Billionaire (they keep throwing that word around...a Billionaire is pursuing Masai) is worth less than the Billionaire who owns 25% of MLSE. Never mind the 2 media giants worth a combined ~65 Billion USD. MLSE is pretty damn close to being a 4 Billion dollar operation by itself in team values and real estate. So, leave a deep pocketed giant where you just won a title and have free reign, to turn around a complete mess of an organization in a middle tier market for a lower end owner....because DC has a lot of NGO's in town and that might help basketball without borders. MLSE has learned the value of elite leadership, there's no way they let Masai leave.

- With that said, it's expected that Alameda County is going to push forward with battery charges on Masai.

- Chris Paul allegedly wants out of Houston, and surprise, he's interested in the Lakers. If they strike out on Kemba, I could see this happen

- Celtics refused to include Tatum in AD trade talks again

- Surgically repaired KD is apparently interested in "load management" as a way to extend his best playing years. I expect this shit to be a trend going forward. Kawhi has shook up the world.

- The Pelicans are already getting a lot of interest around the league for the 4th overall

- The picks that went for AD are apparently going to turn out pretty interesting. There's a new NBA rule that doesn't allow you to trade 1sts in consecutive years, so it looks like the picks are 2019, 2021, 2023. But there's apparently some ability for the Pelicans to push the picks back a season. So for example if the Lakers win the title in 20-21, the Pelicans can push the 2021 pick to 2022 instead. Given Lebron's age, the Pelicans may snag another good draft pick out of this deal. This isn't confirmed yet, but apparently there is some ****ery that has yet to be announced regardless.

What about a Marc Gasol

You know McGee is good eh? Also likely to show up for the veteran minimum. AD prefers PF but with Lebron starting to slow down, the plan is to transition him to the 4 spot, which has changed over the last few years. I don't see them bringing in an expensive C.

or Kyle Lowery if Raps go rebuild?

Maybe, but I don't see what they have to offer us anymore. They just blew it all out for AD. The CP3 contract is gruesome, I could see Houston moving that just to get rid of it. Lowry at one 1 yr remaining would have value.

Do we think the Lakers loading up helps our chances to keep Kawhi? Lebron/AD/Kemba?/Kuzma is significantly scarier than what the Clips could put together.

Do we think the Lakers loading up helps our chances to keep Kawhi? Lebron/AD/Kemba?/Kuzma is significantly scarier than what the Clips could put together.

Yes. Kawhi wants to win. Winning in the west appears to have just gotten harder. Lebron-AD next year (along with a bunch of 50+ win quality teams) and then both the reborn Warriors & Lebron-AD (plus the 50+ win quality teams) the year after. The west is going to stay a meat grinder for the forseeable future. Shit, if Kawhi is the only major Clipper addition this off season, they're going to struggle to finish with home court in the 1st round if Kawhi is doing his usual load management thing.

I feel like if Kawhi chooses LAC over TOR it never will be or was about basketball reasons

Yes and no. Clearly he likes the idea of being close to home. But he's not going to LAC to kick back and expect to not win things. If he doesn't think the organization stands a solid chance of contending with him there, I don't think he'll go there.

I feel like if Kawhi chooses LAC over TOR it never will be or was about basketball reasons

Yes and no. Clearly he likes the idea of being close to home. But he's not going to LAC to kick back and expect to not win things. If he doesn't think the organization stands a solid chance of contending with him there, I don't think he'll go there.

Not that it means much of anything because he doesn't talk and I don't think Uncle Dennis is out shouting his shit in the street either...but "sources close" to Kawhi have always downplayed the Lakers as a destination.

Back