• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

I'm skeptical. Which is also why I think trading Ferland and or Hamilton is beyond stupid. Trade for what? Been there, done that, got the crummy t shirt.

I'm skeptical. Which is also why I think trading Ferland and or Hamilton is beyond stupid. Trade for what? Been there, done that, got the crummy t shirt.

Trading Hamilton (or another d-man, which was the gist of the story) to get an offensive asset and to clear a path for Adam Fox (assuming he does want to sign) makes sense. Not saying one way or the other that it's good sense, but at least there's logic to it. Trading Ferland because he will be too expensive makes no sense. Allegedly we traded Lindholm because he wanted too much money but was unproven. Ferland has proved himself. At some point you have to pay someone, or else the guys that you want to pay (lookin' at you Aho) won't want to play here because they're playing on an island (Skinner).

"Makes sense" in that it passes a simple logic test, yes. Makes sense in that it ... you know ... actually makes sense, then no. You can't go out and spend the asset cost it takes to get players as good as Hamilton and Ferland and then dump them less that a year later if you're serious about improving your hockey club. If you're not serious, too cheap to pay anybody a going rate or just playing ego games by owning a team in the first place, then sure ... carry on. If the Canes were to dump Hamilton and Ferland at the deadline I'd bet my car that they wouldn't get back value equal to just having kept freaking Lindholm and Hanifin had they not bothered with that trade at all.

And as for Fox, do you really have to move Hamilton to make room for Fox? No, you don't. You have to move a right sider, but why Hamilton? Especially when you don't know how Fox's transition is even going to go. Faulk? Fine. TVR? Not playing not the ride side, but sure. Maybe Pesce? OK ... but I don't see the urgency on that, at least not just for Fox's sake. Hamilton is a valuable asset and sooner or later this club has to start being serious about player value outside of their one or two "face of the franchise" guys.

Bottom line ... it's about cost and value with Ferland. You aren't going to get better without spending money, whether that's on new, better, more expensive players or by paying the good players you already have on the roster a market rate. I'm with Kahuna here ... if you dump Ferland over nothing more than money then you're not serious about owning and operating an NHL franchise.

This is all going to be very telling about the direction of this franchise. You have to pay good players good money to keep them. If you choose not to do that, you are going to have a pile of kids and crappy players. I wouldn't pay Ferland $5 million per either, but his market value is definitely at least $4.5 million for at least 4 seasons assuming he puts up 20 goals (pace) again. You are not going to be able to keep him for less than that. Considering the assets we traded away to get Hamilton and Ferland, to turn around and dump them in another trade, unless there is big value coming back (which there won't be) would be really stupid.

That type of approach is the Whalers all over again...trade valuable assets for good veteran players, then trade those good veteran players away soon after for lesser players and young assets. Guess what happens with that cycle? You suck, every single year....

Hopefully that is just insurance if someone is unable to go tonight.

Its about $1,250 cheaper per day to have Renouf on the roster than Fleury if you are interested in pinching pennies. We also guaranteed Renouf a minimum of $100k this year (his AHL salary is $70k) so having him as our non-playing 7th dman for a little bit actually helps the Canes save more than just the difference between his salary and Fleury's salary as we would have had to pay Renouf an extra $30k if he was in the minors all season. Renouf also isn't afraid to throw mitts if he somehow ends up in the lineup.

Hopefully this is just about having a body available just in case and allowing Fleury to focus on practicing with the Checkers since as a prospect he has more potential than someone like Renouf and is not really about squeezing out savings of $1,250 a day and minimizing the 'extra' payout to Renouf that would have been due if he was in the minors all season.

Hopefully that is just insurance if someone is unable to go tonight.

Its about $1,250 cheaper per day to have Renouf on the roster than Fleury if you are interested in pinching pennies. We also guaranteed Renouf a minimum of $100k this year (his AHL salary is $70k) so having him as our non-playing 7th dman for a little bit actually helps the Canes save more than just the difference between his salary and Fleury's salary as we would have had to pay Renouf an extra $30k if he was in the minors all season. Renouf also isn't afraid to throw mitts if he somehow ends up in the lineup.

Hopefully this is just about having a body available just in case and allowing Fleury to focus on practicing with the Checkers since as a prospect he has more potential than someone like Renouf and is not really about squeezing out savings of $1,250 a day and minimizing the 'extra' payout to Renouf that would have been due if he was in the minors all season.

Also, I think Fleury has only just recently gotten back in the lineup in Charlotte. I'll note again that both Pesce and TVR have missed shifts after getting hit in recent games. They're both playing through issues.

The timing has me a bit confused. If they just wanted an insurance dman, they could have had him fly directly to Long Island right after the Checkers game in Toronto on Sunday, instead of calling him up on game day, with no opportunity to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's apparently going to expand later on his comments about the market and the arena. This version gave us not much in the form of new information.

I had the same thought. This is a pretty big tease to be left unanswered for any length of time.

I had the same thought. This is a pretty big tease to be left unanswered for any length of time.

By the same token, she only gets what she gets. Dundon has stuck to his "new millennium businessman" brand pretty tight. I doubt he strayed too far into candorville. All owners have their archetypes after all. Dundon's trying to be modern and forward-thinking guy. Karmanos was more like "drunk Uncle at Christmas."

All I care about is whether or not you're willing to spend enough money to compete.

The Wolfpack used Dundon's new video projection system for the game against Carolina tonight; my guess is we'll see its first use for the Canes against the Slugs on Friday night.

The Wolfpack used Dundon's new video projection system for the game against Carolina tonight; my guess is we'll see its first use for the Canes against the Slugs on Friday night.

Luke said it was used for the Whalers game. I wasn’t there, someone confirm?

Yes, it was used for the Whalers game. That is the only time I've seen it used for hockey so far. They projected the Whalers logo and some of the video they were showing on the screen. In fact the N&O has a picture up right now of the logo projection from that here:

https://www.newsobserver.com/latest...4081305/alternates/LANDSCAPE_960/IMG_1876.JPG

I saw a video of what they did tonight for the basketball game...its pretty cool to see it in action.

Luke said it was used for the Whalers game. I wasn’t there, someone confirm?

Ahhh...I didn't realize that. I wasn't at that one, but I've been to two games since, where it wasn't used. I would have thought the plan would be to use it for every game, but maybe they're not fully up-to-speed with the system yet.

Umm ... it's the ARENA's video projection system. Dundon didn't pay for it. Everybody did.

And one of State's facilities guys told me that the system was still being shaken out when the Canes used it for that one game. It was kind of a test run and the installers were still tweaking it for a couple more weeks. It looked pretty awesome last night.

Back