• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Game Thread for 2023-2024

Ed H in Pasadena

I'm back! Excited about this upcoming season, but also a fair amount of trepidation. Erik Karlsson was a big swing. Will it be worth it? I sure hope so.
The problem is, even with the "big three" back, it's an aging group and I'm not sure what kind of "kick" they'll have for the stretch run. And our goaltening situation is less than ideal, to put it mildly. Not sure we'll ever get a deep Cup run from Jarry. Just has those moments during the season (and in recent years, the playoffs barring last year's playoff-less season) when I'm left shaking my head. And the backups are iffy at best with Nedeljkovic and Hellberg waiting in the wings. By the time their top GK prospect, Joel Blomqvist, reaches the NHL, we may have seen the last of The Big 3.
Still, hope springs eternal in pre-season, right? So bring it on!

The season opener is tomorrow (10.10) vs the Chicago Blackhawks. Since I've not seen him play I'm eager to see and learn about the hype surrounding the Black Hawks #1 overall pick, Connor Bedard. Game is the second of three on ESPN/ESPN+

Stop me if you've heard this one before: the Penguins had a 2-0 lead in the second, a 2-1 lead after two periods, and lost the game 4-2. Jason Mrazek stopped 38 of 40 shots (including several top quality ones) and ... well, this was a too frequent story last year.
Here we go again? 😕

Before tonight's game vs the Detroit Red Wings, I should point out the Pens won their second and third games of the season. They shut out the Caps in Washington on Friday, 4-0 behind two Sidney Crosby goals and a goal and 3 assists by Geno Malkin. Then in the Burgh the next night, they beat the Calgary Flames 5-2 by scoring five goals in the third period to overcome a 1-0 deficit. Bryan Rust scored twice while Malkin added another goal and an assist. And Alex Nedeljkovic made his Pens debut in goal with 33 saves on 35 Flames shots.

Since the last post, the following results
Red Wings 6, Penguins 3 (!)
Blues 4, Penguins 2
Stars 4, Penguins 1 (3 losses in a row)
Penguins 4, Avalanche 0 (!)
Senators 5, Penguins 2 (!)

What the heck? Three losses in a row where they looked poor (14 goals conceded). Then they shut out the mighty Avalanche at home, only to lay an egg the next game and ship 5 more vs. the Senators. Jarry has started poorly, too, which isn't helping. Hoping they can right the ship soon.

Pens lose to the Ducks, 4-3 at home on October 30th. Since then, four wins from four.
10-2 over San Jose
2-0 over the Ducks in the return match.
4-3 over the Kings in OT
and a 4-0 shutout win over Buffalo yesterday.

Somehow, Tristan Jarry has three shutouts to lead the league thus far, despite his overall poor performance. Go figure.

Back