• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #11: OCT 22, 7:00, TSN - Leafs @ Bruins

Zero softies?? I think not.

This from the person who says Andersen is praised for no reason and goalies get undeserved love in Toronto?? You’re standing up for this awful, awful goalie? I cringed over and over, every time he touched the puck. Atrocious. They absolutely have to dump him.

He was the biggest reason we were thoroughly outplayed.

..or was it the team in front of him having skated in 5 games in 8 days including 2 back-to-back situations?

This was Hutch's best game, and the only reason it wasn't a total blowout.

I’m stunned by these reactions. He literally gave the puck to them outright all night or dropped the puck in danger areas that put our guys in terrible positions. He was giving up dangerous rebounds. He can’t catch the damn puck, it popped out of his glove every time, including on the backbreaking fourth goal as we were trying to tie it. He has no structure in his play, he flops around on every shot and doesn’t stand tall. I can’t remember being so frustrated by a goalie. They also hit several posts and failed to convert on some nice plays, and had a goal called back. The team clearly had zero confidence playing in front of him. The score was extremely flattering to him. Extremely.

19-20: 5v5: 54.0cf%, 50.4xgf%, 9.3sh%, .901sv% ---- PP 8.53gf/60, 14.3sh% --- PK 6.77ga/60, 87.5sv%
18-19: 5v5: 52.0cf%, 51.7xgf%, 9.7sh%, .920sv% ---- PP 7.63gf/60, 12.3sh% --- PK 6.86ga/60, 85.9sv%

In this small sample, I would guess that cf% (i.e. that the leafs have been significantly better) is more reliable than xgf% (slightly worse), especially with some early season scoring chance measurement issues this year, but maybe it's not. We'll see.

the biggest difference is definitely in the goaltending at 5v5, though.

8th last in PDO
3rd in CF%

Yeah I'll wait and see before passing judgement. Looks like below average goaltending and bad luck to me.

Once the goaltending bounces back along with the addition of Dermott and Hyman we will be ok

no reason to assume Freddie doesn't slot in somewhere around his career norm of .918. he's a notoriously slow starter too.

Yeah, I'm not really concerned about Freddie. Regular season Freddie, anyway.

He's eventually going to have a couple of his lengthy hot streaks and some more cold streaks, and in the end it'll average out over the course of the entire season to the "average to slightly above-average" NHL starting goaltending we usually get from him.

The play from our top skaters so far this year is far more concerning to me.

Gravel has that "you just can't move him" kind of size/balance.

And he handles the puck like a rock too.
He is shit .... seriously.
Bring up the kids .... better to lose with them learning than to give crap like gravel any other icetime up here

I think it's probably better for Sandin's development to be playing ~25+ mpg in all situations with the Marlies than to be playing ~12 mpg in a sheltered role here.

And hey, at least it's not Harpur

Do all teams get roughly the same amount of back to backs? This tough start could mean gravy later on.

...and yes this schedule does have something to do with it, though I think the next biggest thing is all the new faces.

There are some warts though, but I think things will be looking so much better by the end of November people will wonder what they were panicking about.

Back