• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #48: JAN 16 2020 7:00 - Leafs v Flames

zeke

We dominated this team last time out until we let off the gas in the third and got burnt. Keep the pedal down tonight and this should be a win, even with unsteady freddy in net.

One thing I'm looking for is for some chemistry to start developing on that 3rd line with AJ-Kerfoot-Kappy now that AJ has had a couple games back in. That line should work very well - they have shooters and passers, are maybe the fastest line in hockey, with grit as well. Really, that would be a good 2nd line on many (most?) teams, so they really should feast as a 3rd line. And the better they work together the easier it is to leave Engvall on the Tavares line where I think he might absolutely explode. So yeah, hope this trio gets going a bit.

I'm sure the talking heads are babbling about tkachuk's grittiness and how the leafs need to have someone take care of him like Kassian did but they are morons and the leafs will just ignore him.

P.S. Jankowski may not even be as good as Gauthier.

20200116_122321.jpg

yeah the Kadri trade has its warts, but I still don't think we'd be better off with Brodie and Janko instead.

Yeah, we dodged a bullet when Kadri nixed that trade.

Brodie is just a "meh" defenseman, and Jankowski hasn't even been an NHL-calibre player this year.

Kadri trade takes are funny to me. The entire avalanche team is finally getting their expected oish% correction and we're midseason and Kadri is only at a ~50pt pace even with full top unit PP time on one of the best PPs in the league, and that pace is steadily dropping, with poor metrics at even strength to boot.

Meanwhile Barrie is at a 60pt pace under Keefe with great metrics, while Kerfoot is only a hair behind Kadri in even strength production despite that awful slump he had coming back from injury.

Kadri trade takes are funny to me. The entire avalanche team is finally getting their expected oish% correction and we're midseason and Kadri is only at a ~50pt pace even with full top unit PP time on one of the best PPs in the league, and that pace is steadily dropping, with poor metrics at even strength to boot.

Meanwhile Barrie is at a 60pt pace under Keefe with great metrics, while Kerfoot is only a hair behind Kadri in even strength production despite that awful slump he had coming back from injury.

Yeah, the Kerfoot/Barrie for Kadri trade is fine. Beyond the fact that it would've been insane to head into yet another first round matchup with Boston with Kadri still on this team, it seems pretty clear that he's sliding into decline. As an added bonus, Calle Rosen doesn't appear to be an NHLer either.

On our end, Barrie is by no means a perfect fit for our needs, but managing to add a defenseman of his calibre when we were jammed up so tight against the cap this year was some cap magic. And Kerfoot appears to be a Johnsson/Kapanen-calibre player.

I like Kerfoot better than Kadri going forward. He’s younger and cheaper, and he’s a speed demon with some skill and a lot of hustle. And probably not a guy who will board someone in the playoffs when we’re winning a series.

Barrie is just a winger who plays back once in a while. Definitely not worth what it’d cost to retain him, not when a Pietrangelo might be available and ready to sign for a couple mil more.

bf9.gif

The Kadri trade was great work by Dubas. Kerfoot looks like a new man after getting rid of the facial appliance.

5on5 P/60

Kerfoot: 1.68
Kadri: 2.08

Since Keefe

Kadri: 1.84
Kerfoot: 1.83

Kerfoot is younger, faster, cheaper and provides a bit less, but similar offensive punch on the 3rd line. Straight up 1 for 1 this wouldn't have been a terrible trade (considering how Naz has left the playoffs two years running and all....something a lot of twunts seem to forget in their analysis now). Adding Barrie into the mix, even if it's just for the year, makes this a pretty good trade for us and one that will likely get better as Naz's skating probably won't aid him in aging well.

Back