• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

UEFA World Cup Qualifying

Italy's strikers had been a problem throughout qualifying (only Immobile scored more than one goal). What's particularly astonishing about this is it was only six months ago that their three-year unbeaten run was ended.

Italy's strikers had been a problem throughout qualifying (only Immobile scored more than one goal). What's particularly astonishing about this is it was only six months ago that their three-year unbeaten run was ended.
Oh ... also UEFA's stupid qualifying setup is an issue. I love an underdog and all, but there's no way Italy don't belong in the big tournament. The Euros prove that.

Oh ... also UEFA's stupid qualifying setup is an issue. I love an underdog and all, but there's no way Italy don't belong in the big tournament. The Euros prove that.
Not sure I like Africa's way of doing it, either. There's a distinct possibility that the AFCON champions won't make it, either, as they were drawn with their AFCON finals rivals. It's a two leg knockout competition but still: how don't both Egypt AND Senegal deserve to be there?

Not sure I like Africa's way of doing it, either. There's a distinct possibility that the AFCON champions won't make it, either, as they were drawn with their AFCON finals rivals. It's a two leg knockout competition but still: how don't both Egypt AND Senegal deserve to be there?
Nope. Both are screwed up in different ways. And look ... making CONCACAF look competent is hard work, but you can't say everybody doesn't get a fair shot.

Kieran Tierney will have surgery for a knee injury he picked up during the international break. He’ll miss the rest of Arsenal’s season and could also miss Scotland’s June playoff against Ukraine.

Kieran Tierney will have surgery for a knee injury he picked up during the international break. He’ll miss the rest of Arsenal’s season and could also miss Scotland’s June playoff against Ukraine.
On the one hand, that's a huge blow to Scotland. On the other hand, it sure makes tactics a heck of a lot more simple ... and trying to get forward play out of both Tierney and Robertson at the same time has caused Steve Clark to roll out some truly bizarre formations over the last couple of years.

Ukraine won that long delayed playoff match with Scotland 3-1 and they'll move on to face Wales in Cardiff on Sunday for the last UEFA slot in Qatar. As a Scotland supporter ... I couldn't possibly be upset with that outcome. Good on them and I hope they beat Wales like a drum.

Wales gets a 9 save Man of the Match performance from Wayne Hennessey and beats Ukraine 1-0 on an own goal by Yarmolenko off a Bale free kick. This is their first World Cup appearance since 1958. They get the US in the opening match on November 21.

I feel bad for Yarmalenko and Ukraine. Normally I'd be happy for Wales, but given everything ... meh.

Back