• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016-17 Premier League Thread

Weekend results

Man U 1 Arsenal 1
Sunderland 3 Hull 0
Watford 2 Leicester 1
Man City 2 Crystal Palace 1
Swansea 1 Everton 1
Bournemouth 1 Stoke 0
Southampton 0 Liverpool 0
Tottenham 3 West Ham 2
Chelsea 1 Middlesboro 0

A couple of draws at the top and look at that ... Chelsea are atop the table. Looks like Conte finally got them drilled enough to roll in with his 3 back system and start doing people defensively again. They not only are getting results, they look comfortable for the first time in awhile. Liverpool finally had a damp offensive showing and Man U showed the Arse that they aren't dead quite yet. Maybe the biggest shocker of the weekend was that City resurrected Yaya and actually got two goals out of him. That probably won a few prop bets this weekend.

I can't tell how I feel about Chelsea... on the one hand, I find them annoying, on the other hand, this just shows United fans that Jose really WAS the problem, and they got the wrong guy... hahaha.

Yeah ... to me Chelsea and Arsenal are always annoying, so their performance is irrelevant, more or less. I kind of hate their ownership and/or fan bases regardless of everything else.

Wrapping up the weekend...

Chelsea 2-1 Spurs
Hull 1-1 West Brom
Leicester 2-2 Middesbrough
Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland
Swansea 5-4 Crystal Palace
Burnley 1-2 Man City
Man U 1-1 West Ham
Southampton 1-0 Everton
Arsenal 3-1 Bournemouth
Watford 0-1 Stoke

Chelsea remain top and give Spurs their first loss of the season. Liverpool have lost Courinho for 6 weeks with an ankle injury. The Swansea/Palace match was just bananas. There were 5 goals in the last 15 minutes and stoppage time. Tomkins, an own goal and Benteke scored for Palace in a 9 minute span to turn a 3-1 deficit into a 4-3 lead. Then Llorente scored at 90+1 and 90+3 to give Swansea the win and Bob Bradley his first win. Mourinho was sent off again and Man U now have their worst start in the Premier League era, with 20 points from 13 games. Mourinho was also charged with improper conduct again. Arsenal are unbeaten in 19 matches across all competitions but remain in 4th, 3 points behind Chelsea and 2 behind Liverpool and Man City.

Match week 14 kicks off with a battle for the top of the table.

Saturday:
Man City v. Chelsea 7:30/12:30 NBCSN
Spurs v. Swansea 10:00/15:00 NBCSN
Crystal Palace v. Southampton CNBC
Stoke v. Burnley
Sunderland v. Leicester
West Brom v. Watford
West Ham v. Arsenal 12:30/17:30 NBC

Sunday:
Bournemouth v. Liverpool 8:30/13:30 NBCSN
Everton v. Man U 11:00/16:00 NBCSN

Monday:
Middlesbrough v. Hull 3:00/20:00 NBCSN

Somebody needs to explain to me how the Pereyra red card in the WBA v Watford game is a red card on Pereyra and not on McClean. I don't understand the logic that I've seen multiple times that if you're the clear aggressor in a situation, but keep your hands down by your side, you're perfectly fine. McLean shoots the ball at Pereyra while he's on the ground, kicks out at him while he's on the ground, stands over him and as Pereyra is trying to stand up, keeps pushing him down with his chest and then keeps shoving him down with his chest so Pereyra puts his hands on his stomach to keep him from continuing the aggression that he's been doing for the past ten seconds. The result of course, Pereyra gets a red and McLean just gets a yellow. They need to seriously look at how they interpret violent conduct, because so often the more physically aggressive person is not the one who is more severely punished.

Man City 1-3 Chelsea
Spurs 5-0 Swansea
Crystal Palace 3-0 Southampton
Stoke 2-0 Burnley
Sunderland 2-1 Leicester
West Brom 3-1 Watford

The City vs Chelsea game was a beaut. City should have scored 2 or 3 before Chelsea roared back in the 2nd half, missed chances cost them (De Bruyne had an open net for 5 yards and hit the bar).

Game ended with a dust up after Agüero went in knee high on David Luiz and got him self a red. Chalobah pushed Aguero over and probably could have gone as well. After that is was chaos but Fernandinho managed to get himself caught shoving Fabregas in the throat away from the crowd and got himself a red (didn't help that Cesc went arse over tit overs the advertising boarding).

I think we could see a few other players pick up cards of various colours when the league review the video. Fabregas slapped Fernandinho, Chalobahs push and I am sure I saw another player throw a punch/slap that connected.

West Ham 1-5 Arsenal

I think the FA discipline office will be busy this week. Aguero and Fernandinho got what they deserved. Aguero will miss 4 matches because it's his 2nd suspension of the year. Fernandinho will miss 3. Otamendi will miss next week's match for accumulated yellows. I didn't see Fabregas slap Fernandinho, neither did Steve Bower or Graham LeSaux because they were wondering why Fernandinho went off like he did. Chalobah probably gets a red.

Everton 1 - 1 Man Utd
Bournemouth 4-3 Liverpool

Its becoming increasingly clear that the league winners are probably going to be the team that defends the least worst.

None of the title contenders have a defence that gives any confidence that they wont wilt under some pressure. Chelsea had a good run after going to 3 at the back but even they have looked shaky at times in the last few weeks when Spurs and Man City figured out that playing in the channels behind the wingback might be a good idea.

Klopp was very gracious in defeat but he had to be gutted, watching his squad give up 3 goals in the last 20 minutes.

Wrapping up the weekend...

Middlesbrough 1-0 Hull

All of the good feelings that Hull generated by winning their first two has gone down the drain, with only a win and 2 draws since then. They're tied with Sunderland for 18th, trailing by 8 goals (with a league worst -18 GD).

Its becoming increasingly clear that the league winners are probably going to be the team that defends the least worst.

Agreed. The team that can develop some honest consistency in the back and turn it into the best record against the other contenders is going to nip away with this one. Who that might end up being, I have no clue right now. I suspect Arsenal but they'll probably either get too injured or have a weird run of wastefulness sooner or later.

Agreed. The team that can develop some honest consistency in the back and turn it into the best record against the other contenders is going to nip away with this one. Who that might end up being, I have no clue right now. I suspect Arsenal but they'll probably either get too injured or have a weird run of wastefulness sooner or later.

Arsenal have been pretty stable at the back so far. Mustafi has stepped in well for Mertesacker, but they're missing Bellerin in a big way. They've been using Gabriel, a center back at right fullback the last few matches, with Carl Jenkinson still working back from 2 bad injuries.

Match day 15, followed by midweek matches on Tuesday and Wednesday

Saturday:
Watford v. Everton 7:30/12:30 NBCSN
Arsenal v. Stoke 10:00/15:00 NBCSN
Swansea v. Sunderland CNBC
Burnley v. Bournemouth
Hull v. Crystal Palace
Leicester v. Man City 12:30/17:30 NBC

Sunday:
Chelsea v. West Brom 7:00/12:00 NBCSN
Man U v. Spurs 9:15/13:15 NBCSN
Southampton v. Middlesbrough
Liverpool v. West Ham 11:30/16:30 NBCSN

Swansea are entering the portion of their schedule were Bradley can actually make some headway ... IF he's got the players to do so. Their ownership gave him a public show of long term support this week in that face of mounting pressure from their fans.

Leicester could get off the schneid too. Man City will be without Aguero, Otamendi and Fernandinho. Leicester got spanked by Porto on Wednesday but they started a bunch of nobodies.

Arsenal 3-1 Stoke City
Burnley 3-2 Bournemouth
Hull City 3-3 Crystal Palace
Swansea City 3-0 Sunderland
Watford 3-2 Everton

All 5 home teams got 3 goals today.

Leicester screwed up the run

Leicester 4-2 Man City

For those counting at home, that's 29 goals from 6 games at as near as damn 5 goals per game. This is why we love the EPL folks.

Back