• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016 NHL Entry Draft

GGpX

Despite what Count & some others might believe, it's never too early to start talking about the upcoming draft.

The #1 pick is going to be Auston Matthews, who arguably could have gone #2 in the 2015 draft if he was born two days earlier. Unless there's a major collapse or Jakob Chychrun just looks like a world beater, I would be very surprised if he didn't go #1.

Today, one of the more overrated prospects in recent memory, Sean Day, the big lanky defenseman who was given Exceptional Status for the 2013 OHL draft and has been able to outskate anyone he's played against his whole life but lacks hockey IQ, was cut from Team Canada's U18 team that's headed to the Ivan Hlinka tournament. I don't think he'll be a first round pick when the draft comes around.

Pre-season rankings from FC:

Code:
(2014-2015 stats)
1 	Auston Matthews (C) 		U.S. National U18 Team 	USDP 	60 	55 	61 	116 	30 
2 	Jakob Chychrun (D) 		Sarnia Sting 		OHL 	42 	16 	17 	33 	37 
3 	Jesse Puljujärvi (RW) 		Kärpät 			Liiga 	21 	4 	7 	11 	10 
4 	Matthew Tkachuk (LW) 		U.S. National U18 Team 	USDP 	65 	38 	58 	96 	119 
5 	Max Jones (LW) 			U.S. National U17 Team 	USDP 	38 	18 	10 	28 	189 
6 	Chad Krys (D) 			U.S. National U17 Team 	USDP 	41 	3 	26 	29 	22 
7 	Tyler Benson (LW) 		Vancouver Giants 	WHL 	62 	14 	31 	45 	55 
8 	Dmitri Sokolov (C/LW) 		Omskie Yastreby 	MHL 	29 	13 	3 	16 	4 
9 	Sam Steel (C) 			Regina Pats 		WHL 	61 	17 	37 	54 	16 
10 	Sean Day (D) 			Mississauga Steelheads 	OHL 	61 	10 	26 	36 	62 

11 	Logan Brown (C) 		Windsor Spitfires 	OHL 	56 	17 	26 	43 	20 
12 	Tyson Jost (C/LW) 		Penticton Vees 	BCHL 	46 	23 	22 	45 	16 
13 	Kale Clague (D) 		Brandon Wheat Kings 	WHL 	20 	4 	9 	13 	6 
14 	Alexander Nylander (RW/LW)	AIK J20 		S.Elit 	42 	15 	25 	40 	12 
15 	Patrik Laine (RW) 		Tappara 		Liiga 	6 	0 	1 	1 	2 
16 	Olli Juolevi (D) 		Jokerit U20 	Jr. A SM-liiga 	44 	6 	26 	32 	28 
17 	Kieffer Bellows (C) 		Sioux Falls Stampede 	USHL 	58 	33 	19 	52 	78 
18 	Rasmus Asplund (C/LW) 		Färjestad BK 		SHL 	35 	2 	1 	3 	4 
19 	Julien Gauthier (RW) 		Val-d'Or Foreurs 	QMJHL 	68 	38 	35 	73 	46 
20 	Dante Fabbro (D) 		Penticton Vees 	BCHL 	44 	4 	29 	33 	16 

21 	Jake Bean (D) 			Calgary Hitmen 		WHL 	51 	5 	34 	39 	2 
22 	Brett Howden (C) 		Moose Jaw Warriors 	WHL 	68 	22 	24 	46 	24 
23 	Clayton Keller (C) 		U.S. National U17 Team 	USDP 	45 	25 	34 	59 	24 
24 	Charlie McAvoy (D) 		U.S. National U18 Team 	USDP 	63 	7 	33 	40 	51 
25 	Ryan Lindgren (D) 		U.S. National U17 Team 	USDP 	55 	3 	16 	19 	85 
26 	Luke Green (D) 			Saint John Sea Dogs 	QMJHL 	60 	6 	30 	36 	23 
27 	Carl Grundström (LW) 		MODO Hockey J20 	S.Elit 	27 	21 	15 	36 	53 
28 	Pierre-Luc Dubois (LW) 		Cape Breton S. Eagles 	QMJHL 	54 	10 	35 	45 	58 
29 	Max Lajoie (D) 			Swift Current Broncos 	WHL 	72 	7 	33 	40 	22 
30 	Nick Pastujov (LW) 		U.S. National U17 Team 	USDP 	45 	13 	17 	30 	53

Last edited:
Agreed never too late for any draft .I saw Day about 6 times this year and not once came away with a wow factor, but still think he falls somewhere in round 1 .

How does round 1 compare to 2015 , as it looks like a top 2 horse and legit top 5.

I expect we would have been picking 30th next June but MB would have traded that away at the trade deadline for that final piece. I doubt we will have a 2nd rounder left to pick either.

2016 is projected to be another good draft and pretty top-heavy.

On top of Jakob Chychrun, there's a few notable names that are related to current or former NHLers: Max Jones is not Seth Jones' brother (Edit, my bad, mixed them up), Matthew Tkachuk is Keith Tkachuk's son and Kieffer Bellows is Brian Bellows' son. There's also Alexander Nylander, William Nylander's brother, both of which are the sons of Michael Nylander.

One of my favorites from this season is Julien Gauthier, a big power-forward type of a player.

Last edited:
Nice to see Will Bitten make the U18 team. Kid has a lot of skill. Hope he grows a bit this year and gets stronger...

Nice to see Will Bitten make the U18 team. Kid has a lot of skill. Hope he grows a bit this year and gets stronger...

Tkachuk seems to really be ripping it up at that US WJC Tourney in Lake Placid. Think he had 3g, 2a the other day. Gonna be fun to see him, Max Jones and Marner this year for London.

Think we're going to have a pretty high pick in this one.

On top of Jakob Chychrun, there's a few notable names that are related to current or former NHLers: Max Jones is Seth Jones' brother, Matthew Tkachuk is Keith Tkachuk's son and Kieffer Bellows is Brian Bellows' son. There's also Alexander Nylander, William Nylander's brother, both of which are the sons of Michael Nylander.

One of my favorites from this season is Julien Gauthier, a big power-forward type of a player.

Watched Gauthier play last night in the world junior showcase and man, can he move for a player his size. 17 year old with a good showing against players 2 and 3 years older than him

On top of Jakob Chychrun, there's a few notable names that are related to current or former NHLers: Max Jones is Seth Jones' brother, Matthew Tkachuk is Keith Tkachuk's son and Kieffer Bellows is Brian Bellows' son. There's also Alexander Nylander, William Nylander's brother, both of which are the sons of Michael Nylander.

Are you sure Max is his brother? He doesn't look like Popeye's kid...wasn't that Caleb, drafted by the oilers.

Bellows i had at 16 right now.

Gauthier i could see early 20s.

Still things are very early and very fluid at this point.

Hlinka is the next big thing for me to watch

Is this summer Junior camp thing a regular event every summer or is hockey in August a TSN creation? I just wonder if these kids ever get time off from the game because it seems like they cannot afford to turn down an invite or else they will be ostracized from future tournaments.

There's an annual camp, but it's the first time that there have been televised exhibition games.

And frankly, I don't mind at all. I've always wanted more hockey "friendlies" like they do in football between countries. Set up a an annual four game series between USA & Canada's U20s under some name and televise it.

There's an annual camp, but it's the first time that there have been televised exhibition games.

Yeah they have this camp every year.... usually involves scrimmages between team red and team white that get pretty intense, but they have also gone and played exhibition games vs the Americans, Finns, Swedes in Lake Placid before.

Last year they had the Russians and Czechs in for games in Brossard, but they weren't televised.

This isn't the first time they are televised though, there was a four game series with Russia in 2012 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of 1972, and there was a series with Russian in 2007 as well for the 25th anniversary that was televised.

And frankly, I don't mind at all. I've always wanted more hockey "friendlies" like they do in football between countries. Set up a an annual four game series between USA & Canada's U20s under some name and televise it.

I don't mind it either.

Back