• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Alex Galchenyuk's Off-Season Work

I believe the second buyout period starts in a couple of days.
Second buy out is only for teams who had plauers file for arbitration... and you must buyour within 72 hours of settlimg your final case.

Habs cannot buy out anyone.

Second buy out is only for teams who had plauers file for arbitration... and you must buyour within 72 hours of settlimg your final case.

Habs cannot buy out anyone.

Can we run over him with a truck?

P.S. I have nothing personally against DD but sometimes you need to Therrien-proof the team with drastic measures.

Last edited:
DD pretty much got 3rd lines minutes and linemates most of the season last year, no much issue there, but he got WAY too much PP time for his contribution. He was producing nothing on the PP and yet he was often out there on the first unit.

DD pretty much got 3rd lines minutes and linemates most of the season last year, no much issue there, but he got WAY too much PP time for his contribution. He was producing nothing on the PP and yet he was often out there on the first unit.
PpToi / game he was the 5th most used forward on the team.

I agree he got.too much but part of that (and a large part) was MB only having 4 legit scoring forwards. He likely doesnt get the pp time this year as radulov and shaw both will get pp minutes.

I blame MB more for dd getting pp.time than therrien

What's the case with Arizona and Vermette?
They had a bunch of arb hearings scheduled. They settled with connor murphy and another dman late last week.

(Sundays dont count in the 72 hours)

You dont actually have to proceed with an actual hearing (you can settle before the hearing as most teams do). You just need to have someone who at least filed for arbitration and got a scheduled hearing.

When can a team buyout a contract?

There are two different answers to this question.

The first is the most common - the regular buyout window. The start of this window shifts - it is either June 15th or 48 hours after the Cup is awarded, whichever is later. This window ends at 5pm EST on June 30th, just in time to let the dust settle before free agency starts.

The second is a window related to arbitration, and it carries some extra restrictions. For this window to open, the team has to have a player that filed for arbitration. This window opens on the third day after the team's last arbitration is concluded (or settled, if it doesn't make it to a hearing) and is open for 48 hours. There are also restrictions on which players can be bought out - First, the player has to have been on the reserve list as of the last trade deadline (so no buying out that off-season signing you regret until the next trade deadline). Second, there is a minimum cap value for a contract to be eligible for this - $2.75m AAV initially, but the value goes up based on the average league salary each year. The notable absence in those restrictions is that it has nothing to do with who went to arbitration, any player who meets those two restrictions can be bought out. There's one last catch, though - this can only be done three times by each team. Not three times per year - three times over the entire length of the current CBA.
The one exception to this extra window is when the only arbitration case is team-elected, and that player earned more than $1,750,000 (in 2013 dollars - it's adjusted up based on league average salary) in the previous season. In that specific case, the window does not open.

Was Vermette on the "reserve list"? Assume so, and with Stone & Murphy filing arbitration, Coyotes met arbitration related compliance buyout criteria.

Last edited:
Was Vermette on the "reserve list"? Assume so, and with Stone & Murphy filing arbitration, Coyotes met arbitration related compliance buyout criteria.

He was on the team for all of last season, so yes he would have been on the reserve list.

The reserve list is.... all players on the roster... all players in the 50 man contract list... all prospects that you have drafted and are retaining rights on... all RFAs that you retain rights on.

I heard that Statistically speaking he was one of the worst PP players in the NHL

I heard that Statistically speaking he was one of the worst PP players in the NHL

Even if true, it doesn't matter with this team. The Habs don't use stats when creating plans or formulating the lineup/positions.

This off-season proved again that this is an "eye-test" administration. As long as DD tries hard he will get more playing time than he deserves.

Phillip Danault will be the next Habs player to benefit from this philosophy.

Back