• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

Works for me

Yup ....maybe I would consider him if the team wasn't out of the playoffs so long ago .

Giving the award to Hall or Nate if their teams just sneak into the playoffs after their terrible season the year before is more logical .

I would give it to Brad Marchand. No one saw this coming with Boston, and in the true sense of the award, he would get my vote. Its just amazing how he finds the open ice. He has just gotten better and better with time....

Its also amazing how bad Edmonton is, with McDavid.

Can anyone here give me a credible argument that McDavid doesn't deserve the Hart this year?

Credible or not... players on teams that finish near the bottom of the league don't usually win the Hart. Not without running away with the scoring race.

Didn't make the playoffs.

Credible argument, I said.

The statistical differences when McDavid is on the ice compared to when he's off the ice are mind boggling.

A few quick ones I could find on twitter:

Put another way, here’s some MVP candidates and their teams’ respective points % when they do NOT have a point... Kopitar .477 Hall .444 Kucherov .441 Malkin .400 MacKinnon .368 McDavid .182

(From March 24th):

Connor McDavid has 77 even strength points. The next closest is Nathan MacKinnon with 62. It's the highest total since 2009/10 (Henrik Sedin, 82), and the only other player to hit 70 in the past five years is... McDavid, last year.

If the playoffs started today, Colorado would be out of the playoffs. Should MacKinnon not be considered then? If McDavid didn't exist, MacKinnon's the probable MVP. The two best candidates would be written off because their teams weren't good enough.

I would give it to Brad Marchand. No one saw this coming with Boston, and in the true sense of the award, he would get my vote. Its just amazing how he finds the open ice. He has just gotten better and better with time....

Its also amazing how bad Edmonton is, with McDavid.

I agree with Marchard unfortunately.

With that said; McDavid is incredible. Nothing compares to him. Nothing.

He is a generational freak for sure . Glad he is playing for a Canadian team .

He will regret hockey wise signing long term with the Oilers as his career will be full of a great personal achievements but won't be for team achievements.

McDavid is good enough to make the Oilers good on his own. He did it last season.

The Oilers will have runs. They have like a 10 year window with McDavid.

They are in much better shape than Montreal.

Didn't make the playoffs.
On its own, I don't think this should be enough to disqualify a player from winning the Hart.

For example, if Colorado ends up missing the playoffs by one point on the final day of the season, I still think Nathan MacKinnon deserves serious consideration.

But the difference there is that MacKinnon has been playing meaningful games all season, and MacKinnon is the main driver behind that. When was the last time McDavid played a game where the outcome actually meant something for his team? McDavid's essentially been playing no-pressure, garbage-time hockey for four months now.

McDavid is good enough to make the Oilers good on his own. He did it last season.

The Oilers will have runs. They have like a 10 year window with McDavid.

They are in much better shape than Montreal.

Exactly , they will have the best 1-2C punch for the next decade thats half your battle .

Yamamoto will probably step in next year . If they can draft a Wahlstrom he can fit on that top 6 .

Last year everything went right , this year everything went wrong.

The D isnt that bad it had a terrible off year this year .

Talbot has to bounce back next year , he was brutal this year .

I will take CMD and Leon on an AHL team any day off the week over what we have moving forward

Exactly , they will have the best 1-2C punch for the next decade thats half your battle .

Yamamoto will probably step in next year . If they can draft a Wahlstrom he can fit on that top 6 .

I will take CMD and Leon on an AHL team any day off the week over what we have moving forward

Not sure where you and the other guy got the impression I was stating I would rather have what we have than 97. That is a total strawman. At the end of the day, this will be 2 of 3 years where his team is not in the post season. He clearly is not able to do it on his own as no player is able to do. He is likely the best player in the world right now, but unless the Oilers actually start to get better, their cap is not going to be easy to manage when both 97 and Draisaitl eating up what 30% of it. They are still saddled with Quasimodo and his contract.

Well I hope they’d be in better shape than the Habs and 75% of teams in the league with the amount of top five picks including first overalls they’ve had the last decade.

It’s actually pretty pathetic Where they are as an organization at the moment considering the amount of very good draft positions they have had.

Since 2007

Four 1st overall
One 3rd overall
One 4rth overall
One 6th overall
One 7th overall
One 10th overall

We Habs fans would throw a parade just to get one first overall

Last edited:

Not sure where you and the other guy got the impression I was stating I would rather have what we have than 97. That is a total strawman. At the end of the day, this will be 2 of 3 years where his team is not in the post season. He clearly is not able to do it on his own as no player is able to do. He is likely the best player in the world right now, but unless the Oilers actually start to get better, their cap is not going to be easy to manage when both 97 and Draisaitl eating up what 30% of it. They are still saddled with Quasimodo and his contract.

Never gave that impression at all . Simply put when you have 2 stud centers you can turn a Sheary, Guenzal , Rust etc... into good players .

Thy missed 2 of 3 so did we but I will take their situation over ours.

Well I hope they’d be in better shape than the Habs and 75% of teams in the league with the amount of top five picks including first overalls they’ve had the last decade.

It’s actually pretty pathetic how thin they are on top six talent at the moment considering the amount of very good draft positions they have had.

The mistake those clowns made was 1 or 2 of those drafts they should of traded the pick for assets or moved down . You cant fkup the Yakopov pick while others are contributing . Team drafted too much of the same finesse player .

Never gave that impression at all . Simply put when you have 2 stud centers you can turn a Sheary, Guenzal , Rust etc... into good players .

Thy missed 2 of 3 so did we but I will take their situation over ours.

except I was making no comparison, and given they have made the playoffs once since 2006, it is no surprise they are in a better situation, but of course, their results are no better.

The mistake those clowns made was 1 or 2 of those drafts they should of traded the pick for assets or moved down . You cant fkup the Yakopov pick while others are contributing . Team drafted too much of the same finesse player .

Which is why we can glorify CNM but let’s not glorify the Oilers in any way because they are a poorly run hockey team

so are we without CMD or Leon

True, but not really fair to compare the Oilers situation to the Habs situation or any teams situation when you have had the following picks since 2007

Four 1st overall
One 3rd overall
One 4rth overall
One 6th overall
One 7th overall
One 10th overall

No team in the NHL has had those opportunities

Back