• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes sold.

Re: Letter of Intent to Purchase Canes

Deeper pockets, probably guaranteed.... Deep? We'll see. Still, a good day to be a Caniac.

Meh... big picture, friend. We're all hoping Mr. NewGuy with the deep pockets will help fix all those other problems, yes?

Yep. When they're being fixed, THEN it will be a good day.
No. it's actually a good day because this was the first thing that needed to happen for there to be any chance of other things improving..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

there have been new owners that cleaned house axing coach and GM on day one. But that was during the offseason.

I'd expect a year or so before anything really changes.

The beauty of Dundon being the majority owner means he is going to want to put his own stamp on the team at some point. That may not be right away, but at some point between now and the summer, he is going to make some widespread changes.

The unfortunate part for Canes fans will be listening to and reading all the chatter from the naysayers and critics of this team around the NHL in the next several months saying this simply on the surface just looks like a Texas guy buying into the team with an eventual move to Houston in the cards down the road.

The most effective immediate, NEEDED change at this point is behind the bench. What real coaches are currently unemployed out there? Would be nice to get a proven coach, a la Babcock. Like him or not - or his type of coach (Torterella) they usually ice winning teams.

And the problem with Dundon is that he is not a hockey guy and I've seen nothing that indicates he know much about hockey at all. That prob'ly means PK will still be calling the shots and making the decisions as TD defers to his experience until he learns enough tp put his own stamp on the team. It also means PK would be playing with house money in continuing to influence TD on decisions. Maybe that's not all a bad thing...

Does this mean PK is buying out the minority ownership group? What is their % again?

My guy showed his face at lunchtime. Looks like the minority partners will be bought out, or at least have the opportunity to be bought out. They all had buyout provisions in their partnership agreements. I think they'll probably choose to bail since PK isn't going anywhere. That's my own guess, but apparently none of them feel all that great about how this deal has worked out for the minority partners. A decent chunk of them bailed a couple of years ago when the first jump-off point in their agreements came up.

I think the overall percentage is less than 10% at this point.

And the problem with Dundon is that he is not a hockey guy and I've seen nothing that indicates he know much about hockey at all. That prob'ly means PK will still be calling the shots and making the decisions as TD defers to his experience until he learns enough tp put his own stamp on the team. It also means PK would be playing with house money in continuing to influence TD on decisions. Maybe that's not all a bad thing...

Either that or he'll be a hands off guy and let Francis do his business. I don't think he'd want to be the majority owner and defer to his minority partner.

I agree on both counts. For all his warts, Pete knows hockey. He just never had enough money to do it right at the NHL level and he was erratic and ego-driven with his spending when he did have some leveraged cash to spend. I'd MUCH rather see a clean sweep, but if that results in some detached owner who only cares about the bottom line and sees this as an investment against a big payoff in a future sale calling all the shots ... meh. Who needs that?

I'd like to see Waddell's useless carcass chucked out the door rather quickly and for somebody somewhere to give Francis a cold, hard, realistic evaluation. Start there rather than on the ice or behind the bench, at least for now.

if you look around pro sports now , owners are big money guys and not always connected to the sport before they buy.

There are not that many guys like Jordan who can buy a pro team being a former player. And his track record with winning as an owner is pretty bad.

If I were buying the canes, I'd be looking at their dismal record over the last umpteen years and saying this is not going to continue. I'd hire someone at a senior hockey level to be president and give him a clean slate.

Pierre LeBrun just tweeted that Bettman told the media that the deal is signed.

^^^^^^HALLELUYA (sp?)

Either that or he'll be a hands off guy and let Francis do his business. I don't think he'd want to be the majority owner and defer to his minority partner.

I was thinking more that TD would use PK's experience in making decisions and learning from him and others, including RF. And I agree that Waddell should be retired.

Last edited:

If I were buying the canes, I'd be looking at their dismal record over the last umpteen years and saying this is not going to continue. I'd hire someone at a senior hockey level to be president and give him a clean slate.
I think this is pretty likely. why would you spend all that money only to have the minority owner control things. I think you'd want to know what you had. also heard there is an option for him to buy PK out in 2 years. I'd meet with RF and coaches and see what I thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That would be great if it ever came to pass here. A respected and very solid guy like John Davidson that was hired in Columbus is a perfect example of that working well.

Back