• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2023-24 Season

I expect some improvement next year. So much hinges on health.

I expect Slaf and Caufield to improve and Suzuki to be in the point per game range.

Really curious how we handle the back end. WIll Hutson play a full season in AHL, what about Rienbacher? We need to leverage some defense and picks for help up front.

I am not expecting a playoff spot but in the mix for wildcard first 40 with a slow fade to 10-15 overall dsraft pick

“… not at the expense of compromising the long term plan…”

That can be weasel worded any number of ways. If they trade for a top 6 player, who is immediately productive for 5+ years, then that trade does not “compromise the long term plan.” It will be expensive, but still long term in perspective.

So I take it they not going the Detroit route. No 30 year olds for a pointless sugar high.

I expect Slaf and Caufield to improve and Suzuki to be in the point per game range.

Really curious how we handle the back end. WIll Hutson play a full season in AHL, what about Rienbacher? We need to leverage some defense and picks for help up front.

I am not expecting a playoff spot but in the mix for wildcard first 40 with a slow fade to 10-15 overall dsraft pick

Yeah, if we can convert that -53 goal differential to -15ish and several OTLs to Ws, then we could be in that mushy middle fighting for the wildcard spot.

We really need Dach to play ~ 80 games.

That can be weasel worded any number of ways. If they trade for a top 6 player, who is immediately productive for 5+ years, then that trade does not “compromise the long term plan.” It will be expensive, but still long term in perspective.

So I take it they not going the Detroit route. No 30 year olds for a pointless sugar high.
Exactly. Any trade for an established player has to be for one young enough to fit into the timeline HuGo has envisioned. That's why you can make a case for getting a guy like Zegras (23 years old) but can't make any case for acquiring Marchessault (33 years old)

I don't think Hutson will play at all in the AHL (maybe a few games here and there but that's it).

And it absolutely is, since Hughes followed that up by citing the example IF they were to sign a veteran RDman to 3-4 year deal that could create a roadblock for Mailloux, Redenbacher’s progression.

I find it interesting Gorton emphasized a few times how he’s hearing players are more open to signing in Mtl due to MSLs presence…

Would throwing a boat load of $$ at Stamkos on a 2-year deal constitute “compromising long term plan”? Moreso given the F they draft will not be available for likely 1-2 years? Exception of Celebrini ..

34 years old… eh. I dunno.

It would have an impact, and two years seems ok. But then what? Cycle through aging superstars on short deals?

Back