• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Laine v Matthews

I'll only be really pissed if we drop to 4th and/or someone I don't like wins Matthews. Not because I hate Dubois/Tkachuk/whoever, but because goddamnit we deserve a top top pick here after the shitshow of the last two seasons. I mean ****. we gotta get one of the top 3 picks at minimum. Things have been mostly coming up roses in the brief Shanahan era and you know what? It does feel a little different this time. Maybe that streak keeps going here.

Laine or Pulju are guys we'd probably be thrilled to grab in most draft years. I wouldn't be too upset if we got one of those guys...but tbh Laine is the only guy I'd be truly happy with if things don't bounce our way on Matthews.

I would also like to see us try and be aggressive on the draft floor this year. It would be nice to move up from the Pittsburgh pick into the low teens or even the top 10 if possible, especially if we do go down to 4 with our own choice. If we could get into say the 8-12 region somewhere I feel like we could grab another really good player, and we have a plethora of picks/prospects to make such a deal.

I'd like to see the draft lottery rules changed a bit so if the last place team does not win each lottery, they get the remaining balls from the team that won. For example if Edmonton wins the first pick overall, and they have a 13.5% chance of winning (compared to the Leafs 20%), the leafs would get a a 33.5% chance at the second lottery. The same could be done for the second lottery with the next worst team - eg. if the Leafs win the first pick overall, the next team (Edmonton this year) would get a 33.5% chance to win the second lottery.

I'd like to see the draft lottery rules changed a bit so if the last place team does not win each lottery, they get the remaining balls from the team that won. For example if Edmonton wins the first pick overall, and they have a 13.5% chance of winning (compared to the Leafs 20%), the leafs would get a a 33.5% chance at the second lottery. The same could be done for the second lottery with the next worst team - eg. if the Leafs win the first pick overall, the next team (Edmonton this year) would get a 33.5% chance to win the second lottery.

I like this idea.

My head tells me that were we to win the lottery, we should pick Matthews.

For some reason, my gut instinct is to go Laine. I don't know why.

Matthews is the right guy.

Some people may have a problem with having too many Americans on our team (lol) but other than that, I can't think of a reason not to pick him.

And Laine would be a VERY nice consolidation prize. I think Laine > Eichel too.

People are overthinking this shit.

Pick 1st, take matthews, walk away laughing.

There's always a few idiots who have to try to be the smartest guy in the room. We saw the same thing last year in the run up to the draft when there were scouts who still thought Eichel should go 1st.

Matthews is the right guy.

Some people may have a problem with having too many Americans on our team (lol) but other than that, I can't think of a reason not to pick him.

And Laine would be a VERY nice consolidation prize. I think Laine > Eichel too.

I don't know about that. Eichel is a very gifted prospect in his own right. Laine mitigated some of the concerns about his offensive production (which was good, but not great) with a hot finish and dominant playoffs, but he's probably in the Barkov range (which is still ****ing awesome) as a pre draft prospect. Pre draft Eichel was a step better than that imo.

My head tells me that were we to win the lottery, we should pick Matthews.

For some reason, my gut instinct is to go Laine. I don't know why.

Me too. Watching them both during the WJC, and seeing other highlights, it just seems like Laine has more potential to dominate.

I don't know about that. Eichel is a very gifted prospect in his own right. Laine mitigated some of the concerns about his offensive production (which was good, but not great) with a hot finish and dominant playoffs, but he's probably in the Barkov range (which is still ****ing awesome) as a pre draft prospect. Pre draft Eichel was a step better than that imo.

finnish fans seem to love laine even more than they loved barkov, which was a lot.

Somethings changed in Zeke's tone of posting recently. Almost seems like its not the same Zeke. Welcome back. Hope to see you post here more.

Something about Laine though gives me that deep feeling if we pass on him he'll be a monster. I wouldn't be surprised if Laine was a better player over their career than Matthews. Laine looks like that Ovechkin/Jagr type that could be a freak for 15 years.

Laine doesn't skate well enough to be an Ovechkin, and doesn't have the vision of Jagr. He controls the puck along the boards like Jagr and can one time the puck like Ovechkin, but as monstrous as some of his tools are, there are others that hold him back currently from looking like an impending legend. Matthews though, I don't see those limitations. He does everything at a crazy high level.

Back