• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Re: Leafs' Prospect Discussion Thread!

Woll and Bracco named to US preliminary roster for WJC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Travis Dermott's finally ready to come back from injury, after being out since the end of October.

Some more details on the injury, which has been a bit of a mystery to this point:

uUXS4gW.png

Leipsic hurt tonight. Left and did not return after Utica scored the game tying steamed ham

Gauthier is probably no worse than Ben Smith and if Smith can hold down a spot on the 4th line, Gauthier can as well.

Biggest problem with Gauthier is he has about zero offensive instinct.

Otherwise he's a good checker, he's a good penalty killer, and he's cheap and young. I am not saying he's a sure bet NHLer, but he could be a PKer / 4th liner in the NHL

Are people still holding out hope for Gauthier?
I think his upside is that maybe he can be Dave Steckel, but with far less offensive skill.

Would a player like that be useful at the NHL level in this day and age? I dunno.

1 Patrick
2 Liljegren
3 Vilardi
4 Tippett
5 Rasmussen
6 Kostin
7 Vesalainen
8 Hirschier
9 Tolvanen
10 Hague
11 Foote
12 Middlestadt
13 Pettersson
14 Valimaki
15 Popugaev

ISS December

I still think he skates better than steckel but no I don't have any hope for goat.

I still think he skates better than steckel but no I don't have any hope for goat.
he skates better than Steckel, but then that isn't really saying much. I think *I* skate better than Steckel. :)

I think the goat's skating is good enough to play in the NHL. He has zero offensive ability, and if he fails to make the NHL that will be the reason why.

Then again when I look again at his draft ... it is a really SAD draft class, there's literally nothing outside of the top 6 or 7. So it's not like we missed on that pick.

still think it was a good pick. he just never progressed after draft day.

still think it was a good pick. he just never progressed after draft day.
I dunno. Looking back at the draft, it's tough to fault them much for the pick itself. Except for Shea Theodore (who despite being highly touted, still hasn't caught on as a full-time NHLer), I can't really see anyone picked soon after Goat that would have been much of an improvement as a prospect.

The only thing I'll always take exception to with that pick is Nonis standing up to the media afterwards and talking about how they figured Goat's upside was as a great "third line center" in the NHL. If you're using high picks to select forwards that your staff has projected as having a 3rd or 4th line ceiling, that's a ****ed up draft strategy.

Still think that quote was taken out of context. People read too much into things. IMO they saw 3rd line center as his floor, with the potential to be more than that.

Yeah I think 3rd line was more of the floor, and the quote actually specifically mentioned 2nd line Hanzal type upside. Which imo was reasonable based on his draft year production.

And really, while a 3rd line center at that stage in the draft isn't bad, a slight uptick in progression that makes him a top 6 center would have been a real coupe - and this is exactly what they based their pick on (obviously.. don't let a couple quotes fool you). A 6'5 mammoth top 6 center would have been quite nice. He simply didn't pan out. Maybe that was a scouting thing.. Maybe Hunts would not have taken him at that stage. But theoretically, I very much understand the rationale of taking a 6'5 mammoth center with solid junior stats and strong skating.

I don't think I blame anyone for thinking he had some potential after that near PPG draft year... but then he followed it up with a near PPG post draft year... and a near PPG draft + 2 year...

and there were STILL people here claiming he was going to be a 40-50 pt middle 6 forward and bashing anyone who disagreed.

Of course as someone pointed out, there's really not that many guys after him that are doing anything that impressive. I'd probably take Burakovsky or Theodore but not going to lose sleep over it.

I think from the get-go they didn't have very high hope on him turning into a top 6 C, I guess maybe Nonis was just a tad too honest and that was the controversial comment.

Turns out he's right. It isn't so much they wanted to use their 1st round pick on a guy who is more likely to be a 3rd line C than 2nd line C (thus the wrath) ... it's the fact it's such a weak draft the best prospect they could draft at that position has an absolute ceiling of 2nd C tops, but more probable to become a 3C.

And the way it's panned out, looks like 4C is more probable than a 3C too ... but that isn't Nonis' fault.

btw, Keefe said Leipeic will play in the next game. He just 'couldn't finish last night's game' but he's going to be fine.

Bit of relief I guess.

If you literally think the available players are shit, it's probably a good time to trade the 1st for something you do like or need.

Yeah I think 3rd line was more of the floor, and the quote actually specifically mentioned 2nd line Hanzal type upside. Which imo was reasonable based on his draft year production.

Hanzal isn't really a second liner either though....

Hanzal isn't really a second liner either though....

Back