• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs sign John Tavares to 7 year/ $77m deal

I think everyone here should take a bow to Zeke. Amazing call my itale bro... You put your stones on the line on this one and no one as far as I can read, is feting you,. Or bowing to you

There are about five posters as well as Zeke that are world class. Beyond athletic, you mi itale, are like amazing, great job here Zeke. You should be paid.

I will always defend my Zeke. He is a legend.

Zeke called this before anyone, lets give him finally some forumice love. We are so lucky to have him..

I called Tavares to Toronto. where's my hand job?

A lot of gay shit going on here. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's 2018 and all. But still y'all are some fags.

Next time predict something right and you can get in on this action too.

1381192560_Kanye-West-Shaking-Head-No.gif

What if it's only one guy and you're sleeping on pillows full of money for playing a child's game?

Breaking away from the homoerotic banter ...

He just keeps on ticking:

Elliotte Friedman
‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC
10h10 hours ago

Luke Schenn to ANA on one-year deal
20 replies . 133 retweets 356 likes

hey if the Tavares signing means we'll convince everyone to sign bargain contracts - then yeah, we'll be fine cwpwise and might even be able to afford another major upgrade.

I'm not counting on it but yeah that would be friggin awesome.
Skipping all the bromance around here :)

Read Mirtle's article on the cap situation after Tavares signing on the Athletic. He suggested a couple scenarios, but bottomline is we'll be tight but we will be fine next season after we re-sign MNM (he assumes Nylander $6.5M which he believes is high-end of what he'll get, based on Nylander's numbers at the end of 17/18 season and comparing him to players like Pasternik ... he also assumes Matthews at $11M and Marner at same $6.5M)

He quoted from Dubas and made one point clear - the 'good' thing about Tavares' contract is not only he sets the ceiling for Matthews, but it sends a message to the rest of the organization in which Tavares is a 'vet' who left some pretty coins on the table (he left almost $17M on the table over 7 years, if you believe in rumours of SJ's $93.5M/7 yrs offer) and that becomes the culture and expectation for all the young players - that if you want to win and stay on this team, you have to make little personal sacrifices at negotiation table so we can keep the team together.

I believe Martin's contract will be gone, as soon as this summer and I don't think we have to eat any contract, we may have to lose a late pick or so. There are apparently still GMs who believe in truculence in 2018.

Here's the Mirtle projection, btw ...

Marleau (6.5) - Matthews (11) - Nylander (6.5)
Hyman (2.25) - Tavares (11) - Marner (6.5)
Johnsson (1.25) - Kadri (4.5) - Brown (2.1)
Grundstrom (0.95) - Lindholm (0.8) - Kapanen (1.85)

(Kessel buyout 1.2)

Total F = 56.4M

Rielly (5) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Gardiner (6) - Dermott (0.8)
Borgman (1) - Rosen (1)
Holl (0.8)

Total D = $19.1

Andersen (5)
Sparks (0.8)

TOtal G = $5.8

Team total = $81.3

It will be tight, but we can keep MNM, Marleau and Gardiner (assuming he re-signs at $6M, which is possible if he leaves some $$ on the table). Alternatively we can also go after another D and $6M does give you some options.

And then Marleau's contract comes off the book in 2020 summer, which gives us another $6.5M with no more emerging young star player to re-sign. At some point good teams can't keep everyone, and that same thing happened to Pittsburgh and Chicago. But as long as you can keep your core, and a stream of young players from drafts to compliment your team, you can keep this thing running for a long time.

In the 2 hours meeting with Tavares, Tavares asked Dubas to show him the projection of roster and cap space year by year so that he can be convinced they CAN indeed contend for all 7 years of his contract, and Dubas was able to convince him. I'm sure he has this cap thing mapped out over the next 7 years already while taking into consideration of different options. I'm not worried.

Tavares took less to play here. Matthews will take less too, $10m. Marner won’t get $9m. Martin will be gone.

And the cap will go up each year.

You guys worry way too much.

Assuming Matthews continues to improve... there's no chance he signs for $10m. Remember... he's not a Toronto boy like Tavares.

I'm also pretty sure the question "what are you going to do about the defence" came up, and that the answer was not "we're going to ship out Nylander for somebody as soon as you get here"

I think everyone here should take a bow to Zeke. Amazing call my itale bro... You put your stones on the line on this one and no one as far as I can read, is feting you,. Or bowing to you

There are about five posters as well as Zeke that are world class. Beyond athletic, you mi itale, are like amazing, great job here Zeke. You should be paid.

I will always defend my Zeke. He is a legend.

Zeke called this before anyone, lets give him finally some forumice love. We are so lucky to have him..

ShortPleasingCutworm-max-1mb.gif

Back