• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

League and Rules Discussion

I think buyouts would cause a lot less movement.

And yes... The floor will be like the ceiling. Probably 20% higher than the NHL's number.

Also I think the days on NHL offering real long real bad contracts is over most deals will be 5 years or under so it wouldn't hurt to bad if you ended up with a bad contract. And if so you would have to move it at - value

Buyouts would just cause a lot more work/confusion/tracking than necessary imo. Especially as a punishment for having a bad contract that you had absolutely no control over.

For instance... in the other league I have Matt Beleskey. Lets assume he's a useful player... all of a sudden Boston gives him a ridiculous contract. Nobody thinks he's worth almost $4M a year... especially me. So now all of a sudden I am forced to pay almost $4M for a player that isn't worth nearly that. That sucks for me. Or I pay a buyout penalty to get rid of a player that was useful to me. So I'm being punished twice for something that had nothing to do with me whatsoever.

Bad contracts will screw owners... but we don't need to compound this.

Again... if we were doing an auction system where we are ultimately deciding to give out the contracts, then I think we'd have to have buyouts as a deterrent to overpaying with no consequence.

Buyouts would just cause a lot more work/confusion/tracking than necessary imo. Especially as a punishment for having a bad contract that you had absolutely no control over.

For instance... in the other league I have Matt Beleskey. Lets assume he's a useful player... all of a sudden Boston gives him a ridiculous contract. Nobody thinks he's worth almost $4M a year... especially me. So now all of a sudden I am forced to pay almost $4M for a player that isn't worth nearly that. That sucks for me. Or I pay a buyout penalty to get rid of a player that was useful to me. So I'm being punished twice for something that had nothing to do with me whatsoever.

Bad contracts will screw owners... but we don't need to compound this.

Again... if we were doing an auction system where we are ultimately deciding to give out the contracts, then I think we'd have to have buyouts as a deterrent to overpaying with no consequence.
You've made some good points with contract being out of our control. I would still think that our most realistic approach is to stick with buy outs. Almost every team in the NHL has bad contracts that's all part of being a gm. I would like to make this pool as close as we can to real NHL front office struggles. I would look at doing one buy out per year (no penalty) and a second (with penalty). Also I would volunteer to keep track and submit cap penalties to the Commish at the start of every year. Either way I cool with whatever the pool decides to go with just would prefer this route.

Man that would just kill any sort of movement though. Most teams in the league probably make 20+ adds and drops in a season. That means you'd have to buy out like 20 or more players? And keeping track of all that? Talk about a nightmare.

I could maybe get behind something like... if a player's cap hit is over $4M you need to buy him out.

10% for the 1st buyout
20% for the 2nd
30% for the 3rd

and so on?

Man that would just kill any sort of movement though. Most teams in the league probably make 20+ adds and drops in a season. That means you'd have to buy out like 20 or more players? And keeping track of all that? Talk about a nightmare.

Never really looked at that side of it. I try and be aggressive in offseason and stand pat during year unless I really like someone or something big changes. Other owners would rather make a lot of moves during the year. We may have to just get away from buy outs all together. I try and build through draft and trades but others like draft and free agency/waiver.

Yeah I agree with Ray's issues with buyouts. It would restrict movement on fringe players, take certain players that still have some value completely out of the league. Also we'd be punished for mistakes real life GM's make. There would have to be some kind of grace period where you can release a player that signed a new contract without penalty.

From a practical standpoint though, I just think it would be a lot to track. The cap is easy because it matches the NHL. But with the activity in our leagues there would be a lot of buyouts, and a lot of dead money, for a lot of years. Not even just big contracts, but just dumping depth players in season. For example if you have an injury in season, and pick up a replacement player that might have a 2-3 year deal, when your player comes off IR you'll have to buyout the replacement and take a cap hit for a handful of years. Every single time a player is injured. There would have to be a minimum salary as Ray suggested as well just to avoid the paperwork.

Just a few questions.
1. Have we determined draft orders and if not how are we handling that.
2.not 100% sure when arbitration will be done I think this week but should we wait until that is done to determine all players salaries or is everyone comfortable moving forward with the draft. (I'm ok with starting draft now is just an issue that could come up ).

2. Arbitration is something we might want to wait on.

Would be nice to get some more opinions on these issues. I would be fine either way.

Right now we've settled on 20% more than the NHL. Maybe we could go to 25% if we only have 14 teams.

Also I was going through your list of top 100 scorers. Is there a way that we can figure out top 300 scorers on our own through fantrax

Also I was going through your list of top 100 scorers. Is there a way that we can figure out top 300 scorers on our own through fantrax

Yeah, just set it to "show 100 per page." Then look through the first 3 pages.

Handling buy outs would be ridiculous....it's better if we just allow drops and leave it at that. The only piece of cap compliance we should be concerned with, is that at any given time, the total amount of AAV you have on your roster is compliant with our cap limit.

Handling buy outs would be ridiculous....it's better if we just allow drops and leave it at that. The only piece of cap compliance we should be concerned with, is that at any given time, the total amount of AAV you have on your roster is compliant with our cap limit.

I agree. At first I was all for buy out only because I wanted to make it as realistic as possible. After some of the negatives were brought up I have no interest in buy outs

Has anyone talked on wether or not we will be able to move up and down in the draft. Obviously it would have to have two picks going either way. IE. 5th round + 15th round for 9th round and 10th round

Back