• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Re: OT: Canadian Politics

so Chretian/Martin wiped out a 40b dollar deficit left by the Cons all through EI surpluses ?

you are truly are ****ing retarded

a) Governments always tweak their numbers to their benefit. The Liberals balanced budgets after pilfering EI accounts. The Conservatives sold GM shares (that weren't sold at bad price).
b) New governments always say the old government left the finances in more than a mess. It allows them to take a parting shot at the old government, and also helps them justify deficits and debt.

It's clockwork.

Great post.

The Chrétien/Martin Liberals also made huge cuts to the military and health transfers to the provinces that Conservatives would never be allowed to get away with.

Let's not pretend that they were these brilliant fiscal managers. In retrospect I agree with many of the decisions, but they still raided the social welfare purse to balance those budgets.

yup that Harper is a ****ing genius , only a brilliant fiscal manager could take a 10b surplus and turn it into 7 straight years of deficits , unlike those incompetent Libs who dug us out of a 40b dollar hole and ran 9 straight years of surpluses

Last edited:

so Chretian/Martin wiped out a 40b dollar deficit left by the Cons all through EI surpluses ?

you are truly are ****ing retarded

Nah. They also used 30 billion from the Public Service Pension fund, cuts to the transfer payments to the provinces etc.

Unfortunately the preference margin of trust isn't that big and against registered voters is pretty much non- existent. The biggest difference is in what Americans deem to be the top issues.

yup that Harper is a ****ing genius , only a brilliant fiscal manager could take a 10b surplus and turn it into 7 straight years of deficits , unlike those incompetent Libs who dug us out of a 40b dollar hole and ran 9 straight years of surpluses
It's almost like you didn't read any news from outside of Canada over the past decade.

It's almost like you didn't read any news from outside of Canada over the past decade.

I love how you refuse to engage me on this subject, but continue to return to it whenever the Conservative fiscal record is brought up.

wait a minute....didn't GDP spend on the military stay flat during the Harper years?

So the Liberals balanced their budgets due to pilfering the military, but while spending pretty much identical adjusted totals during their reign, the Conservatives didn't?

neo-cons are doing a lot of yammering in the social medias.... It's like they still don't believe they got trounced

neo-cons are doing a lot of yammering in the social medias.... It's like they still don't believe they got trounced
The Globe, Sun & Post have all been pretty hilarious post-election. Ever since the election (and especially since the Paris attacks), it seems like there's just been a constant stream of preachy, patronizing editorials on a wide variety of topics encouraging Trudeau to do...well, pretty much exactly what Harper would do in the same situation.

Hey look, a prime minister of Canada has sat down and talked to the premiers of Canada.

It's been what, 6 years since that last happened?

The Globe, Sun & Post have all been pretty hilarious post-election. Ever since the election (and especially since the Paris attacks), it seems like there's just been a constant stream of preachy, patronizing editorials on a wide variety of topics encouraging Trudeau to do...well, pretty much exactly what Harper would do in the same situation.

I guess "He's Just Not Ready" is more than a campaign slogan. Everyone wants to help the kid out.

Picture of the campaign thus far. Bern with Killer Mike.

CUhup7uW4AMZGlm.jpg:large

wait a minute....didn't GDP spend on the military stay flat during the Harper years?

So the Liberals balanced their budgets due to pilfering the military, but while spending pretty much identical adjusted totals during their reign, the Conservatives didn't?

to be fair, i know some people who served pre-cons and some people who served post and it really was night and day.

a former colleague said the equipment was so old, dated and in a state of such disrepair that there were times they had to borrow equipment - including (in the former colleague's case) an airplane to get home (this would have been mid-90s and i forget exactly where he was returning from but i think related to kosovo). he said they sat on the tarmac for hours, then they had them board a US plane from the tarmac right as the American soldiers were disembarking. i heard the story hears ago and am forgetting some details, but he said it was just totally humiliating.

friends who served in afghanistan didn't have nearly the same sort of experience.

Back