• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Quest for the Holy Grail

Looks like Nikita Soshnikov is back out for practice today---apparently the first time he's hit the ice since his injury against the Bruins on March 20th.

Eric Fehr is also continuing to ramp up his on-ice workouts.

With the way Kapanen's playing though, have to assume that Fehr, Soshnikov, and the forgotten man---Josh Leivo---won't get a sniff of a roster spot until someone's injured.

Honestly Martin has done a good job of laying a beating on Wilson. He scored the fluky goal, but otherwise he's just been getting punched and hacked by Martin.

I love Martin's work this series.

The same way that Hyman is a relentless forechecker, Martin is a relentless hitter. He finishes every single ****ing check and I love it. It is wearing down the Caps in a noticeable way when he's on, especially when he and Boyle get a cycle going in the corners, you just can't drag either of those two guys down. It's amazing.

I don't know how I feel about Martin.

On one hand, Martin is a reckless hitter, every shift he goes on the ice and just hits one body after another, and he does this while not picking up penalty, and not being a defensive liability. That should make him a good 4th liner.

OTOH, Martin, compared to Boyle and Kap, is such an offensive blackhole on that line. The play always ends on his stick. For most 4th line this may not be much of an issue, but Boyle and Kap does have offensive potential and it sucks to see offensively they are dragged down by their linemate almost every shift.

no doubt martin does good things out there.

but imagine the speed boost with sosh in there instead.

Martin should be exposed for the expansion draft. That's 2.5 million we can put to far better use, like re-signing Boyle for instance.

Our 4th line has been very good, a ton of talk heading into the series about Washington's 4th line being a difference maker in the series but ours has been better. Wouldn't change anything right now unless we are forced to make that change.

maybe not but I can't see how you waste a protection spot on a guy like that.
Yeah, he seems pretty likely to be exposed. If it's not him, they'd either have to re-sign Ben Smith, or expose one of Kadri, JVR, Bozak, Komarov or Brown.

But I can't see Vegas being interested in three more years of Martin.

Not when they could just take Fehr and his expiring deal, or poach one of Rychel, Leipsic, Leivo or Marincin.

Yeah, he seems pretty likely to be exposed. If it's not him, they'd either have to re-sign Ben Smith, or expose one of Kadri, JVR, Bozak, Komarov or Brown.

But I can't see Vegas being interested in three more years of Martin.

Not when they could just take Fehr and his expiring deal, or poach one of Rychel, Leipsic, Leivo or Marincin.

I thought Brown doesn't need to be protected as a first year player?

As for the Martin issue, I get that everyone loves Boyle, and I think he's doing a good job too, but he's really not too different than Martin out there. Boyle has maybe a little more offensive ability, and Martin is much more physical. When we got Boyle, looking at his goal totals, I thought he was better than the 4th line, but he's really not. So if the notion is to lose Martin in order to pay Boyle, I don't really get the rationale.

And I've said this many times before, we are not in any way hurting for money. Martin's deal doesn't do shit to the cap at least for the next two years. Maybe in year 4 of the deal, but that's a ways off. There's no reason to get rid of him, and many reasons to keep him.

As for Sosh and his speed, all I can say is meh. The guy is not made to be a 4th liner. He should be playing on the third line where you can put his offensive abilities to use. I really don't want him on the fourth line, especially when we already have Kapanen there playing that exact role. Having a Boyle/Kapanen/Martin line is better than Boyle/Kapanen/Sosh line, imo. We need Martin's intimidation and physicality much, much more than we need a few shots from Sosh. And I bet you that if you subtract the size and muscle of Martin and add the speed of Sosh, that line isn't as effective out there since there'd be two smaller guys that the Caps could lean on physically.

I really like the lines and wouldn't change a thing. The only thing I would want to see (next year, probably) is having either Kapanen graduate to the first line with Matthews, and drop Hyman down to the third or fourth line, or acquiring a true big bodied scorer for the first line, having Kapanen on a lower line and Hyman on the fourth line.

It's tough to even project out now the way that Bozak is contributing. Before, the easy answer was throwing him out, moving Nylander to C, and opening up a space for Kapanen. It still probably goes down that way, but Bozak is making a case to stick around, at least for next year through his contract.

Dart Guy pretty popular with Leafs players' families...

poPhF3gvj

poovQeYRj

Before the Leafs got Boyle they couldn't play that line regularly without getting caught in their own end and had to heavily shelter it. Now they play the 4th line 10+ minutes a game against anyone. Don't have to worry about them getting caught on the ice after an icing. Don't have to worry about them at all.

Boyle isn't flashy, and not particularly great, but he is one of the best 4th line centers in the NHL and way better than Martin. He's a beast of a man, that keeps things to the outside and makes smart play after smart play.

A big reason the Leafs have controlled the play so far IMO is that the Caps can't match their center depth.

I love our forward lineup. Boyle was an incredibly smart pickup that gives me even more faith in our management group.

Matthews "Shot every Game" streak is still going. 85 games now.

Ended the regular season with 279 shots, the 3rd most shots ever for teenager - behind Hawerchuk, Gretzky and in front of Crosby.

Last edited:
martin's overpaid but he has his uses. it's pretty awesome to have a huge guy who runs around hitting everybody all the time. and he finishes every check. it's also nice to have a guy who can answer the bell against heavyweights. he isn't a good fighter but he won't back down.

and for a guy who plays the game he plays, he doesn't take a lot of penalties.

and, like leafman said, he made wilsin into a little bitch yesterday, which was nice.

Back