• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Quest for the Holy Grail

Some excerpts from that article:

"Think about that for one second, and try not to shudder. The coach of a veteran team that rang up 55 wins and 118 points — that has the Stanley Cup, and only the Stanley Cup, in mind — believes his team has been chasing the kiddos from the Leafs. You know why he thinks that? Because they have."

"They’re probably not deep enough defensively or mature enough to race all the way to the Cup finals. But don’t think for a second they can’t win a series — this series."

"Toronto carried play for so much of the second and third periods, you got the feeling that each minute provided more confidence. So many Leafs hadn’t appeared in a playoff game before this week. Yet they know, now, that they have twice played in the home building of the Stanley Cup favorites (embrace that title still, Caps fans), and have essentially played them even for 60 minutes, and more, each time."

"But this is no longer a cute little preview of the NHL’s team of the future. This is a series between two game teams that look in some ways to be evenly matched. That might not be what the Capitals wanted when the playoffs began. But that’s exactly what they have, and they have no choice but to deal with it."

I definitely thought there were periods where we really took it to them but BKerr was saying they've been completely dominated based on the #.

pnsB31k3p

High praise.

I think when I watch how close the series has been for us in the first 2 games, I realize how GOOD a team Washington is. The Backstrom line is VERY, VERY dominating at times and they got it all - physical, good shot, good play maker, speed, size. And there are shifts (like the 3-3 goal in game 2) that they absolutely dominated us. Then you look at their 2nd line, 3rd line, and even their 4th line .... they are without a mistake a great team. But to see we can go head to head with them and hold our own, tells us how good and how DEEP our forwards are too, and how well Babs has prepared this team for the playoff thus far.

And I'm excited to see when this series moves to Toronto tonight. I expect the young guys to have some kind of early jitters playing in front of the home crowd for the first time in playoff, but once that's over, watch out, because Babs have the last change, the Leafs have the home crowd (and, hopefully an edge in officiating like WSH had at home?) behind us. Plus the kids should have a new found confidence after splitting the first 2 games in WSH.

It remains to be seen how our blueline will hold up, because as is it was kinda amazing we could play THAT well in game 1 + 2 without our 2nd best dman, and how long can that last against a team like the Caps who keep coming and coming and coming at you?

If the Caps are indeed a good playoff team I think they will find yet another gear tonight and the Leafs will have to match that. But it should be a great game.

The unnamed coach in that article is right. As much as the Leafs are a "team of the future", their forward group stacks up really well against Washington's right now.

The first line of Ovi-Backstrom-Oshie is an edge for Washington over whatever our "1st" line is. On the flip side, whether it's the Matthews, Kadri or Bozak group that's our "third line", they've got a significant edge over Washington's third unit of Connolly-Eller-Burakovsky. And then the teams' respective 2nd & 4th lines are pretty much a wash, IMO.

And I really don't think the Caps were prepared to deal with that. Not in round 1. That's where all these comments about "wearing the Leafs down" are coming from. The Caps are used to being a matchup nightmare and grinding teams down with their superior depth, but that's not an option with a Leaf team that's just as deep as they are, but with a lot of younger legs.

I mean our 4th line won us game 2. Matthews hasn't even done anything yet.

The Leafs depth up front is stupid. They have 5 60+ point players and a 20 year old 1st round pick that is one of the top players in the AHL and a 15-20 goal center on the 4th line.

I mean our 4th line won us game 2. Matthews hasn't even done anything yet.

The Leafs depth up front is stupid. They have 5 60+ point players and a 20 year old 1st round pick that is one of the top players in the AHL and a 15-20 goal center on the 4th line.
That's another thing. Something else I've seen a lot of chatter about is how much better the Caps can still be.

But Matthews, Nylander & Kadri all don't even have a single point for the Leafs yet. Three guys that all finished the regular season with 60+ points, and combined for 94 goals. And without a single goal or point from any of them, they took the Caps to OT in two straight games, and took home ice away from the Caps.

So, the Caps can still be better? That's great, so can the Leafs.

Zaitsev is taking part in regular practice, and is paired with Jake Gardiner. So, looking pretty good for him being back in tonight.

With Polak gone, these are now our pairings:

Rielly-Hunwick
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-Carrick

Huge add, but man are we glaringly short one D with Hunwick playing on the first pair.

Clearly our biggest weakness by far. Luckily Hunny is playing well.

C Matthews (19): 3gms, 1gls, 2pts, 21:01 (27gls/55pts), 69.1xgf% (-8.2)
W Nylander (20): 3gms, 1gls, 1pts, 19:04 (27gls/27pts), 71.7xgf% (+3.0)
W Hyman (24): 3gms, 0gls, 1pts, 19:09 (0gls/27pts), 65.0xgf% (-10.0)

C Bozak (30): 3gms, 1gls, 3pts, 20:50 (27gls/82pts), 57.7xgf% (+20.1)
W Marner (19): 3gms, 1gls, 2pts, 20:05 (27gls/55pts), 47.6xgf% (-4.0)
W Vanryk (27): 3gms, 1gls, 2pts, 19:46 (27gls/55pts), 57.0xgf% (+10.3)

C Kadri (26): 3gms, 1gls, 2pts, 19:14 (27gls/55pts), 52.0xgf% (+0.7)
W Brown (22): 3gms, 0gls, 0pts, 17:24 (0gls/0pts), 58.8xgf% (+9.5)
W Komarov (29): 3gms, 0gls, 1pts, 20:13 (0gls/27pts), 55.1xgf% (+4.8)

C Boyle (32): 3gms, 0gls, 2pts, 14:01 (0gls/55pts), 39.4xgf% (-27.4)
W Kapanen (20): 3gms, 2gls, 2pts, 12:37 (55gls/55pts), 54.0xgf% (-8.3)
W Martin (27): 3gms, 0gls, 2pts, 11:36 (0gls/55pts), 52.8xgf% (-10.0)

D Gardiner (26): 3gms, 1gls, 2pts, 31:03 (27gls/55pts), 66.0xgf% (+17.2)
D Zaitsev (25): 1gms, 0gls, 0pts, 20:22 (0gls/0pts), 40.9xgf% (-24.5)

D Rielly (22): 3gms, 1gls, 3pts, 29:37 (27gls/82pts), 54.7xgf% (-4.7)
D Hunwick (31): 3gms, 0gls, 0pts, 27:50 (0gls/0pts), 49.6xgf% (-11.7)

D Marincin (24): 3gms, 0gls, 0pts, 19:16 (0gls/0pts), 55.2xgf% (-3.2)
D Carrick (22): 3gms, 0gls, 0pts, 14:42 (0gls/0pts), 58.6xgf% (+1.1)

D Polak (30): 2gms, 0gls, 0pts, 17:36 (0gls/0pts), 65.4xgf% (+11.0)

G Andersen (27): 3gms, .925sv%, .942es%

Back