• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Off Season thread

Lupul probably should have been traded 2 years ago when he was at peak value. However, that is hindsight now. I still think he has some value if you decide to move him now.

partying is only a problem if you lose

Habs dynasty of the 70s were led by the highly functioning alcoholic Guy Lafleur. Gretzky's Oilers were animals.

You guys sound so waspy/Toronto.

The 70s and 80s were a long time ago. Players take much better care of themselves than 30-40 years ago. These guys are elite athletes. They can't regularly put poison into their bodies.

You think Stamkos and Crosby are out there partying and blowing through lines a few nights a week?

Taking care of the body is pretty important for a professional athlete that hopes to play 96+ games in 8-9 month span at the highest level in the world over multiple years.

The problem isn't even really the drugs itself. its what it says about a guys commitment if they are out partying enough that it becomes an issue. Hockey isn't just a 3 hour shift job a few nights a week. If you slack off ice it will show up on ice.

Last edited:
Sounds like, if true, our kids just have some growing up to do. Which isn't all that unheard of among professional athletes.

But I'm not sure how this growing up process is best facilitated. Do they need some veteran leadership in the room? Trade a couple of the ringleaders?

That's just it they aren't a bunch of rookies:
Bozak: 28 (5 seasons)
Kessel: 26 (7 seasons)
JVR: 25 (4 seasons)
Kadri: 24 ( 4 seasons)
Lupul: 32 (9 seasons)
Clarkson: 30 (7 seasons)
Raymond: 28 (6 seasons)
Kulemin: 27 (5 seasons)
Mcclement: 31 (8 seasons)
Bolland: 27 (7 seasons)
Orr: 32 (9 seasons)
Phaneuf: 29 (10 seasons)
Gunnarsson: 27 (4 seasons)
Franson:26 (4 seasons)
Rielly: 20 (first season)
Gardiner: 24 (3 seasons)
Gleason: 31 (9 seasons)
Ranger: 30 (5 seasons)
Bernier: 25 (4 seasons)
Riemer: 25(4 seasons)

Outside of a few players this team is one with players in their late 20's to early 30's, the "I am young excuse" just doesn't fly, most of these players should be in the prime of their careers, old enough to know and be better but sadly aren't.

We were statistically one of the youngest teams in the league this year. So, yes, the whole "being young" thing, is in fact a thing.

We were statistically one of the youngest teams in the league this year. So, yes, the whole "being young" thing, is in fact a thing.

Statistics can be flawed for example, you can have several young guys and 3-4 guys who are 40 plus and it makes a team "old", it's flawed to say the least.

Hell look at Chicago, they are a "young team" as well yet they have won 2 cups in the past 4 years, we have barely made the playoff once in that same time frame....

Statistics can be flawed for example, you can have several young guys and 3-4 guys who are 40 plus and it makes a team "old", it's flawed to say the least.
Hell look at Chicago, they are a "young team" as well yet they have won 2 cups in the past 4 years, we have barely made the playoff once in that same time frame....

You could...except a quick glance at the Leafs roster shows that isn't the case here...we are in fact a young team.

Actually, I'm curious pronger...since the general consensus seems to be that 28 is when a defenceman enters his prime, you obviously disagree so what's your take? What about forwards?

The statistic I am referencing is average age. For most of the season, I'm fairly certain we were in the top-5 (as in, one of the five teams in the league with the youngest average age). Obviously this fluctuates somewhat with the composition of the roster, but the Leafs were, and are, one of the statistically younger teams in the league.

I look forward to you describing how this statistic is flawed in assessing the age of a team relative to every other team in the league.

Assuming this nhlnumbers site is accurate, Toronto finished the season as the 5th youngest team in the league, while Chicago was the 10th oldest.

You can't just throw a bunch of 25 year olds together and tell them to figure it out. Every good organization has a base of vets that show the young kids what it takes and insulate them. That is especially important in this market.

Burke/Nonis completely failed in this regard.

If you have a couple of 35 year olds on this team its still a young, rebuilding team.

The 70s and 80s were a long time ago. Players take much better care of themselves than 30-40 years ago. These guys are elite athletes. They can't regularly put poison into their bodies.

You think Stamkos and Crosby are out there partying and blowing through lines a few nights a week?

Taking care of the body is pretty important for a professional athlete that hopes to play 96+ games in 8-9 month span at the highest level in the world over multiple years.

The problem isn't even really the drugs itself. its what it says about a guys commitment if they are out partying enough that it becomes an issue. Hockey isn't just a 3 hour shift job a few nights a week. If you slack off ice it will show up on ice.

True but boys will be boys and some partying will creep in. These guys are arrogant they can both work hard and play hard.

I doubt the Leafs face 'party problems' that other teams don't.

Maybe they target Dan Boyle in the offseason? Another couple of "vets" Iginla, Morrow, Robidas (if he comes back from another broken leg), Orpik...

Maybe they target Dan Boyle in the offseason? Another couple of "vets" Iginla, Morrow, Robidas (if he comes back from another broken leg), Orpik...

Boyle wouldn't be a bad option on a cheap 1 year deal, he's that "vet" this team badly needs on the back end. I doubt Iginla signs here, he wants a contender and let's face it this team doesn't know which way it's going. Morrow? Sure love to have him.. he plays with a lot of piss and vinegar. Orpik? Love what the guy brings BUT he's going to be wanting a long term contract worth 4 plus million a season... not sure that's the best option.

Actually, I'm curious pronger...since the general consensus seems to be that 28 is when a defenceman enters his prime, you obviously disagree so what's your take? What about forwards?

I agree 28/29 is when a blueliner enters his prime, they take a bit longer to get going then forwards do. Average age for forwards? I'd say the prime range is 27-32, there are some exceptions where a foward peaks early and dwindles (Heatley, Cheechoo, Ovie) but in general 27-32 is the range IMO.

By the way it's my birthday today but I'll be going out on Saturday to celebrate.

Is this coke off of a hookers ass a must do?

That's just it they aren't a bunch of rookies:
Bozak: 28 (5 seasons)
Kessel: 26 (7 seasons)
JVR: 25 (4 seasons)
Kadri: 24 ( 4 seasons)
Lupul: 32 (9 seasons)
Clarkson: 30 (7 seasons)
Raymond: 28 (6 seasons)
Kulemin: 27 (5 seasons)
Mcclement: 31 (8 seasons)
Bolland: 27 (7 seasons)
Orr: 32 (9 seasons)
Phaneuf: 29 (10 seasons)
Gunnarsson: 27 (4 seasons)
Franson:26 (4 seasons)
Rielly: 20 (first season)
Gardiner: 24 (3 seasons)
Gleason: 31 (9 seasons)
Ranger: 30 (5 seasons)
Bernier: 25 (4 seasons)
Riemer: 25(4 seasons)

Outside of a few players this team is one with players in their late 20's to early 30's, the "I am young excuse" just doesn't fly, most of these players should be in the prime of their careers, old enough to know and be better but sadly aren't.
Well, we ARE one of the youngest teams though. Unless you are expecting teams full of rookies and sophomores, which do not exist in the NHL, having so many of our players playing in their 3rd - 5th season make us one of the youngest, and unfortunately also most inexperienced teams.

And, the # of years you listed is also a little misleading. Kadri, for example, you list this as his 4th season, but he only played 29 games in what you count as '1st season' and 21 games in his '2nd NHL season'. If we go by full seasons, this is Kadri's 2nd full season in the NHL.

I agree 28/29 is when a blueliner enters his prime, they take a bit longer to get going then forwards do. Average age for forwards? I'd say the prime range is 27-32, there are some exceptions where a foward peaks early and dwindles (Heatley, Cheechoo, Ovie) but in general 27-32 is the range IMO.

The wtf are you arguing? Go look at the Leaf list again. Or are you just trolling?

Back