• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Offseason Thread - 2016

I'm on the "vesey probably isn't all that" bandwagon but hey the more the merrier.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. He'd be a decent, free 2nd-tier prospect for us. If you can get him for nothing but the monetary cost of an ELC, then why not?

No big deal either way, though.

I'm on the "vesey probably isn't all that" bandwagon but hey the more the merrier.

Yeah seems to me like a surefire NHLer, but could be anywhere from a 2nd to 3rd liner, most likely somewhere in between. In other words, a replaceable part that likely won't be getting a discounted contract here. Not to mention he likely is what he is in his rookie year. The guy is 24 after all.

With that said, yeah it would be cool if the Leafs signed him.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. He'd be a decent, free 2nd-tier prospect for us. If you can get him for nothing but the monetary cost of an ELC, then why not?

No big deal either way, though.
Not much of a prospect and at his age, he's much easier to project than an actual 2nd tier prospect like a Kapanan. Seems like a good 3rd liner or below average 2nd liner kind of guy.

Not much of a prospect and at his age, he's much easier to project than an actual 2nd tier prospect like a Kapanan. Seems like a good 3rd liner or below average 2nd liner kind of guy.
Just a note---Vesey just turned 23 in May, so he's not 24 years old.

But yeah, even at 23 years of age, he's easier to project. Whatever kind of player he ends up being as a rookie probably won't be too far off at all from his peak.

Just a note---Vesey just turned 23 in May, so he's not 24 years old.

But yeah, even at 23 years of age, he's easier to project. Whatever kind of player he ends up being as a rookie probably won't be too far off at all from his peak.

Oh oops. Well yeah either way, we kind of know what he is already. Those of you hoping for or expecting some horrible bust of a non-NHL player will be just as disappointed as those expecting a superstar.

He might have first line upside bc of his goal scoring. Tough to judge based on his division but 56 g in his last 70 games on Harvard is really impressive. He scored 1/4 of his team's goals the past 2 years.

Find it funny how Dreger mentions Matthews will be present during the Leafs meeting with Vesey and Button was all over it arguing hes only been there for a few weeks so it will make no difference what he says

And people pay that meathead for his opinions

We don't really know what he is already. All we know is he is a talented, young hockey player with no acquisition cost. Odds are always in favour of being the next Justin Schultz rather than Tyler Bozak or Blake Wheeler. But if the kid is willing to work hard you may as well give him an opportunity. There are definitely promising signs there. You only increase your odds of finding a player by taking another swing at the plate.

We don't really know what he is already. All we know is he is a talented, young hockey player with no acquisition cost. Odds are always in favour of being the next Justin Schultz rather than Tyler Bozak or Blake Wheeler. But if the kid is willing to work hard you may as well give him an opportunity. There are definitely promising signs there. You only increase your odds of finding a player by taking another swing at the plate.
Nah, he's a much more sure thing than even a guy like Bozak was. Justin Schultz was a surprise and his lack of success was actually AGAINST the odds. I agree that they have a comparable pedigree, but a guy with his talent level and numbers in College won't bust like Schultz very often. Still though, he's a serviceable third pairing d. Vesey will be an NHLer and it likely won't be as a 1st or 4th liner. Of course it's possible but odds are he's in between a 2nd/3rd liner. He's much easier to project at this age than he was say, four years ago.

He's more likely in the Kevin Hayes tier of players and I'll take that on my team any day.

"Vesey will be an NHLer, possibly a 1st to 4th liner". "Bozak exceeded expectations." "Schultz did not succeed against all odds." We don't know what he is today. All we know is he has a good track record and is worth signing as a UFA. And frankly that's all we need to know.

What he becomes is kind of irrelevant at this point. You are playing with house money. May as well play. The worst thing that can happen is nothing.

#Veseywatch

"We did our best" Red Wings Assistant GM Ryan Martin said "We spoke to his agent about depth and opportunity. He said he preferred to play closer to home"

So Hawks and Leafs are likely out if that is his desire

Probably a three headed race between Rangers, Devils, Bruins. It's fun following this because it's August and stuff, but it's pretty comical that all of this is for a 2nd/3rd liner

#Veseywatch

So Hawks and Leafs are likely out if that is his desire
Well, Toronto is technically about 250 KM closer to Boston than Toronto. In terms of air travel, that's not a whole lot of difference, though. And if Vesey's only looking at teams closer to Boston than Detroit, it leaves a pretty short list of teams aside from Boston. Pretty much the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, as well as (sort of) Toronto, Buffalo & maybe Philly.

Of course, "too far from home" may have also been the nice platitude Vesey gave them instead of telling the Wings that he doesn't want to sign on with an aging, average-at-best team in a lousy city that appears set for a decently long stretch of mediocrity.

That being said, I still think this goes the same way as the Stamkos negotiations. He gives some potentially attractive destinations the chance to make their pitches to him, but in the end he just does what he's intended to do all along---sign on to play in the city he considers "home".

Back