• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Offseason Thread

Not sure we'll ever get value for these draft picks. How can you add prospects to a prospect heavy system and expect to develop them? Sure, some will fall by the wayside or make it as far as the AHL, but these picks may have had greater value if RF had packaged properly. Next time Francis says we tried to make a deal, but the return expected was too high, I am not blaming an unreasonable market, I am blaming our Dollar Tree owner because I am sure that what Francis means.

While he clearly wouldn't admit it, I suspect that Francis went heavy on Euros in this draft because we can let those guys stick around at home and develop there. That way they don't clog up the rest of the system.

we still have a swing or two at free agency. I like Boyle, I like Bonino. Question is do they like us, and will PK release some butterflies from his change purse?

We might be able to dangle some strong short-term contracts with performance bonuses for those UFA's just looking for a gig (say Vrabata). Bonino would indeed be a good 3C fit if we could persuade him to consider us.

More likely we benefit from free-agent fallout as other team's assets need to be shed for the bright and shiny new toys just purchased. Maybe JVR (one year remaining) would like to join brother TVR with an extension as New LW joins the Toronto scene. Something like that.

It is becoming apparent that the ownership is killing the Hurricanes franchise. The longer Francis is the GM the more some of the moves start looking like JR at the helm and you realize the problem is with the ownership. JR looked pretty inept his last years as GM in Carolina, but now looks brilliant again when placed in an organization with proper resources and funding.

I would love to see what Francis could do if he weren't financially handcuffed by weak ownership. With the balance of power seemingly shifting back to the Eastern Conference, I have a hard time seeing a way forward to the playoffs under the current path. Absolutely EVERYTHING will have to go right for Carolina and some other teams will need some bad luck. There is no margin of error for this organization with the current owners and it is extremely frustrating to watch. Please get this team sold!

Well we know Ronnie is still going to do at least some sort of additional move(s)...we still have 3 goalies.

So let's put a possible lineup together again based on where we sit now with an assumption that no more than 2 of 'kids' are added to the forward lineup (I'm going to use Gauthier and Saarela just for this exercise, you can pick your favorite 2 rookie forwards):

Skinner-Rask-Stempniak
Aho-Staal-Lindholm
Saarela-Teravainen-Gauthier
Nordstrom-???-McGinn or DiGuiseppi

Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Faulk
Fleury or Carrick - TVR

Dahlbeck, ??? and Murphy the extras.

That team is:

a) Short of the minimum cap by a little bit, even with ??? being a $1-2 million player
b) Very very young
c) Really not much better than last year's squad unless Hanifin, Gauthier, Saarela, Rask, Lindholm, McGinn/PDG, Teravainen, Staal (everyone really) plays a heck of a lot better than last year and Darling delivers.

Still moves to be made but we are almost certainly going to be doing what Bill Peters didn't want...relying on rookies to get the job done.

I saw a tweet today that said the Canes and Derek Ryan were closing in on a deal,with a substantial salary increase from last year. By default, he becomes 4C.

Been seeing the Ryan signing "rumor" (of course it's happening) all afternoon. And anything higher than 4C and special teams (barring field promotions due to game injuries) will initiate despair. Let's not Chad LaRose overslot this guy. Useful piece...when used usefully.

However, that's at least four AHL tweeners in cmaleski's lineup before the injury replacements arrive. And that's way too many.

From the way Francis is talking, I think they thought they were filling at least two of those tweener slots at the draft. Hopefully they are still on the shopping list. That's a deep-in-the-season injury-bug lineup, not a start-the-season lineup.

Last edited:
That would put him in sync with his three fellow WHL draftees (Geekie, Mattheos, and De Jong), who cannot be assigned to the AHL until age 20.

All of them need to put on weight and get stronger...as they will hear over and over at development camp this week.

EDIT: Quite the law firm name those three. :sarcasm

That would put him in sync with his three fellow WHL draftees (Geekie, Mattheos, and De Jong), who cannot be assigned to the AHL until age 20.

All of them need to put on weight and get stronger...as they will hear over and over at development camp this week.

EDIT: Quite the law firm name those three. :sarcasm

lol

David Pagnotta and AJ Haefele are reporting that some kind of deal involving Hanifin and Duchene is being discussed. Haefele stating "If CAR will pull the trigger, believe Avs will, too." Nashville is also courtin' Duchene.

I'd rather have Hanifin (as well as; Faulk, Slavin and Pesce) than Duchene.

David Pagnotta and AJ Haefele are reporting that some kind of deal involving Hanifin and Duchene is being discussed. Haefele stating "If CAR will pull the trigger, believe Avs will, too." Nashville is also courtin' Duchene.

If you are dealing away Hanafin to the Av's, it better be for McKinnon and not Duchene...Duchene is a two year rental, small and frankly his game has been trending in the wrong direction the past couple of years.

Hopefully, this is just more rumors and nothing firm.

Been seeing the Ryan signing "rumor" (of course it's happening) all afternoon. And anything higher than 4C and special teams (barring field promotions due to game injuries) will initiate despair. Let's not Chad LaRose overslot this guy. Useful piece...when used usefully.

However, that's at least four AHL tweeners in cmaleski's lineup before the injury replacements arrive. And that's way too many.

From the way Francis is talking, I think they thought they were filling at least two of those tweener slots at the draft. Hopefully they are still on the shopping list. That's a deep-in-the-season injury-bug lineup, not a start-the-season lineup.

It's a done deal. TSN reporting that it's a 1 year/$1.425 million contract. TSN had him 24th on their top UFA board.

True, but they're reportedly unwilling to part with any of their top 4 dmen.

If you are dealing away Hanafin to the Av's, it better be for McKinnon and not Duchene...Duchene is a two year rental, small and frankly his game has been trending in the wrong direction the past couple of years.

See above...If they want a top 4 dman from Nashville, Hanifin may be the starting point.

According to KalPa's website, 2nd round pick Eetu Luostarinen says he could consider moving to North America possibly after the next 2 seasons.

Not correct. Age has nothing to do with a CHL draft picks eligibility for the AHL, the determining factor is underage junior eligibility. Julian Gauthier and Hudson Elynuik will be 19 when the AHL season starts this season and both can be assigned to Charlotte, having played 4 years of major juniors already (late birthdays)

In Geekie and De Jong's case, both of them went undrafted in 2016, their first year of draft eligibility. They both only have 1 year of underage junior eligibility left, meaning they both could play in the AHL in the 18-19 season. De Jong is actually already 19 years old. Geekie turns 19 this July. That doesn't mean that these players don't end up back in major juniors for an overage 18-19 season, but it does mean that they are both eligible for AHL play in 18-19.

The Canes draft THREE players that went undrafted last year. That has to be some sort of record.

I agree and I can't see Colorado trading McKinnon. I'm starting to lose my unrealistic expectations that we will make a top six forward acquisition let alone a first line centre. Does anyone have any "dirt" on Tavares? Does he have any deadbeat relatives JeffBear could hire to work at his mansion? DWind could hire to feed is birds?

We need (at least one more) really, really good player and I don't know who that player could possible be.

Funny you should mention Tavares HockeyPat. When I started reading about him wanting out of NY...am I alone in thinking he'd fit in really well with our group and definitely is something we don't have?? Any chances of sabotaging/influencing NY's effort in re-signing him?

I don't see Duchene having only two years left an issue. Sure would be great if he had 4 more years at 3 million - like right. But at least if he sucks, doesn't fit in. We're off the hook from him in 2 seasons. If he earns a raise - well then he earns a raise.

I still don't want any part of losing Hanifin in that potential deal though. Or any of our other top 4. There's no realistic 3 way gonna happen with Nashville since they covet Duchene as well. Realistically neither team wants to part with any of its top 4. If we move Hanifin, maybe I'm alone but WE should be getting a #1 pick back too in return. The value and ceiling potential of Hanifin is far greater than that of Duchene's imho.

Back