• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Offseason Thread

Here is TSNs list of the top 25 UFAs. Among forwards, the pickins are slim. Supposedly Radulov wants $7 million. Bonino? Why would he leave Pittsburgh to be the 3rd line center here? Hanzal? Gagner? I'd kick the tires on them. But Gagner has never scored 20 goals in a season, Hanzal had his first 20 goal season this year and both average low 40s for points. Vrbata just turned 36, Williams turns 36 in October.

http://www.tsn.ca/live/talent/tsn-top-25-ufa-list-interview-period-opens-today-1.788490

I don't see Duchene having only two years left an issue. Sure would be great if he had 4 more years at 3 million - like right. But at least if he sucks, doesn't fit in. We're off the hook from him in 2 seasons. If he earns a raise - well then he earns a raise.

I still don't want any part of losing Hanifin in that potential deal though. Or any of our other top 4. There's no realistic 3 way gonna happen with Nashville since they covet Duchene as well. Realistically neither team wants to part with any of its top 4. If we move Hanifin, maybe I'm alone but WE should be getting a #1 pick back too in return. The value and ceiling potential of Hanifin is far greater than that of Duchene's imho.

James, you simply do not let great, young defensemen like Hanafin go for a two year rental at any cost...hence the reason why the Habs waited only about an hour before they locked up Drouin to a long term deal after making the trade to deal away Sergachev!!!

From what I understand, Duchene cannot even be offered an extension until the summer of 2018 at the earliest, so I don't think the Canes and Av's can even do a sign and trade type arrangement for Duchene...perhaps CMal or Andyt can confirm that for sure.

I just looked at attendance numbers for last year and the canes are 1000 less than the next to last team. They are 10.000 less than the hawks.
Which ufas could be the biggest bang(ticket sales) for the least $$$? I think Jwillie or Vrbata, if they are cheap enough would be the correct choice.
I wonder how long the canes can keep their top players(Skinner) when they are unwilling to spend to help them(him).
Does the NHL care? A team that rates lowest in attendance, hasn't made the playoffs in a millennium, and is struggling to make cap floor isn't what I'd call a good franchise. Or does the NHL consider the canes a feeder team and practice squad for the real teams?

But that too is not a 1 for 1 deal. Lets just agree that IF Hanifin is moved, we better be not only getting either of those guys back - but another player/high-end prospect and/or draft pick should come back our way.

With Colorado, like, Duchene and Barrie and a middling pick for Hanifin and a middling pick.
With Montreal, like, Galchenyuk and _ another player_ and more for Hanifin and a middling pick.

Hanifin IS our elite defenseman in the making. This is why his name has been coming up more and more over Faulk's since coming into the league and us drafting him. RF, please... if you do deal him - you better make sure we aren't left with a whole on the back end AND that you are getting a haul in return along with whatever center it is.

James, you simply do not let great, young defensemen like Hanafin go for a two year rental at any cost...hence the reason why the Habs waited only about an hour before they locked up Drouin to a long term deal after making the trade to deal away Sergachev!!!

From what I understand, Duchene cannot even be offered an extension until the summer of 2018 at the earliest, so I don't think the Canes and Av's can even do a sign and trade type arrangement for Duchene...perhaps CMal or Andyt can confirm that for sure.

That's a good point. But still, its two seasons. Depending on what we get back in that deal - say if we get Barrie back and sign him decent term... then its not as big a deal?

Here is TSNs list of the top 25 UFAs. Among forwards, the pickins are slim. Supposedly Radulov wants $7 million. Bonino? Why would he leave Pittsburgh to be the 3rd line center here? Hanzal? Gagner? I'd kick the tires on them. But Gagner has never scored 20 goals in a season, Hanzal had his first 20 goal season this year and both average low 40s for points. Vrbata just turned 36, Williams turns 36 in October.

http://www.tsn.ca/live/talent/tsn-top-25-ufa-list-interview-period-opens-today-1.788490

I actually like Hanzal here if the Canes dipped their toes into the free agent pool, not only because he has great size down the middle at 6'6" 226, but he's only 30 years old and even a 3-4 year deal would make sense without chasing an older guy past his prime.

Hanzal for his career averages about 40 points a season, he's Czech and could be a mentor for young Necas!

The Canes have to spend some money to get past that cap floor, at this point why not fill a need at center without trading away all you worked hard to obtain in the pipeline?

If there's nothing better than Hanzal available to us, absolutely. Or if you are a cynic and feel that is what the Canes will do (status quo) than yeah. Hold on to Hanifin, Sign Hanzal. Hope he over achieves and bonus mentors Necas (although that projects Hanzal is signed at least 2-3 seasons right?) But we still have no solution as our current core matures and will be getting raises. But that is a separate issue I suspect the org has taken a 'we'll cross that bridge when we get to it' approach. Ugh.

I like Hanzal too except for the fact that he gets hurt a lot. If he can stay in the line up, that's a lot of beef down the middle for opponents to deal with.

We still need to spend $6 million to get to the floor. Sigh, we are such a floor team.

If we could sign Williams and Hanzel for about what they were earning, we might, might have a playoff team.

If Darling is as good as we expect
If Aho, Rask and Linholm continue to improve
If our D is as solid as we think they are
If I walk in the right door and don't do anything to jinx our chances
If the Sun and Moon and the House of Jupiter align
If fat puppies don't fart

We could squeak in

barely

maybe

Funny you should mention Tavares HockeyPat. When I started reading about him wanting out of NY...am I alone in thinking he'd fit in really well with our group and definitely is something we don't have?? Any chances of sabotaging/influencing NY's effort in re-signing him?

I'm a dreamer, I like to dream.

John: Man I soooo Love Raleigh and wish I lived there
GMRF: We're poor!
John: That's OK, I'll take a hometown discount because there is no other place I'd like to be winning Stanley Cup after Stanley Cup.
GMRF: $6 million per?
John: I said I loved Raleigh, not trapped there forever
GMRF: We'll include a No Trade
John: Yes, you will, but what will you pay me for the second half of the season?
GMRF: PETER!!!!
Peter: GARY!!!!
Gary: LOL!!!

I usually don't get the girl in my dreams either.

John: That's OK, I'll take a hometown discount because there is no other place I'd like to be winning Stanley Cup after Stanley Cup.
John: Yes, you will, but what will you pay me for the second half of the season?

Funny stuff.

Just going to point out the obvious-- this team plays in the Metropolitan Division. We are going to have to contend with teams dedicated to being contenders-- Pittsburgh, Washington, NYR and Columbus. Philly and NJD are looking to make real improvements. Until we get an owner that is willing to open his wallet, our GM is hogtied and will continue to operate like the second coming of Jim Rutherford and only be able to make minor tweaks to this line up.

lol ich auch mein freund, ich auch

Just going to point out the obvious-- this team plays in the Metropolitan Division. We are going to have to contend with teams dedicated to being contenders-- Pittsburgh, Washington, NYR and Columbus. Philly and NJD are looking to make real improvements. Until we get an owner that is willing to open his wallet, our GM is hogtied and will continue to operate like the second coming of Jim Rutherford and only be able to make minor tweaks to this line up.

Something's got to give soon...either this team can no longer sustain the "el cheapo run the org on a dime philosophy" and is forced to move to Quebec where Ponytail Pete gets the most cash...or the NHL helps facilitate the sale by finding an owner that wants to keep the team here along with the league who still sees hope for the Canes in Raleigh. I think by this time next year we will all know the answer. This season is make or break time for all parties involved, I just cannot see the status quo here lasting more than one more season under the current regime.

Update with Derek Ryan signed:

Skinner-Rask-Stempniak
Aho-Staal-Lindholm
Teravainen-Ryan-Gauthier
Nordstrom-???-McGinn or DiGuiseppi

Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Faulk
Fleury or Carrick - TVR

Dahlbeck, ??? and Murphy the extras.

To me all adding Derek Ryan does is remove one of the 2 rookies from the my forward ranks. Derek Ryan is NOT going to be our 4th line center, he goes right to 3C and moves Teravainen to the wing. We still need a 4th line center. Derek Ryan gives us more depth and some stability and a guy who actually can win faceoffs at 3C and is decent offensively except for his month long disappearing acts. His re-signing doesn't move the needle very much.

As for all of this talk about trading Hanifin, we would be insane to trade Hanifin for Matt Duchene (someone mentioned Tyson Barrie as well, that would make it even worse). If you are going to trade Noah Hanifin at this stage you better be getting a young stud forward back (Galchenyuk and McKinnon qualify). There is no way we should be considering giving away a blue chip DMan still developing for a vet forward who we are not sure we will even have after 2 seasons. That would be an epic mistake. I've seen this story before I think, and while in the end that all worked out in a real roundabout way after 3 degrees of separation, the guy we got back for Chris Pronger was one of the best forwards in the entire NHL in his prime. Matt Duchene? The guy is a 2nd line center.

I want Ronnie to do SOMETHING but not at the expense of our NHL D unless the return is a young high end forward. If we are doomed to low payroll from here on out we sure as heck better be able to ice the best D we possibly can because getting goal scoring on the cheap is pretty darn hard. I would rather us keep our top 4 D, shore up the 3rd pair (which we already have), get a good goalie (which we hopefully already have done) and take our chances than trade Noah Hanifin (or Slavin or Faulk, or Pesce) for a 2nd line forward who might bolt in 2 seasons.

Last edited:
McGinn, PDG and Altshuller are coming off their entry deals. Chelios and Nestrasil

My predictions:

I expect us to sign McGinn and PDG. Either of them might get a 1 way deal and either could go for 2 years. Altshuller I would say is slightly above 50-50 to be signed or qualified with Connor Booth needing playing time and the Canes probably looking for a vet #3 goalie. Altshuller really has run out of time to prove himself. If he is retained this will be his last season with this organization. Chelios should get a 1 year 2 way deal as a vet D for Charlotte. Nestrasil will not be qualified and allowed to become a UFA.

My predictions:

I expect us to sign McGinn and PDG. Either of them might get a 1 way deal and either could go for 2 years. Altshuller I would say is slightly above 50-50 to be signed or qualified with Connor Booth needing playing time and the Canes probably looking for a vet #3 goalie. Altshuller really has run out of time to prove himself. If he is retained this will be his last season with this organization. Chelios should get a 1 year 2 way deal as a vet D for Charlotte. Nestrasil will not be qualified and allowed to become a UFA.

All sounds about right! McGinn and PDG are both about to be passed by the younger kids on the way up soon unless they solidify their spots on the wing and one or both could be trade chips if Francis ever decides to make a move that had lots of moving parts. Nesty is either a UFA with hopes of finding a deal in the NHL or simply on a one way ticket back to Europe.

tsn.ca 's Frank Seravalli just tweeted that Dallas will be placing Niemi on buyout waivers.

It would be unfortunate for the Canes to not get Ward or Lack moved or bought out before the buyout period ends on June 30th. I would hate to see us in a situation where we can no longer buy Lack out and a trade is our only option to getting rid of a goalie. There was no market for Niemi and his $4.5 million cap hit and salary. How much of a market will there be for Lack and his $3 million salary ($2.75 million cap hit)? This needs to get figured out before its too late to buy out someone.

Last edited:
Back