• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Toronto Blue Jays
‏@BlueJays
49s50 seconds ago
More
OFFICIAL: We've acquired SS Ronny Brito and RHP Andrew Sopko from the @Dodgers in exchange for C Russell Martin and cash considerations.

Over the past 6 months #BlueJays fans have watched Donaldson, Tulowitzki, Martin & Osuna exit. Estrada is likely gone and Stroman might be on the block. With the previous exits of Price, Bautista & Encarnacion the Anthopolous era is dead. #VladdyJRwasrecuitedbyAA

To be fair this looks like a good move. Russ was a waste here. Brito showed some pop last year (11 hr as a 19 year old in rk ball) and sopko has decent peripherals and could develop into a back of the rotation arm.

But I remember being told how impossible it was to move Martin and how he was singlehandedly a road block to clearing salary to try to keep the team competitive after the two playoff years....

another bit of a horseshit narrative shown to be horseshit.

and for the record, this is a good move. But he's a guy who should have been moved 2 years ago if salary restrictions was keeping the team from adding to continue being competitive. We love the dude, but 20 million for a 2 WAR catcher was probably a bad utilization of salary.

weird the jays have no problem eating all that salary for scraps. so much for huge anchor contract.

To be fair this looks like a good move. Russ was a waste here. Brito showed some pop last year (11 hr as a 19 year old in rk ball) and sopko has decent peripherals and could develop into a back of the rotation arm.

Russ had no place with this administration or the current makeup of the team for-sure.

My question is: Why aren't we already looking for players that will be here during Vladdy's tenure?

This is probably a controversial statement, but considering how we have virtually no money tied to anyone post 2020, I think we should be looking for players to play with Vladdy NOW. His window has started. Bryce Harper would be an amazing fit here. Him and Vladdy together the next 7 years would be must see TV.

Obvs won't happen (and Shatkins would never even consider it), but if there was ever the time to sign serious FA's based on available cash....

Last edited:
Russ had no place with this administration or the current makeup of the team for-sure.

My question is: Why aren't we already looking for players that will be here during Vladdy's tenure?

This is probably a controversial statement, but considering how we have virtually no money tied to anyone post 2020, I think we should be looking for players to play with Vladdy NOW. His window has started. Bryce Harper would be an amazing fit here. Him and Vladdy together the next 7 years would be must see TV.

Obvs won't happen (and Shatkins would never even consider it), but if there was ever the time to sign serious FA's based on available cash....

Harper would never come here and the big wigs in MLB wouldn't let him sign here

Its youth moving forward and top picks

Part of me is fine punting with them in charge for the next bit, but I really don't want to get into a case where they continue to screw things up for the next couple years, then a new GM comes in and has to start over, all while wasting Vlad's time.

But on the flipside, I know they're not going to get fired for a couple years, since Shapiro was brought in to be the new Beeston, basically he's here forever until he retires or finds another gig. Maybe at some point he decides to fire Atkins, but even then, presumably he'll still want essentially full control over things, so not like whatever other puppet he brings in will really be any better.

So, we're down to just hoping that Shatkins actually now have a plan, and that that plan will actually work. Always a chance...

I don't follow other teams that much . Looking at the Angels as an example with a generational Trout in the fold for nearly 9 years .

Did they start with youth with Trout or where they a veteran team ? They spent like drunks for a few years which didn't work out .

But I remember being told how impossible it was to move Martin and how he was singlehandedly a road block to clearing salary to try to keep the team competitive after the two playoff years....

another bit of a horseshit narrative shown to be horseshit.

There is a mega difference between moving Martin in the last year of his deal at 20M and eating the bulk of it, and moving Martin with 2/40 left, eating the bulk of it, and then re allocating that money to keep the team competitive, and that difference is on Rogers not Shatkins.

There is a mega difference between moving Martin in the last year of his deal at 20M and eating the bulk of it, and moving Martin with 2/40 left, eating the bulk of it, and then re allocating that money to keep the team competitive, and that difference is on Rogers not Shatkins.

Well, the difference was that Russ was a 2-3 WAR catcher back then and not 35 coming off of a .6 WAR season. You wouldn't have had to eat 75% of his salary to move him after the 2016 season.

Well, the difference was that Russ was a 2-3 WAR catcher back then and not 35 coming off of a .6 WAR season. You wouldn't have had to eat 75% of his salary to move him after the 2016 season.

Harper would never come here and the big wigs in MLB wouldn't let him sign here

Its youth moving forward and top picks

My entire post went over your head. I said they need to spend around Vladdy now (or pretty damn soon). He's likely not gonna be a Jay once he hits Free Agency at 26/27. Harper was just a goofy example. The Vladdy window has started.

... and lol @ top picks. This isn't hockey.

New York Yankees:

Aaron Judge was taken 32nd overall
Giancarlo Stanton was taken 44th overall
Gary Sanchez --- undrafted I think?

Last edited:

Yeah cause no MLB executive could see the decline in play and health coming there.

Back