• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

jimcallisMLB

2nd-rder Kendall Williams signs w/@BlueJays for $1,547,500. Slot 52 value = $1,403,200. Florida HS RHP, super projectable at 6-ft-6, fastball up to 95, pair of promising breaking pitches. Vanderbilt recruit. @MLBDraft

Honestly though, looking at those numbers, none of those are really guys that make sense for us in the place we're in now. Even bringing back the 4-5 top guys from that list, that adds at most 4-5 WAR to the roster, so bringing us from the basement to "only" 5 games away from the 2nd wildcard. And at the cost of 40M or so in salaries depending on how you're counting it?

I'm not saying management made the right decisions in dumping those guys - sucks to get virtually nothing back for that entire group. What really killed us is
1. Not pushing in the chips when we had a chance (ie. raising payroll enough to have brought back Price or bring in another player that year)
2. Not selling when it was obvious we had dropped out. Seriously, the mis-step on Donaldson alone not trading him in the 2017-2018 off-season was brutal. Even if all you bring back is like a Kyle Muller or something, that's still a legit prospect arm to add to the pile, as opposed what we got, which was virtually nothing.

Eddie is now leading the AL with 21 homeruns. Also currently has a .906ops and has already collected 2 WAR.

I for one am super happy Shatkins went with Morales instead of Eddie. Eddie was essentially the first causality of Shatkins plan to bring in "their guys."

Last edited:
Yep, to this day I can't believe anyone bought the idea that if 2015 era payrolls were maintained and just spent better, that the Jays couldn't have remained very competitive, right up until when this young monster was ready to come in and make an impact. Shit, even Donaldson looks like a diminished, but still good 2.5+ WAR 3B. Remember when people were yelling that Price couldn't possibly be worth his contract? pLaYoFf ChOkE!!!! 10 WAR later (closer to 12-13 without the injury) and he looks like he's back to his dominant #1 self on a perennial contender. Weird.

Shatkins inherited a playoff team with solid MiLB pieces in Jansen, Alford, Tellez, SRF, Borucki, etc. --- with no bad contracts beyond 2021, and a generational prospect in the pipeline.

Yet, here we are.

Had a feeling we’d be in on him when the Pirates designated him for assignment the other day...beats throwing Edwin Jackson out there every 5 days I guess:

bluejays

OFFICIAL: We've acquired RHP Nick Kingham from the @Pirates in exchange for cash considerations.

To make room on our 40-man roster, RHP Ryan Tepera has been transferred to the 60-day IL.

Worth a shot. He's still young enough that he could turn it around. The sort of player we should be taking a chance on.

Back