• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

it may well have failed regardless.

But the fact that they pretty much just pissed all over the elite team they inherited and never actually went all in and tried to win is inexcusable to me. They actually traded for prospects at the 2016 trade deadline. In a season they could have won the world series. unreal.

Given our two decades of no playoffs, and given shapiro's rare playoff appearances in all his years in the weak central, it's inexcusable to me that they didn't respect or value the roster they had and done everything to try and win.

Especially since the only downside would be us being no worse than we are now, just more expensive for a couple years.

It was clear to me from day one that winning is an afterthought to these guys. It doesn't drive them. It is much more important for them to be seen as clever efficient asset handlers, than to make bold moves to win that could make them look bad. The truth is that those back to back ALCS teams were an inconvenience for shapkins - they got in the way of the teardown rebuild that they really wanted to do.

and now here we are now - we have received no benefit from not going all in a couple years ago other than some payroll space we're not using anyways, and we have to console ourselves by saying it wouldn't have mattered anyways if we had tried.

I know I'm a couple pages behind, but I just want to emphasize how much I agree with this.

“That means having the discipline to understand that we’ve got to ensure that our players when they transition that they transition at their pace, and not at a pace that’s demanding them to come up to perform, to produce wins, not at a pace that’s unfair. And then, secondarily, we’ve got to make sure we have the opportunities for them so that when they do transition they’re not coming in as complementary pieces, and that’s a difficult balance. …

"we want to develop our prospects in a situation where they are not expected to perform or win"

This disaster decade may be worth it just for this idiots quotes.

pretty much every time they talk it makes me want to punch them in the mouth

have they ever once talked about actually winning, or contending for the World Series?

it's just a damn shame that they are in charge for the Vladdy years. He could be the best Jay ever, but they will ensure that we win nothing of consequence before he walks.

"we want to develop our prospects in a situation where they are not expected to perform or win"

This disaster decade may be worth it just for this idiots quotes.

How does any of this square with dumping all of your vets?

I guess this explains the obsession with 25 year old replacement players.

have they ever once talked about actually winning, or contending for the World Series?

Oh yeah, they've talked about how they are going to be magically a winning team in the future that competes forever after they do nothing but devalue their own talent and give it away for free and don't add anything of substance.

“So, to call it a developmental year, for us we’re not just signing up and saying, ‘OK, we’re going to have whatever number of losses this year.’ We’re going to go into it making the organization better every day in some way – which we’ve continued to do from Day 1 – and as that continues to happen at some point that’s going to turn into an organization that has a sustainable winning environment.”

At some point this is all going to lead into a winning team. Thats how it works right?

They came here with a winning team and had no real desire to maintain it. They spent nearly 90 million on a total output of 1 WAR.

That's a gross misuse of funds.

it's just a damn shame that they are in charge for the Vladdy years. He could be the best Jay ever, but they will ensure that we win nothing of consequence before he walks.

Most projection systems have Vlad as around a top-10 player in MLB. Steamer has him for 4.7 WAR, just ahead of Arenado and Turner. And that's including having him at 550 PA, while all the other top guys are around 650. Steamer600 which normalizes to 600 PA has him projected for the 7th best WAR of all position players. That's kind of insane for a guy who hasn't even played in the majors yet.

At what point can we realisticly look forward to both Shapiro and Atkins getting fired?

3 more years would put them at 7, which would be 2 years longer Anthopolous and and one year shorther than Riccardi --- and they will not have won anything like AA did by that point.

Last edited:
the sad part is at this point i'd probably rather keep them.

the team is in sad shape now, and there's no getting around that, so might as well let them build up the best scouting and development system they can. that kind of infrastructure should help future GMs.

the team is in sad shape now, and there's no getting around that, so might as well let them build up the best scouting and development system they can. that kind of infrastructure should help future GMs.

Part of me is fine punting with them in charge for the next bit, but I really don't want to get into a case where they continue to screw things up for the next couple years, then a new GM comes in and has to start over, all while wasting Vlad's time.

But on the flipside, I know they're not going to get fired for a couple years, since Shapiro was brought in to be the new Beeston, basically he's here forever until he retires or finds another gig. Maybe at some point he decides to fire Atkins, but even then, presumably he'll still want essentially full control over things, so not like whatever other puppet he brings in will really be any better.

So, we're down to just hoping that Shatkins actually now have a plan, and that that plan will actually work. Always a chance...

My only hope is that shapiro is offered a more prestigious position somewhere else like that rumours mets job

hey good news guys - we tried!

Jon Heyman @JonHeyman
blue jays were among several other teams to make a strong play for Yusei Kikuchi. #mariners

They arent going anywhere now for sure, but after the pending 6 or 7 consecutive years of being a bottom feeder?

A 7 or 8 year tenure with 6 or 7 consecutive years as a bottom feeder after winning only with the previous regimes players would normally be cause for firing.

Part of me is fine punting with them in charge for the next bit, but I really don't want to get into a case where they continue to screw things up for the next couple years, then a new GM comes in and has to start over, all while wasting Vlad's time.

But on the flipside, I know they're not going to get fired for a couple years, since Shapiro was brought in to be the new Beeston, basically he's here forever until he retires or finds another gig. Maybe at some point he decides to fire Atkins, but even then, presumably he'll still want essentially full control over things, so not like whatever other puppet he brings in will really be any better.

So, we're down to just hoping that Shatkins actually now have a plan, and that that plan will actually work. Always a chance...

Shapiro has cast such a dark cloud over this organization. The Jays have a serious perception issue now along with being super shitty.

And it's all Shapiro's fault.

The future GMs won't have Vladdy and you will be in your 50's....

Arash Madani @ArashMadani
BREAKING: Per MLB sources, the Blue Jays are trading Russell Martin to the LA Dodgers.

Dwpxza5WsAINSnG.jpg:large

Back