• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Mo's got mo

Lavy 2.0. Even though we know it won't happen, Lavy would at least give the players currently on this team a good ass kicking.

I have no clue who the next coach is going to be (or if we are really going to change coaches), but certainly Jeff Daniels is on the short list, and I'm with folks who don't want him behind our NHL bench. Not personal Jeff, we just need a new direction if we are going to switch coaches.

Last edited:
Yea, what would we do with a hard ass, accountable coach, that was willing to call out poor effort. Not saying he was perfect but i liked the passion. Maybe my age is catching up with me and that's just a dream anymore. Interestingly, that's all we heard at Muller early on was how he made players accountable and they have to share his work effort as a player. Not seeing it myself.

Yea, that'll work...PK didn't burn a bridge with that farewell.

More like ... Jeff's done a great job with the young guys in Charlotte and has earned this opportunity with the big club. I can hear JR now.

This, among many other unknown variables yet to play out this off-season is why I may just wait to make that STH renewal decision this year.

Still a fan, but it's getting to be a principle about how the money is being used, and this sport is largely built on the wallets of the ticket-buying fan.

Bottom line, my price for the same seat I have had for 12 of the last 13 seasons now, including parking, costs twice what it did a decade ago.

The entertainment experience is the same, maybe less, as little has changed as a total in-house experience. What else has doubled in cost in the last decade?

If they're looking for the ouch point, they may be finding it. And I primarily blame the out-of-control vicious cycle of player salary, cap, and revenue to support the upward pressure of salary/cap demands.

But, I'm sorry, just how many millions does one person need? And if upward we must go, then the org most def needs to step up it's fan experience game. Because it has flat-lined into a self-congratulatory "we like our team" as much as hockey operations fell into the same trap with the team.

Ah, but I digress. Subject for another thread. Who's next season's coach is the question. And, even if it's Muller, that's a statement that the org thinks it's on the players...like me.

I can't help but think much of it is on the players, this is a bunch of good ones but each seems MOSTLY to playing his own game, not a team game. And this is where I see a failure of the coaching staff. And of the leaders in uniform. Plus how much of it is the 'country club atmosphere?

I don't so much see a need for a hard-ass but one that can and will UNITE them, get them playing together and build a fire and passion within each guy, make them willing to go into hell for him. That's what we all thought Muller would/could do.

First you have to get rid of the Coach Killer prima donnas before a hardass would even agree to coach this bunch.

You know, staal the elder makes a very good Ontario fishing commercial.
Maybe that's what's on his mind rather than golf.

Now that JR is gone, maybe JD is not a shoe in for the job. How about a guy like Sean Hill? I'll bet very few players would dare play a game of chicken with that dude.

Now that JR is gone, maybe JD is not a shoe in for the job. How about a guy like Sean Hill? I'll bet very few players would dare play a game of chicken with that dude.

How about someone with coaching experience?

If you want to keep it in the family, how about Scott Walker from Guelph? Mike Vellucci from Plymouth? Outside the family, how about Jeff Blashill, head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins? Spent a year working for Babcock, won the Calder Cup last year and another 40 win season this year.

How about someone with coaching experience?

If you want to keep it in the family, how about Scott Walker from Guelph? Mike Vellucci from Plymouth? Outside the family, how about Jeff Blashill, head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins? Spent a year working for Babcock, won the Calder Cup last year and another 40 win season this year.

Blashill has a mighty fine pedigree...it simply amazes me to see all that home grown talent on the Wings get called up and play so well year after year after year with the big club! Anyone that was groomed and raised in the Red Wings organization would be a great hire.

Muller also has a fine coaching pedigree and after he leaves the canes will succeed.

The new coach simply cannot be Jeff Daniels. The Canes don't need consistency in the system at this point. They will need a whole new style of play and direction that will hopefully be set by the new GM and new head coach. I think Daniels should then remain at AHL level, adopt the new Canes system, and continue to coach. In the long run it will benefit Daniels as he can learn a new style and system that will only increase his ability to coach at the next level. I am not opposed to Daniels as a head coach for the Canes, but he is still one coaching cycle out from an NHL job.

A couple of years from now when we are all clamoring to fire whomever that Canes are about to hire as coach under the leadership of their new GM, maybe it will be Daniels time then. This off-season is going to be very interesting with so many questions outstanding about everything from front office to coaching to players. Fun times ahead.

Last edited:
Could be true. To me it's not different than many manager's experience when they attain a new level of responsibity. What you eventually discover is that you have to get a group of folks to work together but you can't be their "buddy" as eventually they will be the reason that you succeed or fail. Speaking from experience, this was a hard lesson that i learned personally. Floating that fine line between being "one of the guys" vs being the "boss" is a fine line to float and many people succeed/fail depending on how well they tread it. I think by getting dumped by the canes, Muller might have a different approach with the next group he's leading.

Muller also has a fine coaching pedigree and after he leaves the canes will succeed.

I've said before, if they name Daniels as the new coach, I'm burning my Canes gear and wiping my hands of this organization. It's not like Daniels has some amazing record as a head coach!

I think it's a little more complicated than greed. Well, it's greed and then many other variables.

Respect
Cushion for my great grandkids
Fair is fair, if X player gets $ then I should get $+

But I think it comes down to keep your mouth shut or you'll ruin it for the rest of us.

If I was to tell the moderators of this board that I'm happy to be here and I enjoy the board, so I don't care if I get the current market value, then marginal posters would cheap shot me every chance they get. Some of those posts could hurt my feelings and end my posting career in it's prime.

Plus it's tantamount to saying just pay me $2 million dollars a year and enjoy all those extra profits that I'm earning for you even though I'm the one filling the seats.

I think they should put all the money in a pot and pay players after the season based on a formula that takes in account that players' impact in the league.

Okay, but where does it all end? Are we just going to keep escalating salaries upward with no check-and-balance whatsoever other than the dance the salary cap does with hockey-related revenue as they both spiral upward?

The 2002 Stanley Cup Finals team had a salary budget of just under $32M, compared to Detroit's 2002 salary budget of just under $67M (!).

But this season we are at a $65M cap hit, over twice what we were at just 12 years earlier. And, not so coincidently, my price for the very same seats from which I watched that 2002 Final occur now cost me twice as much (ticket & parking) than they did then.

Going to double again in 12 years? Increasing, yet approaching an asymptotic curve?

There's an ouch point out there somewhere with some fan kickback. But that seems to be the only thing that will ever stop this "more, more, more!" push upward in fan costs just to make multi-millionaires even more multi-wealthy than before.

EDIT: As long as i have this data open, here's another interesting comparison.

Highest salary on the Carolina Hurricanes payroll for the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals team: Ron Francis ($5.9M)

Highest salary on the Carolina Hurricanes payroll for the '13-'14 team: Eric Staal ($9.25M)

Last edited:
With a 41 game home season, the NHL has already priced the average fan out of seaon ticket holder range. A lot of fans can barely afford a few games a year. It will only get worse. 10 years from now we'll be complaining about 4th line guys making $4-6m per season.

Back