• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Its time this organization start getting it right later in round one when they aren’t picking top ten.

We need to at least find our Barzal or Pasternak or Mcavoy or Aho once every five years.

Can Poehling be that guy we finally get roght later in round one?
There was a stat I saw - over the last 15-years only one player chose above 23rd overall has become a 1st line player...Pastrnak.

A handful of others (less than 5) are 3rd / 4th liners. Barzal, McAvoy, Chabot, Connor were all top-17 with Boeser being the outlier at 23 and off the board when Habs picked mid-20s in 2015

Last edited:
Bang on. We keep drafting Sherbaks and Beaulieus. While Tampa picks up Kucherovs and Points in 2nd and 3rd rounds.
TBay went off the wall with small, speed based talent in 2010 & 2011 when everyone was going size route, they’ve done squat at the draft since other than Point - albeit a great pick

TBay went off the wall with small, speed based talent in 2010 & 2011 when everyone was going size route, they’ve done squat at the draft since other than Point - albeit a great pick

That's the thing. It's ok to do "squat" for years as long as you land the occasional big winner. That's how you make the draft work for you.

You don't get a prize for drafting the most 3rd liners and #5 d-men.

In trading, it's called positive asymmetrical risk/reward

That's the thing. It's ok to do "squat" for years as long as you land the occasional big winner. That's how you make the draft work for you.

You don't get a prize for drafting the most 3rd liners and #5 d-men.

In trading, it's called positive asymmetrical risk/reward

I would categorize Kucherov and Point as the two best players gotten outside the 1stnround in the NHL today

kucherov is the best forward in the NHL right now and Point is about to become the best two way forward in the game.

And than they go and pluck Yanni Gourde who will be a consistent 25 goal and 50 point guy out of the Q....FYI Kucherov was in the Q also.

Not insinuating anything by stating these two came out of the Q...actually yes I am

Last edited:
There was a stat I saw - over the last 15-years only one player chose above 23rd overall has become a 1st line player...Pastrnak.

A handful of others (less than 5) are 3rd / 4th liners. Barzal, McAvoy, Chabot, Connor were all top-17 with Boeser being the outlier at 23 and off the board when Habs picked mid-20s in 2015
What?? Kucherov, Point, Gaudreau, Marchand, Aho are all names that come to mind.

What?? Kucherov, Point, Gaudreau, Marchand, Aho are all names that come to mind.
Talking about 1st rounders (I.e top-30 now 31) - Kucherov & Aho 2nd round, Point & Marchand 3rd, Gaudreau 4th

Essentially since 2012 Habs really haven’t been as bad as we think in the 1st round aside from 2013, compared to the rest of the league when picking mid-20s in the 1st round.

The issue as always, Habs just haven’t hit the grand slam in later rounds, as CH1 has pointed out.

Last edited:
Talking about 1st rounders (I.e top-30 now 31) - Kucherov & Aho 2nd round, Point & Marchand 3rd, Gaudreau 4th

Essentially since 2012 Habs really haven’t been as bad as we think in the 1st round aside from 2013, compared to the rest of the league when picking mid-20s in the 1st round.

The issue as always, Habs just haven’t hit the grand slam in later rounds, as CH1 has pointed out.

Ok so the point was comparing our lack of success in the later picks of the first round compared to the rest for the league. Which is fair, the last 5-7 picks of the first round is rarely top notch material.

Still, I'd say there is more than Pastrnak. Boeser, Kuznetsov and Rakell are other that would qualify as 1st liners.

Ok so the point was comparing our lack of success in the later picks of the first round compared to the rest for the league. Which is fair, the last 5-7 picks of the first round is rarely top notch material.

Still, I'd say there is more than Pastrnak. Boeser, Kuznetsov and Rakell are other that would qualify as 1st liners.

2010 (Kuznetsov) & 2011 (Rakell) were terrible 1sr round selections by TT.

They don't hand out trophies for average.

TT hasn't hit many grand slams PERIOD. In any rounds. Subban 12 yrs ago is the exception. That was a great draft --McDo/Max/Subban

They don't hand out trophies for average.

TT hasn't hit many grand slams PERIOD. In any rounds. Subban 12 yrs ago is the exception. That was a great draft --McDo/Max/Subban

I’d say Gally was excellent and Mete might also come up big...but overall you’re right.

Problem is when you look at this club, up and down the lineup, only 3 forwards and 1 D were drafted. I’m not sure if that makes sense when there’s a consensus that you have to build via the draft.

I wonder what the numbers are on other successful clubs.

Last edited:
I’d say Gally was excellent and Mete might also come up big...but overall you’re right.

Problem is when you look at this club, up and down the lineup, only 3 forwards and 1 D were drafted. I’m not sure if that makes sense when there’s a consensus that you have to build via the draft.

I wonder what the numbers are on other successful clubs.

On most cup teams probably closer to 50% of your roster is hown grown through the draft

I like Jesse potential but at the moment Reilly is a top 4 defenseman for us and Jesse is an AHL player. We would lose that trade in the short term.

If the roles were reversed we would blast this regime for that trade . Jesse is 20 . We got a 3rd for SFB at 24 who is worse than Reilly .

On most teams Reilly is a 5-6th D man at best , he is crap and 26 this year .

Regardless of draft position , that return is garbage.

Last edited:
I would give up a 2nd rounder for Jesse, its completely worth the gamble.

I would even add a 4rth rounder to sweeten the pot.

But the Oilers can't expect a team to give up much for an unproven player that is not trending upwards.

They won’t trade him for that. He’ll spend the rest of the reason in the AHL before they accept a lowball offer and hope he picks it up. If he doesn’t then there will always be lowball offers available.

They won’t trade him for that. He’ll spend the rest of the reason in the AHL before they accept a lowball offer and hope he picks it up. If he doesn’t then there will always be lowball offers available.

However, the lowball offer will get even lower.

There's a point even an early 1st rounder passes that people start questioning if he can be a top six forward.

He's still only 20 but that window will close fast if he doesn't produce soon in the NHL.

This guy was ranked #3 behind Mathews and Laine on some lists

IMO question is more, will powers hat be in Edm let “my brother Keith” deal Jesse or wait till the permanent GM is in place to deal with the asset as they so desire.

Back