• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Hell Gretzky is bigger than guys like Jack Hughes, Keller, Parise etc.

I have Geeman's point but Lemieux would have been eaten alive in the old era too. In his era, all he did was complain he was being hooked all the time. As Larry Robinson said "welcome to the ****ing National hockey league"

Oh man... I just love the "so and so would have done this, or couldn't have done that in a different era" arguments. Like anyone would have any idea. Every single era had small players that were successful and didn't get killed. Gretzky was definitely not a big guy... But if anyone was smart enough to thrive in any era it was him.

Let's not forget that half the hockey world expected him to fail in the era he played, due to being too skinny. Safe to say they were wrong.

The early 80s were faaaar from a soft era.

Hell Gretzky is bigger than guys like Jack Hughes, Keller, Parise etc.

I have Geeman's point but Lemieux would have been eaten alive in the old era too. In his era, all he did was complain he was being hooked all the time. As Larry Robinson said "welcome to the ****ing National hockey league"

Lemieux was right to complain....nobody touched Gretzky but Lemieux got hooked nonstop

We also have to remember how Lemieux stabbed his fellow union members in the back when he supported the lockout in 2004. He was in a brutal conflict of interest but no one dared mention it.

Oh man... I just love the "so and so would have done this, or couldn't have done that in a different era" arguments. Like anyone would have any idea. Every single era had small players that were successful and didn't get killed. Gretzky was definitely not a big guy... But if anyone was smart enough to thrive in any era it was him.

Let's not forget that half the hockey world expected him to fail in the era he played, due to being too skinny. Safe to say they were wrong.

Yep, that's pretty much my point.

Different times but I think he would have been fine. For one thing, players were way smaller back then, Gretzky would have been one of the bigger dude, crazy to think Wayne is the same size as Howe, different build though. He would have been one of the fastest too. He would have adjusted. It's not like nobody ever tried to intimidate Wayne, which is the point I'm debating. He had to make it all the way being a target at every level. And if you think no coaches ever instructed their guys to try to plaster Gretzky then you're just naive, which I know you're not.

How many more games did that McCreary kid play after flattening Wayne

he is the guy that for sure would have been good in any era
he was not that fast, not that strong, not that hard of a shot but was just ****ing so much better at thinking the game and passing

It's like people are masking the same mistake looking back as his opponents were making looking at him. He's not big, he's not fast, he's not strong, he doesn't have the sick dekes that other players have, how good can he be? He also had a very underrated shot.

As he used to say, I'm not the faster skater, but I always get to the puck first, I don't have the best shot, but I score the most etc

His thought process on the ice was on another plane. As he used to say, he went where the puck was going. Good players go where the puck is, great players where it will be.

It's like people are masking the same mistake looking back as his opponents were making looking at him. He's not big, he's not fast, he's not strong, he doesn't have the sick dekes that other players have, how good can he be? He also had a very underrated shot.

his slapshot from the hash marks were the best

Sam Carchidi
@BroadStBull
Weise on waivers a precursor to a deal? Stay tuned.

12:09 PM · Jan 15, 2019 from Echelon, NJ

Back