• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Misc 2018 Playoff News Thread

It was a low hit, but it was clean. He didn't clip the legs. He hit the midsection and hips. You may not like him, but that doesn't mean that everything he does that doesn't look good is illegal.

The licking is just schoolyard crap. I'm fine with them calling unsportsmanlike on that, just like they deemed snowing the goalie to be unsportsmanlike. And they probably should. But at this point, having not called it a couple of times, they should announce a rule interpretation before enforcing it.

And they should also start calling that series fairly. The officiating in that series has been horrid.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

It was a low hit, but it was clean. He didn't clip the legs. He hit the midsection and hips. You may not like him, but that doesn't mean that everything he does that doesn't look good is illegal.

The licking is just schoolyard crap. I'm fine with them calling unsportsmanlike on that, just like they deemed snowing the goalie to be unsportsmanlike. And they probably should. But at this point, having not called it a couple of times, they should announce a rule interpretation before enforcing it.

And they should also start calling that series fairly. The officiating in that series has been horrid.

I disagree... he drops at the last second and gets all legs. That's dirty.

Looks pretty low to me
6670b4ae3ef528a637f8d5d74f1e77d9.jpg

Can't hit high, can't hit low.....just cant hit at all. Welcome to the No Hit League. It's happening.

I have absolutely zero interest in watching 82 All Star games a year. But thats where we are headed. 17-12 scores with no checking allowed. I've already grown sick of watching the sissy Canes miss poke check after poke check for several years now.

Last edited:
I disagree... he drops at the last second and gets all legs. That's dirty.

And I dissagree with you. Totally clean hit. If ANYONE else had done it we wouldn't be having this discussion, or would we? Is every hit now, dirty? Where can you hit a guy, between his pelvis and scapula? Is there ANY portion of two bodies that can contact without people crying about it?

I would replace "horrid" with "cowardly."

The officiating in that series HAS been terrible, but I think at its root is cowardice. The refs assigned to that series are well aware that they've got two legit Cup contenders and they are scared out of their wits. Through that filter, a lot of what we're seeing from the refs starts to make sense.

And look ... the licking has to stop. I don't care if they suspend him or somebody on his own team pounds some sense into him, but Marchand HAS to knock that crap off.

Last edited:
Noting the results in the West ...

Vegas took a big lead and then held off a wild comeback from the Sharks to take Game 5 by a 5-3 score and edge out to a 3-2 series lead. Back to the Shark Tank for Game 6 to see if home ice advantage continues to hold.

And I dissagree with you. Totally clean hit. If ANYONE else had done it we wouldn't be having this discussion, or would we? Is every hit now, dirty? Where can you hit a guy, between his pelvis and scapula? Is there ANY portion of two bodies that can contact without people crying about it?
Every hit? Who said anything about every hit? What's with the hyperbole? This is the first hit in this series and the third or fourth hit of the entire playoffs that I personally have had a problem with. I don't recall anyone complaining about anything close to every hit. You can't hit a guy in the head... and you can't hit below the hips.

This hit is dirty because... A. He drops at the last second to catch him off guard. B. He hits him below the hips.

There's not going to be a suspension, but it's dirty.

Every hit is now scrutinized. Too low, too high, too hard, back, side, etc. Take your pick. Every decently hard hit now starts a fight, on the ice, in the media, and between fans. Seriously, just ban all hitting. The ones we are used to seeing here in Canes Country are meaningless, and usually accidental. Ryan Friggin Murphy had two textbook hipchecks during his struggle here, and was penalized both times. We haven't had anything to judge in years.

You just think every hit should be legal, no matter how dangerous. Hits to the head, hits to the knee... kicking in the face, you think everything should go. Nothing should be scrutinized.

Not at all. But someone scrutinizes every hit now. And the league has pretty much been turned into poke check hockey. Not more than 10-15 years ago, I was in the crowd that thought Scott Stevens was an elbow throwing, head hunting douchebag. And I was in the minority. But we've quickly become overly sensitive to ANY hit that can be reviewed 200x in super slow mo, frame by frame to determine if there was any contact at all from the shoulder up. It's absolutely impossible to make those adjustments and decisions at game pace. And yet we now have 500,000 judges and jurors weighing in on each hit after they happen. We are micromanaging all checking right out of the game.

As big a douchenozzle as Marchand is, that check was clean. He can't win, had he not bent down, he'd have been accused of head hunting.

So the league gave Marchand ANOTHER warning. What’s next, the super secret warning?

Sometimes it’s impossible to support this clown college of a league

Last edited:
So the league gave Marchand ANOTHER warning. What’s next, the super secret warning?

Sometimes it’s impossible to support this clown college of a league

a $2 fine <heh>

Edit: In other games How did the Pittsburgh Penguin not get called for high sticking with his stick stuck in Holtby's mask/gear. (Early in the third)

Back