• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Fun story about operation honour actually.

We have yearly briefings on it. In one said briefing, soldiers were told that they can no longer swear.

Any and all combination of fck, bitch, @sshole, etc, was to be banned. Because, according to the logic at play here, if you say it, you may start to think about it. If you start to think about it, you may want to do it. If you may want to do it, you may try to assault someone.

But yes, it is I who am being a toddler.

That policy lasted 7 minutes. If that.

Why do I post here?

EsteemedGargantuanEnglishsetter-size_restricted.gif

what would make you happy? please tell me.

is it changing male behaviour? changing male institutions of control? I think that with policies like the above, that is precisely what we're doing. underlining and institutionalizing for men in power that you don't use alone time with female subordinates for anything unprofessional. It's certainly not that all bosses are sexist pigs, but having someone else there for opposite sex meetings would eliminate harassment in those cases where it might have occurred. I see nothing wrong with this. And neither should you.

changing the ways we interact at work should be precisely what women have always wanted. Not only that, I'm afraid it's the only way to help address these huge harassment and abuse issues that exist, at least insofar as those can happen in a work context.

Changing the rules is the way we do that.

will there be side effects? consequences? sure.

but nothing is perfect.

Weird that men get so upset that they have to finally fear being alone with women almost as much as women fear being alone with men.

My workplace, the Canadian Armed Forces, has a policy where if I want to talk to my supervisor I can walk into his office and close the door but my female coworker has to wait until the supervisor understands what it is she wants to talk about, who has the need to know, where that person who has the need to know is, wait for them to get there, and then close the door, because its not appropriate for them to be in a situation where a man and a woman are one on one in a enclosed environment.

Same thing goes if I have a female supervisor but those are fewer and farther between.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department.../operation-honour/about-operation-honour.html

Who is being a toddler here?

Oh you poor dead.

Women only have to worry about getting raped and murdered when they're alone with men. Man they have it easy.

Weird that men get so upset that they have to finally fear being alone with women almost as much as women fear being alone with men.
As far as I can tell, the men aren't angry here, its the women who are complaining about needing to bring a third party.

Not even a hint of fear. quite the opposite, actually.

Why are you so afraid of change?

embrace it.

It's the only way forward.

The idea that there is only one path forward to address this situation doesn't make sense. There are lots of possible options. These guys choose a poor one that only further hurts women's ability to participate while not actually addressing any of the issues of the metoo movement.

Last edited:
Not just rules, social norms. How the genders interact with each other. And there are good changes and bad changes.

For example, believing victims so they actually report sexual assaults = good change. Refusing to interact with women in the workplace = bad change.

These guys are running for public office and refused media access solely on the basis of sex. Thats not a positive change.

Not just rules, social norms. How the genders interact with each other. And there are good changes and bad changes.

For example, believing victims so they actually report sexual assaults = good change. Refusing to interact with women in the workplace = bad change.

These guys are running for public office and refused media access solely on the basis of sex. Thats not a positive change.

To be clear here, they aren't refusing access. They are refusing to be alone with a woman. There is a distinct difference here. Playing devils advocate, they could just bring someone along with them.

To be clear here, they aren't refusing access. They are refusing to be alone with a woman. There is a distinct difference here. Playing devils advocate, they could just bring someone along with them.

christ you're dumb.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...ment-sexual-harassment-aziz-ansari-accusation

Men could be falsely accused of sexual harassment or assault. Women could lose out on opportunities at work because men will be afraid to work with them. The punishment for less severe forms of sexual misconduct could be the same as for more severe offenses.

These were among women’s top concerns about the #MeToo movementin a nationwide survey Vox conducted with the media firm Morning Consult in March. Each of these concerns was held by a majority of women we surveyed — 63 percent were very or somewhat concerned about false accusations, 60 percent were worried about lost professional opportunities, and 56 percent were worried about perpetrators getting the same punishment for different misdeeds.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2018/04/04/sexual-harassment-at-work-in-the-era-of-metoo/

A Pew report,(link above) released on Wednesday, identified some similar concerns, with 21 percent of women saying that the increased focus on sexual harassment would lead to decreased opportunities for women in the workplace, and 31 percent saying that women falsely claiming sexual harassment or assault is a major problem today.

In some workplaces now, “You have to tiptoe around people. You can’t even be yourself,” said one woman in a focus group Vox conducted with the polling firm PerryUndem. “That’s a problem I think a lot of men are facing.”

Its not just men who saw this coming. Women saw this coming to.

Kaitlan Collins@kaitlancollins
"You lose all your friends when you’re president," President Trump says, before saying his old friends are scared to talk to him now that he's in office. "I lost all my friends!"

most presidents keep their friends, actually, donnie.

christ you're dumb.

Not sure what your marital status is, but I'm married. My wife has been sexual harassed. I had my reservations about metoo but assumed that she would be totally on board with it, as would most women.

So of did shock me at easter last year to hear her and her sister trash talking the movement. Very liberal, under 30 women, college educated I would have assumed they would be metoo cheerleaders instead they were going on about how in legitimate cases of rape or blackmail it made sense but that with every woman coning out it was trivializing the "real" cases of abuse. And my sister in law was talking about dates asking permission to even hold her hand lest they offended her and how annoying things were getting in that regard. (Hint: one doesn't need to ask for consent every 5 minutes)

I shape a lot of my worldview on what the women in my life are saying about it, seeing as how I'm a outsider in this world of sexual harassment, bit its clear that things are not as clear cut or PC as you seem to think it is.

Back